Poll

What do you think ?

YES, I like the concept and I know fine tuning can be done later on
NO, I dont like this gamemode although I know its just a rough concept

Author Topic: About gamemodes  (Read 1064 times)

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
About gamemodes
« on: March 27, 2012, 03:41:59 am »
+4
Ive seen a few suggestions regarding new gamemodes lately. This is what comes to my mind.

This game has some pretty awesome features. We can have more than 200 people on one server. Many different classes and playstayles. We even can build stuff like catapults, forward outposts and so on. Still every gamemode we have is more or less skirmish-like with relatively short and fast action, rush in and kill/die (apart from strat).

I like to play games that provide long matches, giving you the opportunity and time to achieve something big.

I could imagine a gamemode called "2 forts" or similar. Two castles far from each other on a big map. Important strategic points spread around the map at which placing constructions and fortification is necessary. Attacking hostile outposts would require mobilising heavy war machinery i.e. catapults with the main goal to destroy the enemy castle/ kill their king / capture their flag/ whatever. A gamemode that needs organisation and foresight, teamwork and strategy. A single match might last for 30-60 minutes. I think you get the deal.

Building system, big maps, many players, castles, everything needed for such a gamemode is already in the game.ยด

Is this something you would like to see in the future ?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Anuran

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
Re: About gamemodes
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:45:36 am »
Well, i like your idea. I remembers me a bit on Strategus but this seems to be different. But I would play it. :)

+1

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 07:54:03 am »
game mode already exists, its called stronghold...its been on neonatal life support for months. might as well flush it down the tiolet

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 03:42:46 pm »
game mode already exists, its called stronghold...its been on neonatal life support for months. might as well flush it down the tiolet

Ive seen no such gamemode in cRPG lately.

Offline Arn De Gothia

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: D'Haran Legion
  • Game nicks: Arn_De_Gothia, That guy, Why did you stab me?, and ********
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 12:48:56 am »
I agree, I hear people talking about siege equipment all the time, yet I haven't had the pleasure of seeing any utilized in a strat battle. The utilization of cannons in mm mod was really cool, perhaps the same can be applied to C-RPG. Furthermore, how hard would it be to make destructible walls, or just keep the destructible gates and use siege equipment? I, for one, would love to see a ram in this game. Same mechanics as pushing a siege tower, but destructible (so defenders can try to sally forth). What you are suggesting would require a great deal more teamwork than is currently implemented. If people get touchy about deployable ladders, then keep placed ladders. Finally, some defensive/offensive siege equipment against men would be great. For example, hot oil, catapults, ballistas, caltrops, ect.

Thanks for the great suggestion!

Offline Rusty_Shacklefjord

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro-pain
    • View Profile
  • Faction: One Man Army
  • Game nicks: Erik_Magnusson
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 01:32:25 am »
I like the idea of "more game modes," but I'm not sure that your idea specifically would work.

For one thing, large maps require a lot of processing power, tracking many people that are very spread out. There's also the fact that you would NEED many players for it to be fun - with cRPG's small community we probably wouldn't be able to get enough support for it to really work. Maybe as a weekly event or something would be better - like the line battles in mount and musket.

P.S. rageball is great, thanks devs!
I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 01:53:57 am »
I like the idea of "more game modes," but I'm not sure that your idea specifically would work.

For one thing, large maps require a lot of processing power, tracking many people that are very spread out. There's also the fact that you would NEED many players for it to be fun - with cRPG's small community we probably wouldn't be able to get enough support for it to really work. Maybe as a weekly event or something would be better - like the line battles in mount and musket.

P.S. rageball is great, thanks devs!

its already been done by several other mods for other games.  its possible, but it requires ambition & work, which is in short supply

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 02:02:15 am »
Imo maps sizes we have right now are fully sufficient in order to work well with such a gamemode. If it proves not to be big enough just narrow maps down but in exchange increase the lenght, add rivers and canyons that can only be crossed via bridges to give the maps more depth. 120 slots are suitable as well I think so dont expect processing power to be an obstacle. Basicly appart from new maps not much has to be done, its already there.

A lot more important right now is how people would like it and whether devs would care about implementing it. Balance can be done later. I just think with all the nice features of the game its a pity we just have skirmish-like gamemodes. I have nerver seen a catapult in action so far on a battle or a siege server. I want something intense.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 02:25:39 am »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 05:33:47 pm by XyNox »