Author Topic: Ethereal and Spectral arrows problem  (Read 985 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Ethereal and Spectral arrows problem
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:15:55 pm »
I retired yesterday, and became a horse archer now. I just wanted to shoot some people and... I can't see in which my arrows are gone, which completely makes aiming pure luck-based for me. This is something very different than in other mods. I just want to old native projectiles back.
I remember there was a solution for this. I've seen it earlier and actually tried it. Yet I believe I couldn't make it as I wanted. So, I need help.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline bigsean

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Idlewild, BigSean, Tacabro
Re: Ethereal and Spectral arrows problem
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 12:30:01 am »
You have to open the item_kinds.txt and search for:
Code: [Select]
barbed_arrows_flying_h1
bodkin_arrows_flying_h1
tatar_arrows_flying_h1
arrows_flying_h1
And then replace them all with:
flying_missile
Thats all :wink:

the new models look great and all but for anyone with a larger size monitor it can be really hard to see. mix that with night time, or pretty much anything that isnt sunlight and it becomes nearly impossible. not so much of an issue with vets who know generally where the shots will go and listen to the sound, but i'd say its one of the bigger reasons you dont see too many good archers.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:31:38 am »
I retired yesterday, and became a horse archer now. I just wanted to shoot some people and... I can't see in which my arrows are gone, which completely makes aiming pure luck-based for me. This is something very different than in other mods. I just want to old native projectiles back.
I remember there was a solution for this. I've seen it earlier and actually tried it. Yet I believe I couldn't make it as I wanted. So, I need help.

Some people replaced the arrow textures with bright coloured ones. If someone could post that, it could help you out a lot.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 10:58:18 am »
the new models look great and all but for anyone with a larger size monitor it can be really hard to see. mix that with night time, or pretty much anything that isnt sunlight and it becomes nearly impossible. not so much of an issue with vets who know generally where the shots will go and listen to the sound, but i'd say its one of the bigger reasons you dont see too many good archers.
This worked! Thank you. Couldn't find the line to replace for normal arrows though. But who cares, I am fine with my mw bodkins!
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline bigsean

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 04:37:10 pm »
if you changed all of them (each one has 6 lines, replace utility in word does all of them) then you should be good. it doesnt cover bolts but i didnt really have much of a problem seeing bolts compared to the arrow models

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 05:13:20 pm »
I've played crossbow and throwing before. There was no hard time with my aiming when I was a crossbowman. Also as a thrower, there was hardly problem seeing the projectiles :D
I wonder why devs decided to do it that way? To nerf archery?

At the older versions of vikingr there was no crosshair to give aiming a some kind of depth. Many people cheated there as well, and the devs had to put them back. In my point of view, it was a nice change which doesn't kill fun of aiming. In fact it did bring another fun factor in it. But I can hardly agree what is done to arrows in crpg is a good one. Not being able to see where your arrows are going makes it worse than not having a crosshair.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:17:48 pm by Ronin »

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 05:26:36 pm »
I've played crossbow and throwing before. There was no hard time with my aiming when I was a crossbowman. Also as a thrower, there was hardly problem seeing the projectiles :D
I wonder why devs decided to do it that way? To nerf archery?

At the older versions of vikingr there was no crosshair to give aiming a some kind of depth. Many people cheated there as well, and the devs had to put them back. In my point of view, it was a nice change which doesn't kill fun of aiming. In fact it did bring another fun factor in it. But I can hardly agree what is done to arrows in crpg is a good one. Not being able to see where your arrows are going makes it worse than not having a crosshair.
It was not a purposeful nerf to archery.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline bigsean

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 10:13:52 pm »
yeah its probably just an oversight, finalboss' models are pretty sick so it seemed like a good idea to change the models to that