Author Topic: Most noob friendly  (Read 2998 times)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Most noob friendly
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 07:56:14 am »
+4
As a noob, you will have worse K:D as shielder than as 2h spammer. Shielder is not that easy. If you practice the timing a bit, you can get better reasonably fast (so you will catch up to the 2h spammer eventually, then surpass him, because he has to learn to manual block, which takes some time). Then, once the 2h spammer learns to manual block, he will catch up to you again. From then on, the classes are pretty equal in effectivity.

One thing to keep in mind is that as shielder, you need to be pretty high level to be effective (20+). As 2h, you can be effective as soon as you can wield a decent weapon (12+).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 08:04:06 am »
One thing to keep in mind is that as shielder, you need to be pretty high level to be effective (20+). As 2h, you can be effective as soon as you can wield a decent weapon (12+).

Why 20+? what stats etc are essential at level 20 are needed to be effective?
Hello

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 08:04:16 am »
Basically what Zagibu said.

As an additional note, I'd recommend starting out as a 2H. It'll help you learn some basic footwork, timing, and most importantly how to block at least reasonably well. Once you have those three things down well enough that you can get kills fairly regularly (not necessarily that you can duel people effectively, just enough to be able to actually put up a fight), start branching out and trying out different weapons and different classes.

Try EVERYTHING, you never know what you might end up liking.

Hell, it took me nearly 5 gens before I finally found my perfect class. I had tried nearly every other weapon in the game before hand.

Why 20+? what stats etc are essential at level 20 are needed to be effective?

Shielders need both AGI and STR to be effective, 2H can be effective with only STR. It takes until about level 20 for a shielder to have enough STR to be able to deal a reasonable amount of damage, have enough AGI to use a decent shield, AND be able to run fast enough to catch up to backpeddling 2H and pole users. 2H need just enough strength for their weapons and they can start fighting decently.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:08:26 am by Zerran »

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 09:48:03 am »
+1
You can combine both!

A shield + war spear. Great for team support, and you can use it effectively without a shield, if you want to practice manual blocking. 21/18 to give your thrust more punch.
On the other hand, you will probably end up making lots of alts, or re-specs.

A 2h spam, as was previously suggested - is not the best way to start imo... You will make lots and lots of team-kills, and everyone will hate you :) For a less selfish, and more team-orientated game - a shield with longer 1h sword or a spear is imo the best option: you can cover doorways, protect archers or crossbowmen, charge ladders etc. Less stress overall.

Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 04:36:51 pm »
You can combine both!

A shield + war spear. Great for team support, and you can use it effectively without a shield, if you want to practice manual blocking. 21/18 to give your thrust more punch.
On the other hand, you will probably end up making lots of alts, or re-specs.

A 2h spam, as was previously suggested - is not the best way to start imo... You will make lots and lots of team-kills, and everyone will hate you :) For a less selfish, and more team-orientated game - a shield with longer 1h sword or a spear is imo the best option: you can cover doorways, protect archers or crossbowmen, charge ladders etc. Less stress overall.

I agree with this. When someone new on a server asks "What gear should I buy first?" or "What's an easy build?" I suggest spear + shield. Even if you have an expensive polearm/2h or a quick 1h weapon, you will die in a 1v1 battle against someone who has been playing longer. As you learn the ropes, pick up a board shield to match your shield skill's level, and carry a spear or war spear. Learn to provide cover for archers and crossbow users on open maps. Feel like a badass with shielding teamates as you hold your ground on a bridge or corridor. Even at very low levels, your spear thrusts will help your team and keep you alive. If you rush in with a shorter weapon or a 2h/pole without a shield, you're going to hurt or kill your teamates and get destroyed by skilled enemy players.

Once you're feeling a little more adjusted to the game, practice with your shield on your back and try manual blocking with your spear.

As far as skill build, level up strength and agility evenly. Keep shield and power strike as high as they'll go. Ironflesh and athletics are good to level up, but if you want to try out archery or throwing don't be scared about "messing up" your build.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 04:38:16 pm by A_Hot_Elf_Princess »

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 10:09:19 pm »
+1
Arabian cav sword is not a newb wep.  In my hands its super deadly.  I use it all the time.  As a matter of fact, thats all I use.  I don't even use a shield!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:37:24 am by Rainbow »

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 11:15:40 pm »
The ACS is a fantastic weapon for group combat. It does great cut damage, and its reach is a huge plus.

It's not the best dueling weapon (you can range-game well with it, but it's not very difficult to block), but you can always carry a fast 1h for that in addition to the ACS.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 04:02:07 am »
+1
I recommend 2h build, in my opinion 1h + shield isn't as easy class as you could think. As a shielder your survivability still will be pretty low but also it's much harder to make kills with 1h. 2h is much more rewarding, you will be on the bottom of the board anyway but at least with some frags.

Strength: 21
    Agility: 18
    Hit points: 70
    Skills to attributes: 8
    Ironflesh: 7
    Power Strike: 7
    Athletics: 6
    Weapon Master: 3
    Two Handed: 133

That build should be good for you, you don't need more wpf than 130 - or even less - and 70 hpoints let you survive a few hits if you will take decent armour. on the other hand 8 power strike combine with good sword such as highland claymoure or sth like that give you some kills even if you don't have the faintest idea how to block.

You will make lots and lots of team-kills, and everyone will hate you :)
Fortunately you don't need to care about that  :wink:

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 07:06:55 am »
The ACS is a fantastic weapon for group combat. It does great cut damage, and its reach is a huge plus.

It's not the best dueling weapon (you can range-game well with it, but it's not very difficult to block), but you can always carry a fast 1h for that in addition to the ACS.

maybe fantastic for a veteran, horrible horrible choice for a noob. 

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if a couple of noobs suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced, when they died holding/swinging their slow attacks with a 95 speed sword. I fear something terrible has been advised

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 03:33:31 pm »
You will make lots and lots of team-kills, and everyone will hate you :)
Fortunately you don't need to care about that  :wink:

Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 04:13:23 pm »
Go cav, the upkeep will be mean to you but as soon as you get a 30k buffer you will be okay. You need to get a feel for the timing so it will be frustrating at first, but in no time you'll be getting a decent amount of kills. Just pick your battles and try to stab the unaware, peasants or archers. Supreme targets are a combination of those three.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 05:09:42 pm »
Well, it kinda depends on the noob; if the build fits the playstyle, it's good.

If your manual blocking is poor: 1h shielder or 1h shielder cav. I'd recommend 18 / 18, but 21/15 seems to be more popular.
Going dedicated footman and using a short weapon? Consider bringing an extra polearm to fend off cav. Personally, i think playing 1h cav is harder than it looks, so i consider footman shielder the easiest build to play.

If your manual blocking is (or soon will be) medioce: consider 2h or pole.

Not sure what to do? Try a build with a Skip-the-Fun character.