Author Topic: Economic blockade  (Read 926 times)

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
Economic blockade
« on: February 07, 2012, 10:22:59 am »
Simple idea:
If you wanna weaken your opponent - restrict his goods in your fiefs. (or system of different taxes for different goods)

Yes , your opponent can exchange this goods for other - but this will increase role of neutral trading companies\caravans in game.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Economic blockade
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 10:38:19 am »
+1
But you can already blockade your enemies. Just attack their caravans if they come close to your lands, or better yet, as they're leaving theirs.
Don't.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 08:42:01 pm »
But you can already blockade your enemies. Just attack their caravans if they come close to your lands, or better yet, as they're leaving theirs.

Although I would rate this as "surprisingly difficult".

A caravan that uses horses and doesn't exceed its cargo capacity can move VERY fast across the map.  I think if you don't log in once an hour and additionally have your own super-fast attack force, it can be really easy to miss caravans.

Of course, slowing them down might make it all too easy to raid them and trade might grind to a halt just because of bandits...  but anyway, point being I think it would be impractical to try and run a functional blockade with the present rules.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 11:01:07 pm »
I wouldn't say you need a super-fast attack force. Even with enough troops per crate an unburdened foot army is much, much faster than a foot caravan, and a cavalry army is much, much faster than a mounted caravan. If you really want an edge you can use a mounted army to chase down a foot caravan, then it's just laughably easy. The biggest problem is to be in the right place at the right time.
Don't.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 11:27:03 pm »
+2
I wouldn't say you need a super-fast attack force. Even with enough troops per crate an unburdened foot army is much, much faster than a foot caravan, and a cavalry army is much, much faster than a mounted caravan. If you really want an edge you can use a mounted army to chase down a foot caravan, then it's just laughably easy. The biggest problem is to be in the right place at the right time.
Still. What I would like is for individuals to be able to put up "barriers" or "toll line" or any kind of "area of control". If someone enters that they have to pay X gold/%gold/goods/%goods or whatever. Ofc, they can ignore it, but that would create an auto attack (or automove to attack) by the guy holding the barrier. This would work as a taxation of roads, raiding (but merchants can still pay to pass safely) or just a blockade of enemy caravans (setting the pay really high). I'm thinking something like a small line X kilometers long that you can place anywhere. Your character still have to STAY there, so unless you are 49 troops or someone is feeding you gold, or you're gonna loose troops to upkeep. Or if the toll is reasonable and you hold a good position, then people will pay instead of having to waste time fighting you.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 11:28:11 pm by Zapper »
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Lepintoi

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shu Han
  • Game nicks: Lepintoi
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 01:37:58 am »
I really like this idea, now to be an effective blockade you have to either be hilariously active for a browser game or be a multiaccounter.
Only issue is that a 10 man clan can blockade key choke points and bridges with +200 army.
But it would be fun to 'siege' a region in this way.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 02:41:03 am »
*couch, cough*

Hire rogues to raid their caravans inside their own territory...

When I say rogues I mean,  HIRE ME.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 01:41:06 pm »
+1
I really like this idea, now to be an effective blockade you have to either be hilariously active for a browser game or be a multiaccounter.
Only issue is that a 10 man clan can blockade key choke points and bridges with +200 army.
But it would be fun to 'siege' a region in this way.
That's the cool part. How could someone "siege" a region without being 24/7 on? The devs have said they want strat to be more about doing good strategic choices then grinding/no-lifing, and these things would have to be strategically placed and would take away the need of no-lifing. And yeah, a 10-man clan (bandits/deserters) could blockade choke points and bridges with a 200+ army. Something they couldn't realisticly be able to do now. And this would mean the big Factions (land owners) would actually go out and hunt them down. Or hire people (manhunters/mercenaries) to kill them for them. Or rewarding someone (freelancers) who did it without being asked to do it. See how this opens up new roles for smaller clans/individuals?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia