Author Topic: My Frugging Rageball Guide!  (Read 1640 times)

Offline FrugFrug

• Earl
  • Renown: 493
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB Mascot
  • Game nicks: FrugFrug Owl_Beard
My Frugging Rageball Guide!
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:15:40 am »
+3
RAGEBALL
What is it?

It's a fairly new game mode that is sort of a mix of Football and Soccer.

The objective is to get the ball into the other teams goal, while protecting your own.

THE BASICS:
To grab the ball run over it and it will float above your head.
If you get hit while holding the ball, it will drop and sit there until someone else picks it up.

Your goal:
(click to show/hide)
Enemy goal:
(click to show/hide)
The ball:
(click to show/hide)
Me holding the ball:
(click to show/hide)

THROWING THE BALL:
A basic throw only requires you to press the button that opens doors.(Default is F)
Holding your attack button and then pressing F will result in a harder throw.
Holding block and pressing F results in a light toss.
The ball will also bounce a few times before sitting still.
Make sure to pass to teammates!

GRABBING THE BALL:
Grabbing the ball is pretty simple, if it's in the air, or bouncing you can press F to grab it.
This doesn't have infinite reach or anything, but it does add enough that this feature is REALLY usefull.

KICKING:
This is one of the best parts of Rageball  :)

Now, it may be tricky at first, but if you practice you will get better!

As far as I know, Timing and your running speed effect the travel distance of the ball the most.

You can't just stand still and try to kick, you must run at it and try to get as close as possible and then kick!

There are 4 types of kicking, all activated by the direction of your attack/block.

Holding an Overhead attack will give the ball a "Topspin" causing it to curve downwards and hit the ground faster, it also travels through the air faster than all the other kicks.

Holding a Down attack will cause the ball to travel through the air slower, but it also stays in the air the longest, this is also the easiest kick to do, while still kicking it pretty far.
Picture showing the camera angle easiest to kick the ball at, while still hitting it a good distance with a down attack kick:
(click to show/hide)
Slightly look down for a Down attack kick for a better view.
After the kick:
(click to show/hide)

You can also kick it high into the sky and behind you with a Down attack kick, to do so you must: Hold down attack, run at the ball and kick, but as you kick flick your camera into the heavens!

Holding a Left or Right swing will cause it to curve in that direction, I still am not very good at doing these, so I can't give much advice.  :wink:

Not sure if I missed anything, if I do think of something I will edit this post

I hope this guide helps to make Rageball a better place!

It's a very fun game mode and I hope the devs will keep working on it!

I also want the ask the good people of cRPG to stop dueling in Rageball!

To the forum admins: I wasn't sure if I should put this in the beginner section or not, so feel free to move it as you see fit.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:57:30 pm by FrugFrug »

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
Re: My Frugging Rageball Guide!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 04:39:11 pm »
+1
Basic 101 strategy you should be aware of while playing, if you want your team to be successful and keep a multi going:

Try and observe where your teammates are. Ideally your team should be balanced between the defence-neutral-offence zones. If you see an imbalance in your team, too many people in the forward or defensive end, tell people in chat or do it yourself to help correct it (if you are part of the problem).

Resist the urge to just chase the ball. It's a large field, and like any ballsport game, people need to play positions, if you just mindlessly chase the ball then you will leave too many open areas on the field and the opposition will just pass around you and beat you easily. Sometimes this can lead to dull periods where you are half a field away, but if you actually want to win, some people need to hang back and play safety positions cuz the ball can come back quickly if there's a turnover. At this point you can fight enemies offball if you want, to distract them or keep them respawning, but make sure you pay attention to the ball, because if it is suddenly lobbed to your position you will look foolish if you don't notice.

As I just mentioned, open space is important. When your team has the ball, unless you are protecting the carrier or staying behind him as a dman, you want to look around for gaps in the opposition coverage to find open space and get into it, creating distance between you and nearby opposition players to make you open for a pass. On defence, you want to look around so you are aware of gaps in your team's deployment, and if you see  an opposition sneaking into it for a pass, move to cover or kill him.

One more thing is be aware of your runspeed relative to people around you. Even if you have high 7 or 8 athletics, there's always gonna be some naked clown with 9 or 10 who you can't beat in a footrace. Be aware of these faster guys and always put yourself in a position where you are between them and the ball, or between them and your goal.

Offline ildist

• Earl
  • Renown: 414
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • hehexd
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS, THE MATES
  • Game nicks: Ildist_of_Chaos
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 05:07:29 pm »
Frugging frugfrug
Malaclypse: now every time I eat them I think about her that girl's snatch
Malaclypse: it tortures me
That Guy: wat

Offline Ridicule

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ridicule, Ridiculous
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 02:18:42 am »
+1
Thanks Frug!

A couple of things that I would like to add that are more on the strategy side:

Route Running:
  If someone on your team has the ball and has 1 or more enemies closing in on them, it is almost always better to run away from your teammate and try to move to open space.  This gives them someone to pass to.  It is very frustrating when your own team runs straight towards you (and the enemy) when they should be running away and looking for a pass.  This is basically what Turboflex just said, but it really needs to be stressed. 

I personally don't like it when someone on my team runs with me as a guard, unless we are very close to enemy goal.  Again, I would prefer that they move away into open space and be ready for a pass. 

Route running also applies to the ball carrier.  Sometimes you want to run sideways or away from the goal you want to score on.  You can sometimes draw several defenders your way while someone runs right down the middle.  If you use your Outfit View key (noob alert: which I didn't know existed until a week ago) you will be able to see when to turn and throw.  After you throw you start back up field as the defenders now turn and all chase the ball.  Now you are open for a pass.

Kicking:  If you have a weapon that does not have an down attack, you can also use a down block. 

Goalies need to be aware that if you aren't that good at kicking or miss the first kick, it is usually quicker to pass the ball.  With 3 good passes the ball can be 3/4 of the way down field on the Rageball Stadium map and still controlled by your team.  This does assume that people are in position and expecting the ball.

Catching: You can use F to catch the ball, as has been stated.  What most people do not realize is that a lot of times the goalie will throw the ball down at their feet so they can kick it.  If they throw it close enough you can press F and it will pull the ball out of the goal-box.  Most goalies will realize what to correct after this happens once or twice, but it is still very useful.  Remember, that any moving/bouncing ball can be picked up with F.  This is going to come into play more now on the maps with hills.  The ball rolling downhill can get away from you quickly.  Use F to grab it before it gets too far. 

Rageball is loads of fun especially when there are two good teams that are working together.  It sucks when it denigrates to TDM and dueling. 

Here's a link to the "Official" Rageball guide:  http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,25571.0.html

Offline FrugFrug

• Earl
  • Renown: 493
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB Mascot
  • Game nicks: FrugFrug Owl_Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 02:32:33 am »
+1
I never knew about that other guide, guess I didn't need to make this!  :lol:

Offline Pulse619

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 10:09:12 am »
The Pictures dont work, it would really help, if u showed u were to aim when u kick, i seen people kick from Goal post to goal post, like RidIcule lol
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:11:06 am by Pulse619 »