Author Topic: What does agi do?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline JekkJekk27

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
What does agi do?
« on: March 15, 2011, 01:15:01 am »
simple enough question.

a player ingame said that agi is pointless and to go full str. but of course in games like this everyone say's something difference so I'm not sure whether or not that's true

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: What does agi do?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 04:45:23 am »
Agility gives you access to athletics and Weapon mastery. 

Points spent in athletics let you move faster, however the more armour you have on you the slower you will move.

Weapon mastery gives you weapon proficiency points that you can spend to swing a weapon faster.  Weapon master is a diminishing return.  The more points you put in the less and less weapon proficiency you get back out. Most people swear by 130 in melee weapons.

So in summary agility is very good but up to a point, agility suffers from diminishing returns.  Pumping agility used to be very popular before the big patch that introduced the diminishing returns.  Most people swear by 5 agility.

Strength gives you access to Iron Flesh and Power strike.

Iron Flesh gives you 2 hit points per point spent, does not sound like much but the higher the armour the longer these extra points will last you.  My thoughts are go all the way with Iron Flesh or not at all, a couple of points are not going to help you out that much so spend them elsewhere.  But if you are looking to spend 6 points and up IF is a good bet.

Power Strike lets you hit harder.  This is a must otherwise might as well roll up a towel and flick it at people.  Most people swear by at least 4. 

So in summary strength does not suffer from diminishing returns hence the argument that str is better.

Overall

You need both agil and str.  You need agility for weapon master and to move in and out of danger and you need Str for at least Power strike.   I would suggest a minimum of 12 strength for any build, but that is the bare bones minimum and you will glance off peoples armour with that. 

What's the minimum for agility?   Well you could go with 3 but in tin can armour you will be slow real slow.  Myself I prefer a minimum of 9, but that is me.

What are some common builds for agil and str (Converted over 2 points)?

Strength/Agility

9/27  --->Ninja High Agility type build --> Very fast paper tiger, a stiff breez could kill you. 
15/21 -->Fast Build --> I like this build so so hiting power but the extra agility moves you in and out of danger real nice.
18/18 -->Balance Build   --> Its a good standard build.
21/15 -->Strength Build --> Nice build, but your timing has to be a bit better since you are slower, fighting good high agility people with this build is a pain.
24/12 -->Heavy Str Build
27/9 --> Very Heavy Str Build goes great with high quality armour, the IF are magnified by the armour.  But you are slow, damm so slow, my grandma could outrace you.

Conclusiong

Agility and strength are both good, you have to know your play style and what you prefer.  A quick guide:

If you are a very good blocker and have excellent timing, I would say pump agility as much as possible the extra speed will make you all the more deadlier.

If you have decent blocking and decent timing a fast build might work well for you.

If your blocking is so so, and your timing is not all that great go with the balance build the extra agility will help you move in and out of danger and compensate for average blocking skills and poor timing and you will still have decent killing power. 

If you have decent blocking skills and you have decent timing an Str build would work well.  A bit slower so your timing has to be a bit better.

If you have very good blocking skills and good timing a high str build will work well for you.  BUT if you have really bad at blocking and have really bad timing a high str build will also work for you PROVIDED you throw a crap load of armour on and get a long spamming weapon like a Poleaxe or Great Long axe. 

Cheers,

Formless

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:59:48 am »
I would not classify 24 strength as a 'heavy' strength build, rather just a regular strength build.
You should add "tank" which is 30+ Strength; 30/9, 33/6, or 36/3.

Oh, and I disagree with formless on blocking skill being better for agility build compared to a strength build. With agility builds being faster & having athletics that are higher, you can use footwork to compensate for blocking skill. If you are a strength heavy build you have to rely on blocking as your only way to defend yourself apart from heavy armor, which just slows you further (and is expensive to upkeep).

And to answer the question: Agility does not increase anything even though it (apparently) falsely claims to increase attack speed, all it does is give you access to agility related skills such as WM/Ath/Shield/etc. Balance builds are the most player friendly until you find how you prefer to play and your strengths/weaknesses.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Gafferjack

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 12:24:10 pm »
Agility does not increase anything even though it (apparently) falsely claims to increase attack speed...

Agility increases movespeed by a small amount. The Warband tooltip was fixed (although I don't know from what version), so you'll see in single player that it says that one point of Agility gives 5 weapon points and increases movespeed slightly. I believe the "1 AGI gives 0.5% increased attack speed" idea might have been a carry-over from the original game, which may also have had an incorrect tooltip.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 12:29:19 pm »
I do believe that agility DOES increase attack speed with all weapons by at least some amount. A high agi player can swing a weapon that he has no proficiency in quite a bit faster than a peasant. Or such is the impression anyway.

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: -
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 12:35:25 pm »
AGILITY needs massive buff. I used to slice up tincans, in about 12 slices, sometimes 20, but they could never get near me. Now we see STR builds, always spamming long axes and swords. Now, they still very easy to fight AGAINST, but as teammates they are the devil's own agents, and do more team damage per round than they have done to enemies EVER.  I used to be able to dodge these guys but now it seems athletics has taken a hit too, we all walk through syrup and it sux massive dogpeen, just MO tho....
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline Murrogh

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 10:18:09 pm »
I do believe that agility DOES increase attack speed with all weapons by at least some amount. A high agi player can swing a weapon that he has no proficiency in quite a bit faster than a peasant. Or such is the impression anyway.

I think that Walt showed that it doesn't in the WPF speed thread

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,2531.0.html