Author Topic: Siege Map Suggestions  (Read 429 times)

Offline Wallace

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WallaceBRD
Siege Map Suggestions
« on: March 15, 2011, 06:26:04 pm »
Seems like a lot of people complain about new maps getting put in the list and the old maps that are already there

So here's what I'm thinking... Post general ideas of what you want and maybe even a cool MSPaint finger painting of what it would look like

I'll see if I can make some of them happen and submit them to possibly get put in map rotation

Mind you I have no control over map rotation so it would be entirely up to admins whether or not it makes the cut
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Siege Map Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:21:05 pm »
Hey Wallace

I was wondering about how maps are created.  Is it a paint by numbers sort of thing where you just drop down pre-made buildings and trees on the ground, or do you have to create these things on your own?  Does it require programing knowledge?  Could you point me to a tutorial that a total newb could use and come out with a decent map at the end?

P.S  I think the biggest problem with siege maps is tricky balancing.  You want the map to neither favor the attacker or the defender.  I think the trick is to time how long it takes the attacker to walk from their spawn to the flag once the gates are down or ladders are up against the wall.  Then that timing should be compared with how long it takes the defender to spawn and walk over to the flag.  The timing should be that both the attacker and the defender get there in the same amount of time once the attacker smashed the gates open or put the ramps to the wall.  You also want to make sure that putting ramps up and smashing gates does not take too much of the map time, maybe about 2 minutes or so.     
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline OoberNoob

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lost Legion
  • Game nicks: LL_OoberNoob
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 11:34:35 pm »
Here is a thread that I found pretty helpful.

It has the basics that you will need to get started. I started to make maps but my short attention span never let me finish one  :(

Offline Wallace

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WallaceBRD
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 01:26:26 am »
I'm currently editing my map with the server on the list as something like Server####... feel free to stop in and toss suggestions
visitors can't see pics , please register or login