Author Topic: More realistic loomed armor values?  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
More realistic loomed armor values?
« on: July 27, 2012, 07:46:47 pm »
So, this is somewhat semantics which is why I'm posting it here (in realism area)....

Correct me if I am wrong but it seems from what I've learned that the difference between, let's say an average set of plate, and a custom made very well made set of plate for a lord or something would be somewhat an increase in its mitigation of incoming damage, but also its weight/mobility/flexibility for the individual wearing it.  Of course, in crpg all we have to represent this is weight, so lets go with that.

Right now loomed armor gains ARMOR VALUE.
From a realism perspective imo it should gain a little LESS armor value than it currently does, and in return LOSE some weight from its stock weight value.

So for instance instead of Lordly gaining +5 armor value and staying the same weight as the stock armor...
Lorldy could gain +3 armor value and gain a -2 on weight or something.

Again, semantics, but would be more realistic. 

Is that accurate?
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Lannistark

• Duke
  • Renown: 586
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Duke
Re: More realistic loomed armor values?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 07:50:19 pm »
+2
What's the point of doing that? People are willing to sacrifice speed loss due to weight, in order to get some more protection. If looming armors won't give a significant bonus to armor rating, but decrease weight then you will see even more tincans around.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 10:30:13 am »
What's the point of doing that? People are willing to sacrifice speed loss due to weight, in order to get some more protection. If looming armors won't give a significant bonus to armor rating, but decrease weight then you will see even more tincans around.

Would be cool to see some more tincans. Currently, all I see is Kuyak clones and archers.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Lannistark

• Duke
  • Renown: 586
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Duke
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 08:07:20 pm »
Don't get me wrong. The idea is good, it just needs a lot of fixes for it to work correctly.

Offline Rusty_Shacklefjord

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro-pain
    • View Profile
  • Faction: One Man Army
  • Game nicks: Erik_Magnusson
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 02:13:27 am »
Supported.

+3 weapons have a damage boost AND a speed boost. It would make sense for +3 armor to match, instead of just the drastic armor boost. It's also better from the perspective of realism. Rich guys with +3 armor and deep pockets will be able to wear plate effectively. Normally heavy plate armor would become more practical.

Currently most min-maxers use lordly medium-heavy armor like the Sarranid Guard Armor or Heavy Kuyak with lordly gauntlets. This is because it allows them to be light enough to be effective, while still providing the same armor rating as plate. However, if lordly plate armor also had a weight reduction it would fall closer to the cutoff of practical usefulness.

It's more realistic, reduces min-maxing, and imo would be cool to see more plated knights around.
I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 02:18:44 am »
+2
Technically, from a realistic perspective, every time you "loom" an armor it should decrease in protection due to old materials and outdated methods of construction and general wear and tear that simply can not be fixed due to stress lines or chips forming.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 03:03:07 am »
I always imagine the bearer of an heirloomed item to fight more effectively just because of the morale boost he gets from the thing.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 10:23:22 am »
I for one (as a plate crutching gay lord) like the idea.

I would take a -2 hit to my gothic with bevore plates armour rating if it cut say 10kg of the weight off it.

So the first to give it +1 then +2 and the final point hammers the weight down.

But only for the actual plate armours that have the horrific weight values. Also I would jack up the wieght values on everything past Heavy Yawshawn to be more inline with GPB around 24-27kg.

So here is what I'm thinking.

The loss in weight is different per class of armours. With the largest loss of weight coming with the Plate class armours. So 10 for plate, 6 for transitional 4 for the mid tier armours and 2 wieght for the light/bottom mid tier armours.

It would make the light strange armour and the Byrnie rather special items. They would be prized by throwers and archers for there speed and protection.

Really I guess cutting the armour value off lordly to 3 or 4 with a cut to weight would be a boon for agi classes and every class in general.

@Tod well we could wank out and call it "Gaining Prestige" and as you "prestige" your items get better. Makes me sick even using the word.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 07:37:06 pm »
Heirloomed is a bad term for the effect that happens as you progress  these items (as ToD points out)

The titles of the stages themselves is more accurate.  And the term Lordly, denotes to me that this is a piece or armor specifically crafted for one important individual - custom made by a masterful armorsmith for THAT individual and therefore offers protection a bit better than most normal armor of the same kind, and fits him better as its made to form right to him, therefore being less encumbering, IE - less weight (only mechanic in this game to represent that).

I agree with Frank that each armor type would have a different reduction in weight...could be a percentage of the whole though.  Like Transitional is 21.9 weight so if it was 12% reduction (for +3) that would be - 2.62 weight, making it 19.28 (around the weight of stock coat of plates).  And, as stated, in return it would gain a bit less armor value. 

Just random numbers, could be more % or less.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 01:19:18 pm »
Heirlooming something 3 times for just a plus of 3 armorpoints is worthless. You might remove heirlooming in total then...
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 07:52:02 pm »
Re-post this in the normal suggestions corner for the love of god. The game isn't balanced by realism so everything here doesn't get looked at!