Author Topic: Archer Build Questions  (Read 592 times)

Offline KimJongVader

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Archer Build Questions
« on: March 31, 2012, 06:39:20 pm »
Thanks for reading!

So im very new and still trying to learn the character build mechanics of the game from reading online.  My main question is as follows...

When making an archer character is it best to just max out archery and take no melee or is it a waste to use points at a high level with such low return? Basically ive used the character builder to make my guy to level 31 and this is what I came up with.  Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

21str
21agi

7ath
7pd
6wp

158 archery

I was thinking of droping the archery down to 128 and taking 106 in a melee weapon but i dont want to gimp my range attack significantly if i do so.  I already have a dedicated 2h melee char so I want this guy to be as pure an archer as possible but it would be nice to have a little melee for versatility.  Also, does taking 106 in melee without power strike a waste? 

Thanks in advance!

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Archer Build Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 06:47:11 pm »
Also, does taking 106 in melee without power strike a waste? 
yes

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 15
    Agility: 24
    Hit points: 60

Skills to attributes: 8

Ironflesh: 5
    Power Strike: 5
    Shield: 0
    Athletics: 0
    Riding: 0
    Horse Archery: 0
    Power Draw: 5
    Power Throw: 0
    Weapon Master: 8

One Handed: 91
    Two Handed: 1
    Polearm: 1
    Archery: 160
    Crossbow: 1
    Throwing: 1
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:50:15 pm by Lichen »

Offline KimJongVader

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 07:39:48 pm »
Thanks for the info and build suggestion.  I never thought to take 0 athletics and so much weapon master.  Interesting build but I already took 3 athletics and hate to restart.  I might do it though.  I kinda like the idea of being highly mobile.  Any high athletics archers have an opinion on this?  Does athletics help you survive/is it worth it? 

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 09:35:35 pm »
Does athletics help you survive/is it worth it?

Yes it does!  Now you'll have guys tell you it doesn't matter.  That if you play a 0 Athletics build right, you won't die.  And that maybe the case for those guys.  But the bottom line is that being able to run, move, dodge faster will help you stay alive.  Period.

Now the real question is... will taking points from Athletics and putting them somewhere else, be more beneficial (than running fast).  That just may be the case with your build.  But nonetheless, high Athletics can certainly help keep you alive.  But at the cost of lower PD and WPF, well maybe it's not worth it.

Now I'm pretty new to an Archery Build as well.  But from what I've been told, take at least 150 WPF Archery.

Actually, check out my post at the link below.  You may have already read it (cause it was only a few post below yours)  But if not, it could prove helpful.  Read my original post, then read Rumblood's response.  Good info there.  Helpful info on WPF & PD options.  As well as info on which bow you may want to use (Rus, Horn, Tartar), and the different options to go along with which bow you choose (cause the Rus Bow takes 2 slots).

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,28996.0.html

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 03:49:55 pm »
Also see this topic for input from other archers and the friendly debate on both 0 athletics and 6 or 7 athletics builds.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,28764.0.html
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login