Author Topic: Is pure Str Archer useful?  (Read 795 times)

Offline Nurax

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Blah...
  • Game nicks: Hiragano
Is pure Str Archer useful?
« on: March 11, 2011, 03:12:50 pm »
+1
I thought about an archer who is pure str that means: high PD and i would use bar mace for melee BUT: is that useful? what are the disadvantages?

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
Re: Is pure Str Archer useful?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 04:49:29 pm »
Yeah, but forget about using Strong Bow and higher.

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 30
Agility: 12
Hit points: 65
Converted: 14
Ironflesh: 0
Power Strike: 0
Shield: 0
Athletics: 3
Riding: 0
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 10
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 4
One Handed: 1
Two Handed: 1
Polearm: 1
Archery: 139
Crossbow: 1
Throwing: 1

This build, + Khergit bow = awesome shooting. You WILL be accurate enough, also you will receive nice bonus - you will be able to keep aiming longer due to high PD. Your dmg will be very good, the only thing is shot speed (arrow flight speed) but with higher tier bows you will lose accuracy ;/

You will be very good at shooting horses and generally anything else closer than 25 meters. But it depends, how good you are actually in archering.

Offline Murchad

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 05:10:22 pm »
Well dravec, im going to give it a shot.
I was thinking of 27/15 but i might as well go for the 10pd for style
I'll use a bec for defense i think

On a side note was your bow and arrows heirloomed?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 05:28:08 pm »
It is useful, just be aware you are a completely different type of archer.

Long range shots are best at groups of enemies (though if you do hit they fell it a lot harder then the dedicated snipers). Tin-Can hunting is very possible with a warbow and bodkin and 10PD.

Cav hunting is a breeze. Unlike being a thrower in which they will veer off, cav will always try and run you down, so time it where you send a nice shot into the horse head and watch that rider slide off into your next shot at your feet (Or if it is a ninja cav wearing little or no armor, just blwo the rider's torso in two).

In battles you must be extremely aware of your team, this will allow you to survive if an enemy archer at long range decides to take notice of you. Keep in mind that since you have so much STR you can take a melee weapon and hit rather hard with it. In strategus though I reccomend ditching melee (and thus all PS) and go pure archer and take three quivers (you will be much more useful to your clan, a melee weapon for an archer is mostly pointless in strategus as you have dedicated melee allies for a reason, so use them.).

Mainly in sieges you will shine, as the enemy comes to you and is always in short range. At 130 wpf I have murderous accuracy when defending seiges as destroying shields, sticking feet and blowing off heads when they walk so slow and nice up ladders/towers is a breeze.

It depends on what role you want.

High wpf builds you can snipe and headshot, high str builds you fear no cav, even elephants (Plated Chargers) can go down with minimal effort if you now what you are doing.

I reccomend though not going above 24, as that allows you to kill most enemies with one shot to the head or two shots to the chest and still retain a respectable wpf and athletics. If you really go for a 30, you best quickly stop following the advice of the majority of "snipers" and re-invent your own tactics.

A 30 str archer is useful, but it is not by any stretch of the imagination a "traditional" archer and thus requires different tactics and completely different target priorities.

Oh, and for the record, I have 10PD so this is personal experience.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 05:56:22 pm »

Strength 18 
Agility 24 

One Handed 1 [1 WPF cost]
Two Handed 1 [1 WPF cost]
Polearm 1 [1 WPF cost]
Archery 172 [12 WPF cost]
Crossbow 1 [1 WPF cost]
Throwing 1 [1 WPF cost]

Level 30
Ironflesh 2 
Power Strike 1 
Shield 0 
Athletics 0 
Riding 0 
Horse Archery 0 
Power Draw 6 
Power Throw 0 
Weapon master * 8 
One Handed   1   
Two Handed   1   
Polearm   1
Archery   172   
Crossbow   1   
Throwing   1   
This  is  the fastest and most accurate build you can do,if you use an warbow or lonbow