Author Topic: Ban Request: PK_IncrediblySkillful (Racism)  (Read 506 times)

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
Ban Request: PK_IncrediblySkillful (Racism)
« on: April 26, 2012, 01:27:36 pm »
Transcript:

PK_IncrediblySkillful: Would you want to? Australian indigenous are filthy vermin
PK_IncrediblySkillful: I hate them all with a passion

Screenshot:
(click to show/hide)

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
Re: Ban Request: PK_IncrediblySkillful (Racism)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 02:38:39 pm »
I do not think I have ever met a member of PK that isnt an asshole. All I ever see them do on NA is teamwound and teamkill.
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 185
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PK
  • Game nicks: PK_IncrediblySkillful, The Right arm of the guy with 13 PC's that is PK
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 03:22:20 pm »
I don't understand why I can't share my dislike for being mugged in Melbourne, by some drunken aboriginals. Is that not reason enough to dislike? Especially considering they are usually seen abusing pedestrians, publicly under the influence of alcohol. Is this not a burden amongst the law-abiding citizens of Australia? Think about it...

If there's pestering/assault going on, regularly where I'm from, why shouldn't I dislike them?

Everyone has racial bias', and I mean everyone. If you saw a bunch of say, >10 hip african-americans walking towards you on a footpath that looked like they wanted trouble, would you just keep walking? I bet you'd cross the street or something due to intimidation. That is a prime example of how everyone has prejudice.

I, personally have had some quite adverse encounters with many different members of this population, thus, leading to my generalisation.

Here's some evidence:

"In 2008 Aboriginal people represent only 2.3% of the total population, yet over 14% of Australia's prison population are Aboriginal people." (http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/law/aboriginal-prison-rates.html#ixzz1t9V4wbmD)

"The Alice Springs Prison is so far beyond capacity that it's refusing to take prisoners."
 - Mark O'Reilly, principal legal officer, Central Australian Aboriginal Legal Aid Service, in 2011

Alice Springs, for those who don't know, is a part of Australia with a dense indigenous Australian population.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Here in PK, we're better than you! And we know it.

Offline Lorden

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 07:37:38 pm »
You could say the same thing about the black prison population in the United States, but that still doesn't give you the right to call them dirty nigs with the in-game chat. Keep your racism away from the game, the community's foul enough as it is.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 08:53:47 pm »
This is not the place for a discussion about justification for the kind of racism in question.  I find it distasteful to the point that I'd ban Black Wind permanently if I had the prerogative.  I don't, but I can justify a shorter ban:

- in-game racism is never justified or permitted
- a failure to recognize this obvious fact when it's pointed out justifies more than a warning
- Black Wind seems entirely unconcerned with the nature of racism or the effects racist statements may have upon other players

I'm issuing a week-long placeholder ban.  This ban may be reconsidered if Black Wind posts an apologetic ~750 word essay demonstrating his understanding of why racism is impermissible in-game and why racist prejudice is potentially harmful to folks irl.  It may also be reconsidered in light of further discussion among the administrators.

EDIT:  I realize now that I've no idea how to lock threads.  I suggest to those that do that this thread be locked, I don't know what else there is to discuss here.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:25:26 pm by Diomedes »