Author Topic: Speed, Strength, and Heavy Armour  (Read 1055 times)

Offline beniliusbob

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Valmaximoron, Osgod, Gorlinquist, Sultan_bin_SHIELDWALL, Toltbhrower
Speed, Strength, and Heavy Armour
« on: April 25, 2012, 04:29:00 pm »
Dearest friends and enemies,

My character is a polearm build. Last generation, I went 27/12, which worked nicely except when I tried to wear my Mail and Plate, which seemed to slow me down considerably. At least, I sucked whenever I wore it (versus my Heraldic Mail with Surcoat), and I chalked that up to a speed thing--though it could've been that my dazzling duds were drawing more attacks.

So, I'm wondering if playing 24/15 this generation would make me more able to handle heavy armour--except that, in that case, I'll be weaker, and won't be able to offset the weightier armour as well...

Any polearmists out there with thoughts or tips? Does anyone know the sweet spot for speedy, brain-crunching builds? Danke seone.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
Re: Speed, Strength, and Heavy Armour
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 04:56:36 pm »
your combined armor weight detracts from your wpf. 

basically its the weight of your helm(x3), your gauntlets (x2), your body armor (x1) and your boots (x1) added up and and then put through an equation.

heres the info:

Armor weight
Armor weight modified proficiency = base proficiency * (1 - 0.01 * effective armor weight)
Effective armor weight = 3*head armor weight + body armor weight + leg armor weight + 2*hand armor weight - 7
(Source: WaltF4)

This means that every point of armor weight with helmet weight multiplied by 3 and glove weight multiplied by 2  over 7 reduces your wpf by 1%. Or the same put other way, any effective armor weight from the above equation reduces your wpf 1% per 1 point. So 130 wpf with 8 effective armor weight is actually 0.99 * 130 = 128.7 wpf

Effective WPF
There are three possible factors reducing your wpf from what is listed on the character sheet. First reduce your wpf by 13 for each point of power throw, then reduce your wpf by 14 for each point of power draw and then remove 1% of remaining wpf for each point of effective weight. For effective weight, see armor weight chapter above.

The same mathematically:
(wpf - 13*pt - 14*pd) * (1 - effective weight / 100)

what it means is that yes, heavier armor will make you swing slower/do less dmg slightly because of the WPF reduction.
it will also make you move a bit slower.

so if you're heavy strength build and you can only get so much wpf and athletics and you wear heavy armor, you will be slow.  thats the trade off  :D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:59:26 pm by Elindor »
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 06:31:32 pm »
If you still want to be a str polearm, which is OK. Then I would recommend you going 21/18. One of polearm's best features is the polestagger, you need atleast 18 agi (preferely 21) to make good use of it.

21 str still hurts a lot, I dont really think there is no reason to go any higher - unless it alot higher like 27-30+.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:03:18 pm »
A polearm's reach is one of its best strengths, you squander it by going 27/12 in my opinion. I would personally recommend 18/21 or 21/18. You'll kick ass, just remember. Abuse your reach and polestagger at every chance you get. Pick your fights, with 6-7 ath you are probably one of the fastest non-archers on the server.

Offline beniliusbob

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Valmaximoron, Osgod, Gorlinquist, Sultan_bin_SHIELDWALL, Toltbhrower
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 08:12:46 pm »
Well, I use a German Poleaxe, which is only 135 length... but I never thought about pole-stagger...

Thanks for the protips.

Offline _Sebastian_

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Lazy Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Bad Bug Busters
  • Faction: Flat-Earth Reptilian
  • Game nicks: Fenris_Sebastian
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 08:55:49 pm »
Strength reduces the "slow down effect" on equipment weigth.

So with 15str you would run a little bit faster as with 12str... if you wear any equipment.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 09:01:08 pm »
Isn't the x3 and x2 multiplier from helmets and gloves only for ranged wpf?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline _Sebastian_

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Lazy Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Bad Bug Busters
  • Faction: Flat-Earth Reptilian
  • Game nicks: Fenris_Sebastian
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 09:03:17 pm »
Isn't the x3 and x2 multiplier from helmets and gloves only for ranged wpf?
No it effects all weapon proficiencies.