Author Topic: Is it possible to run out of gold because of armor/weapon repairs?  (Read 737 times)

Offline JekkJekk27

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
i feel like its impossible to make any money while wearing normal armor and using normal weapons. because I'm spending like 1000 gold per round on armor upkeep. i feel like its impossible to make any money unless im either naked or dressed like a farmer.

is it possible to run out of gold like this?

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
Re: Is it possible to run out of gold because of armor/weapon repairs?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 06:01:59 am »
True story, I bought a cataphract as soon as I had the money, and in my foolish pride-of-new-ownership, paraded it around for a map or 2. Went flat broke, didn't even have enough to repair a battle fork or cavalry shield. Yeah, it's possible. You make it back fast though.

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:30:16 am »
Every time an item breaks and you don't repair it it takes damage. If it happens three times then I believe you cannot wear it until you repair it or it disappears.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 01:45:40 pm »
i feel like its impossible to make any money while wearing normal armor and using normal weapons. because I'm spending like 1000 gold per round on armor upkeep. i feel like its impossible to make any money unless im either naked or dressed like a farmer.

The secret to making money is having a buffer of at least 30k and using 25k - 35k of gear. With that much money you can ride out your losing streaks and make it all back and more on your winning streaks.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 07:31:19 pm »
Like rustyspoon said, you definitely need a little nest egg built up or you will go broke. I've gone back and forth on how to play the repair game. Right now, I get to 50k. When I have 50k, I wear my best stuff if I have any sort of multiplier. I do that til I am down to 40k, then I wear my low end stuff and use only 1-2 weapon slots til I am back to 50k. I tried this with 100k down to 50k and 50k down to 20k but it takes longer build up the cash than to lose it. So that 10k difference lets me switch back and forth enough that I don't feel stuck in peasant mode for too long.

It's basically impossible to make money with no multiplier. Best you can hope for is to break even. But once you get a multiplier going for a few rounds, the money rolls in.
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuckĀ’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch