Author Topic: X-bow or Thrower  (Read 918 times)

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
X-bow or Thrower
« on: March 15, 2012, 10:58:56 pm »
I'm making a 1-Hand/Shield (Heavy Bastard) that carries either a X-bow or Throwing Weapons.  But I can't decide which to go with.

I like the idea of throwing weapons.  Throwing Axes seem awesome.  And the Throwing Lance seems amazing.

But I'd think the X-bow would be easier to hit with.  However, I have a Hunting X-bow... and it's not very accurate (I have 70 wpf in X-bow).   And the Arbalest seems like it could just dominate.  Is it really that more accuarate than a Hunting X-bow.? Hunting X-bow has an Accuracy 82, the Arbalest has 89.  Does 7 points of Accuracy make that big a difference?

Any suggestions or helpful info would be much appreciated.

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
Re: X-bow or Thrower
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 11:06:25 pm »
Throwing is expensive and underpowered so choose xbow.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 11:13:07 pm »
1 Heavy bastard have big penalty with shields
2 Heavy bastard take two slots, so you cant have hbs+good shield+xbow+bolts

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 11:36:22 pm »
Xbow doesn't require any skill such as power draw or power throw, only wpf. Xbow also has more range and more ammo. With an xbow you can go for an AGI build. Throwing has more damage in one shot. I guess throwing only excel at being able to deal high damage in a very short time. I guess it depends on if you want to be a ranged class or a half-ranged class. In my opinion, calling throwing as "ranged" is %50 inaccurate; while it's %50 accurate.

And don't use a heavy bastard sword as a one hander. There are plenty of good one handed swords. Why you choose a slow and low damaged weapon which will have no use as 2handed if you won't have 2hand wpf either?
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 12:05:21 am »
Well, I see that the HBS has a speed 98, length 105, dmg 36.  The Nordic Champion Sword only has speed 97, length 102, dmg 32.

I guess I'm missing something?  There's penalties for using a HBS 1-handed?  If so, how much is it scaled down?

I was liking the extra length.  And I thought that maybe I'd be able to use the HBS 2-handed for when folk are coming over the walls (on ladders).  Thought maybe the extra reach might help, especially stabbing (as I've observed that most seem to be looking to block an overhead swing when they reach the top of the ladder).

But I'm 100% a noob (just started playing 2 nights ago), so more any will be much appreciated!  And thanks for the info already given!

Offline Farrok

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Farrok
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 12:40:02 am »
Twohanded Weapons in use with shields gets a speed and damage malus of 30%

so choose better a onehanded weapon with shield. only viable use of the bastard swords are when you are a twohander and want a shield to approach range classes and still attacking when there isnt time to put shield back.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 12:41:10 am »
Yes 7 points of accuracy makes a huge difference, not to mention the actual speed of the bolt. With a hunting/light xbow you'll have quite an arc to deal with, some players like that. Also, Throwing shielder or xbow shielders typically do pretty bad, but if you want the most effective, you would go with 2 slots of war darts or axes.
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 05:19:55 am »
Since the Arbalest take essentially 3 slots (2 for Arbalest, 1 for bolts), I think I may skip out on the Crossbow.  May just go strictly melee and forget both X-bow & Throwing.

Thanks for the info guys!  Much appreciated!

Got what I need, locking topic.