Author Topic: Best Armor and Shield for 1h/Shield Users  (Read 1127 times)

Offline kai8088

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Best Armor and Shield for 1h/Shield Users
« on: April 21, 2012, 11:13:14 pm »
Im looking for the best armor/shield used by 1h/shield users.
Im looking for gear thats durable enough so I can feel like a tank, but also light enough so I can swing my sword fast.

This is my build.

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 21
    Agility: 15
    Hit points: 70

Skills to attributes: 2

Ironflesh: 7
    Power Strike: 7
    Shield: 5
    Athletics: 5
    Riding: 0
    Horse Archery: 0
    Power Draw: 0
    Power Throw: 0
    Weapon Master: 5

One Handed: 148
    Two Handed: 1
    Polearm: 1
    Archery: 1
    Crossbow: 1
    Throwing: 1
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:18:40 pm by kai8088 »

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: Best Armor and Shield for 1h/Shield Users
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 11:51:29 pm »
+1
Im looking for the best armor/shield used by 1h/shield users.
Im looking for gear thats durable enough so I can feel like a tank, but also light enough so I can swing my sword fast.

Just so you know, shield weight has nothing to do with how fast you'll swing your sword. Shield speed on the other hand affects how fast you can block.

I'm guessing you're pretty new, (or you probably wouldn't be asking this) so if you're going to be on foot I would recommend one of the round shields. They have the best overall coverage. Assuming that, you have a few choices:

Elite Cavalry Shield - relatively durable, fast, 1 slot
Heavy Round Shield - pretty durable, moderate speed, 1 slot
Huscarl's Round Shield - really durable, moderately slow, 2 slots, great coverage
Steel shield - Super durable as long as you're not fighting an axe, super slow, 2 slots

A lot of the heaters and kites are good shields, but I didn't put them here because of their poor side coverage. Unless you know what you're doing, you'll find yourself getting hit around the sides a lot.

The weight of your armor does reduce your WPF, but the amount will barely be noticeable with a 1-hander. WPF affects swing speed less with faster weapons. With heavier armor though you will take a hit on your movement speed, especially since you're already slow as hell because you have 5 athletics AND you're carrying a shield. So I'd wear armor that you think looks good and is around 11-15 in weight.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kai8088

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 12:19:22 am »
Just so you know, shield weight has nothing to do with how fast you'll swing your sword. Shield speed on the other hand affects how fast you can block.

I'm guessing you're pretty new, (or you probably wouldn't be asking this) so if you're going to be on foot I would recommend one of the round shields. They have the best overall coverage. Assuming that, you have a few choices:

Huscarl's Round Shield - really durable, moderately slow, 2 slots, great coverage
Steel shield - Super durable as long as you're not fighting an axe, super slow, 2 slots

A lot of the heaters and kites are good shields, but I didn't put them here because of their poor side coverage. Unless you know what you're doing, you'll find yourself getting hit around the sides a lot.

The weight of your armor does reduce your WPF, but the amount will barely be noticeable with a 1-hander. WPF affects swing speed less with faster weapons. With heavier armor though you will take a hit on your movement speed, especially since you're already slow as hell because you have 5 athletics AND you're carrying a shield. So I'd wear armor that you think looks good and is around 11-15 in weight.

Do you mean 11-15 in general weight including all armor plus weps/acessories?

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 12:20:11 am »

If he's using the 21/15 build he doesn't have the 6 Shield skill for the Steel Shield. While I would prefer the Knightly Heater, rusty here is probably giving good advice on the Huscarl's and the Heavy Round.