Author Topic: Unblockable long axes and poleaxes  (Read 831 times)

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
Unblockable long axes and poleaxes
« on: June 30, 2012, 11:09:35 am »
Many times I've had trouble blocking lateral swings of these weapons, as if they hit before the animation suggests, or something. I don't know if it's because of my high ping, but it's been happening to me since a long time ago, and still keeps happening.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
Re: Unblockable long axes and poleaxes
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 12:00:10 pm »
Dunno man but i always get pannic attack when axmen attack me. Hardest 2h enemy to kill ever. Big range,high dmg,bonus against shield,very fast...
Very,very nasty i always die to them.

Offline Eugen

• Count
  • Renown: 180
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Postla
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 02:50:23 pm »
+1
Agreed. I also have the vague feeling that some polearms just ignore my block. Mainly it happens when polearm makes right swing and I left block. Maybe I just fail to much. But then... it really is strange. It happens when I clearly hold my block and the swing goes right through it. Last it happened to me with an enemy Long Bardiche vs mine Espada Eslavona. Hit went right trhough my block on right swing of enemy... way strange.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 04:50:19 pm »
Many times I've had trouble blocking lateral swings of these weapons, as if they hit before the animation suggests, or something. I don't know if it's because of my high ping, but it's been happening to me since a long time ago, and still keeps happening.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Its called hiltslash.  CMP has shown a WSE video of changing the damage depending on where on the weapon you hit with...so hopefully a 40c+ attack from a pole weapon hiltslash will turn into like 10-15b

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 04:58:36 pm »
+1
Polearms have wonky animations, and a very common tactic is to veer hard into the enemy's left side, then release a right swing as they pivot into you.  So they hit you with the shaft of their weapon, at double the implied speed, and at a different angle than you'd expect.  This makes the slow, high cut polearms like the bardiches, glaive (this especially), poleaxes, etc pretty much insanely OP in the hands of a good player.

What you probably aren't doing, and happens to me sometimes, is you need to pivot and/or backpedal out of their swing to make sure your block connects properly.  If someone is circling you and spamming you inside very fast, the correct block will sometimes fail as they are connecting with the other side of your model, or earlier than your block gets activated, or some stupid shit like that.

Footwork can really enhance your offense, but it is just as necessary for a good defense.  If a good player targets you for someone susceptible to hilt slashing (notice a second of bad footwork for example), they will lunge at the opportunity like you were a wounded gazelle.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:15:27 am by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Eugen

• Count
  • Renown: 180
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Postla
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 08:43:37 pm »
Thank you for sharing this! I always wondered what hiltslashing is. One further step to understanding is done.  :idea:

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 01:16:02 am »
It's not about hiltslash. It's about me blocking and the guy hitting me anyway.

Offline Anal Bleeding

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 06:02:03 pm »
+1
they are too fast. also with greatswords the same problem.