Author Topic: Some suggestions for 1 hand weapon for pure horse archer?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
Some suggestions for 1 hand weapon for pure horse archer?
« on: May 04, 2012, 01:27:35 am »
I am considering seeking a new 1 hand weapon to use as a horse archer. I have no 1 hand proficiency, no ps, but often have significant speed bonus due to speed on horse. I would like a weapon that could work well under the build. Ideally it should be lethal enough to force tin can strength stackers in cost effective plate armour to not ignore my strikes, yet cheap enough to not break the bank, which i am close to in my set up already, thanks to the arbitrary high prices on horses. I guess this limits us to cheap yet reasonably long and fast pierce and blunts, but open to other suggestions.

Appreciate all useful suggestions. Thanks.

Offline PikeDan

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro Fide, pro utilitate hominum
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Pikedan
Re: Some suggestions for 1 hand weapon for pure horse archer?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 01:46:00 am »
Shashka comes to mind, I think.

EDIT: Oh, Pierce and Blunt? Are you willing to lose a pair of slots for a morningstar? otherwise, the only thing I can think of is an Arabian Cav Sword, and those can be kinda pricey.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is our oath.

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 01:59:10 am »
Shashka comes to mind, I think.

EDIT: Oh, Pierce and Blunt? Are you willing to lose a pair of slots for a morningstar? otherwise, the only thing I can think of is an Arabian Cav Sword, and those can be kinda pricey.

I have not looked at shaska yet, but thanks for the suggestions. I can't really afford to lose more than 1 slot on melee weapons, as I pack a bow and 2 stacks of arrows.

Arabian would be good if I had PS or the WPF to use it. As it is now, it glances off the armour every 2 hander ground pounder is wearing. I need something cheap that can still deal at least 4 damage per swing through armour with my stats. 4 damage is important so my swing can stagger/stun them so the teammate can bisect them with a 2 hander. Ideally in every pass I can bump 1 ground pounder and stagger another with my swing.

Offline Boerenlater

• Marshall
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
  • Jebem ti život!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boerenlater
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 02:18:10 am »
+1
I used the Military Hammer with succes when I was a mounted thrower.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 02:38:55 am »
That actually seems a good suggestion. Length 80 is decent length for horseback ride-by striking, knockdown will teach a lesson to any armoured dueler, and 28 blunt is going to hurt anyone. Price is kinda high (I think 1 hands break often for me due to no wpf), speed seems fast enough too. Might use it when 5x is on, switch to fighting pick when not.

2 questions though. Thrust damage =0? Is it even thrust capable? And i assume the 2ndary mode is using it 2 handed?

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 11:07:03 am »
+1
It has no thrust, so it has 0 thrust damage. Also, do not consider knockdown much of a factor that you need some power strike to make it happen regularly. Speed bonus will surely help, but do not rely on knocking your opponents down if you have 0 ps. It will not happen for the most of the time.

Blunt is a good choice against armor, rather than pierce. Pierce is better if you have a high damage, blunt is better if you have lower damage. Go for military hammer, I will do it with my same pure horse archer as well (level 30 currently).

However, if you are a pure horse archer you better use your bow as much as possible. Even at closer range, you can bump shot people which will help your teammate and use your melee weapon only if you have no other choice. Otherwise, you might want to try Jackie's hybrid horse archer build which seems extremely good. It also allows you to have a shield, but I think it's not the thing you're looking for. So, you might want to focus on a build that allows you to have 5 power strike at level 32 if you feel like going for it.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 11:39:56 am »
+1
You can try fighting axe. In 2H mode nonloomed FA has 36 cut damage. Still 1slot though. +4 to length in comparison with military hammer and twice cheaper. And bonus versus shield for free. As archer you must like this bonus
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:41:10 am by Cup1d »

Offline Boerenlater

• Marshall
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
  • Jebem ti život!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boerenlater
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 02:52:32 pm »
That actually seems a good suggestion. Length 80 is decent length for horseback ride-by striking, knockdown will teach a lesson to any armoured dueler, and 28 blunt is going to hurt anyone. Price is kinda high (I think 1 hands break often for me due to no wpf), speed seems fast enough too. Might use it when 5x is on, switch to fighting pick when not.

2 questions though. Thrust damage =0? Is it even thrust capable? And i assume the 2ndary mode is using it 2 handed?
2ndary uses the pointy end in pierce mode
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 12:58:45 am »
2ndary uses the pointy end in pierce mode

What's the stats on using the mil hammer with the pointy/reverse end? How much pierce damage?

Fighting axe is decent when I used to use it, just found it a mite slow, but maybe i was timing it wrong. As horse archer, I love bonus versus shields.