Author Topic: 2 handed or pole for my next gen?  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
Re: 2 handed or pole for my next gen?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 03:11:10 am »
Everyone sucks at manual blocking at first. It's the most frustrating shit in the world to get better at, but it's definitely something you need to practice, regardless of what class you want to play. Even as a shielder, if you don't know how to manual block and get in a fight with a shieldbreaking weapon, you're going to be in trouble.

Edit to go with your edit: I'd say Pole are a great choice if you are more into being an effective battle/support player, and 2 hander if you enjoy being able to fight in battle with a more individual sort of style with a quicker fluid duelist combat dynamic. Poles may be more versatile, but 2 handers still do very well in battle with the right set up. Also, being that you are trying to learn the ropes of the game, 2 hander is very friendly to newer players trying to get the hang of things. 2 handers also don't get stuck on walls or other objects nearly as much as polearms and in general are just easier to use in general. You wont be getting very many shield bonuses, but it's really not that big of a deal.

Basically this. 2H are very good for learning the ropes, as they don't act as bitchy as polearms sometimes do (weird glances off the ground and walls and such), and they have simplest animations to take advantage of.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 03:56:29 am »
You can quickly get better at manual blocking if you have someone that does some practice with you using wooden practice swords. Wear heavy armor so you don't die after two hits, then just stand there and block the opponents swings for an hour. Do that three times and you should already be able to block 80% of all swings.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 04:07:57 am »
Yeah I'll spend some time in duel with you.  Patient and non-judgemental.  1h shield is awesome, but you'll get even better at 1h-shield when you can manual block too.  Enhances your timing, footwork, and offensive ability instead of just defense.

If you want, I'm gonna be spendin time in there alot soon.  I'm specced archer so my wooden sword won't hurt too bad.

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 06:27:44 am »
Scimmed through thread, sorry If I missed something.

Your first loompoint? Sell it. You can buy any +1 and profit 100+k from selling.

If you HAVE to use it, loom your gloves. Or buy the gloves. For example, I loomed my mail mittens to +3. I've never taken them off since then. Ever. Archer, shielder, 2h, polearm, shielder again etc. Ever.

Also, blocking is muscle memory. The more you try and do it, the better you get. The FASTEST way to learn how to block effectively, is to run over to single player native and get in the tutorial. DUEL the guy, not block practice, at slow speed and try your best to block. When you feel confident, up the speed. All the way up to the fast. When you're confident you can block EVERY hit with your eyes closed AND moving around, head to the duel server.

At this point, you have basic blocking down...which is probably more than most people. Duel server is where you will learn to apply the blocking and introduce you to feints & holds. Good luck.