Author Topic: Gold Sink  (Read 3242 times)

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
Re: Gold Sink
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2011, 07:19:32 am »
+1
I am gen 7, I have 150k at the moment and cant buy shit with this money. I have been making almost no money for quite a long time. All I was able to buy at the market after 4 or 5 gens was a light lance + 1. I am not willing to run around almost naked just to make some bucks. So go to hell with your fucking idea  :evil:
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Inkompetent

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Inkompetent, Ildov_Morekov, Fairhair_Sigurdr, MySushi_Inkomoto
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 10:00:44 am »
I am gen 7, I have 150k at the moment and cant buy shit with this money. I have been making almost no money for quite a long time. All I was able to buy at the market after 4 or 5 gens was a light lance + 1. I am not willing to run around almost naked just to make some bucks. So go to hell with your fucking idea  :evil:

This. Not everyone wants to play five generations in rags just to afford actually enjoying the game *after* that. Super-expensive deluxe-items is one thing, but to hell with higher repairs.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2011, 10:40:27 am »
+1
-Add new 'squire' feature where you hire a squire for a initial fee and also an ongoing fee which is subtracted from your in game gold every tick. [snip]

I just read that and thought: cool, why not! In my mind, it would work like this:

Player A), who is rich and got some money to burn, hires player B) to be his personal body guard on the battle and siege mode. How it would work like is this:
For every tick that player B) is near player A), a sum of gold is automatically transferred from player A) to player B). Let's say they set it to 100 gold. That way, for every minute that player B) is guarding player A) and sticking with him on battle mode, he'll get a nice extra paid for by player A).

Just a random thought, but had to share it. I know it's a weird idea, but it might actually work. I'd rather spend my money on other players to stimulate a bit of teamplay than 'waste' it on more gear i don't need. :)

Offline Stabby_Dave

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 34
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stabby_Dave, Squelch, Dave_The_Longbowman, Faggy_Dave
  • IRC nick: Stabby
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2011, 12:47:35 pm »

If prices on the market werent so high maybe you would have been able to afford a masterwork item by now instead of just a +1. I bought a MW item for 600k when the market first came out.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2011, 12:58:44 pm »
1)lower upkeep, people have more money -> higher prices of looms
2)higher upkeep, people have less money -> lower price of looms

1)play for x hours, get y gold, loom costs y gold
2) play for x hours, get y gold, loom costs y gold

both yield the same for x and y, thus not changing anything except the gold amount. It doesn't make looms easier to obtain.

IMO, the best way to lower the price of items on the marketplace is raising the xp cap. More experience means more players retiring, more looms, therefore less demand for looms, and less cost of looms on the marketplace.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2011, 07:48:19 pm »
Actually increasing upkeep is a buff to the old players since all the new ones will run around in rags all the time while we have a 2043o1204i3245324 billion $$$$ savings account from the market place an loom selling...

Hence why its allways some market rich gen 324235432 who wants to increase upkeep..  :wink:

Ahahaha, whelp that's why landed wealth supports tax increases.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 07:50:38 pm by ArchonAlarion »

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 01:08:20 am »
Upkeep increase on just looms (and then decrease upkeep on non-loomed items) make sense but that will be so unpopular it will never get implemented.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 01:57:26 am »
1) Increase Upkeep

In the current state of things, increasing upkeep will only make the "inflation problem" worse. We have reached the point where people are fed up with high upkeep and will start wearing cheap equipment in case it goes any higher (for the economics-trained reader, equipment cost has a high elasticity towards upkeep), or simply quit the game since in a proper RPG they wouldn't be forced to play as a peasant in rags. Increasing upkeep will actually reduce the sum of everybody's upkeep because people will wear a lot less equipment (proportion of equipment value lost > proportion of upkeep increased).

I'm happy with the current state of the market. Having very high prices for heirloomed stuff is actually balanced because heirlooming is very bad from an ingame perspective. Even without heirloomed equipment, a level 33 is much better on the battlefield than a level 30 with 4 heirlooms. People are not willing to retire, and that increases heirloom prices, for the joy of those that still retire. Tradeoffs. The market balances itself. Slowly, but it does.

The fact that gold inflates is itself a good thing at the current level of inflation. It is not extremely fast, but enough to encourage people to do something with their gold and not letting it rot in a corner.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2011, 04:34:00 am »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Not everyone borthers to retire an sell loom point you know  :?:

Some people just play casual increasing upkeep would hurt em alot

How? Because casual players should be able to wear heavier armour than noncasual players?? I dont get it: They arent gonna be charged MORE, and upkeep is not like a subscription fee, you dont have to pay X each month reguardless of how many hours you play, you Pay as you Play.

as to this:

You can play in 20k of gear and make money hand over foot. You can play in 30k worth of gear and make money. You can play WELL in 50k of gear and still make money: Upkeep was thought up to STOP players like you, who want to ride an armoured bear while firing lazer beams from behind their adamantium armour.

I personally would like to see Upkeep rate DOUBLED or TREBLED: I dont have a dragons goldhorde, but as it is its too easy to for me to run around with a greatsword and medium/heavy armour. So it is for everyone else also. All the armour means is that we all use more massive weapons so we can still onehit and feel like bosses. Increasing upkeep would IMPROVE THE GAME, it just might not still be the game that some ppl want, since it seems currently the aim is to buy the heaviest armour your build can wear, strap a mace and a arbalest to your back or grab your greatsword/poleaxe, and spam down the 10 guys plate'n'mail on enemy team, scything thru your teammates with abandon, cause tbh, you dont loose anything for hitting them, so who cares really.

Increase upkeep so it IS effective at stopping the masses of heavy/med armour with huge weapons on horseback, because despite chadz's best efforts the game is veering more and more back to where it was preupkeep: just buy the best you can and wield it all the time.

EDIT: Problem is cavalry, ideally there needs to be 2 upkeep systems, since cavalry are so expensive they need a different equation for horses, because an IDEAL cutoff would be 10K: Over this and your loosing money. Really if you just wanna tank up and be such an epic hero that you cannot make money stupidly fast on current system, I suggest you try singleplayer. Its good.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 04:40:39 am by BlindGuy »
I don't know enough

Offline Kingtrisp

• Baron
  • Renown: 89
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player
  • Conan What is best in life?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Waylander
  • Game nicks: Waylander_KingConan
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2011, 11:22:01 pm »
So op wants even more people running round in cloth.... this story is one of coolness

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2011, 11:45:22 pm »
You can play in 20k of gear and make money hand over foot. You can play in 30k worth of gear and make money. You can play WELL in 50k of gear and still make money: Upkeep was thought up to STOP players like you, who want to ride an armoured bear while firing lazer beams from behind their adamantium armour.

Here's the equipment I usually use:
Light Kuyak: well mostly for the looks and cuz its loomed already
Sarranid Veiled Helmet: mostly for the looks - I like full facecovered helmets and cuz I dont wont to get oneshotted off my horse by some roofmonkey through half of the map.
Splinted Leather Greaves over Mail: necessary as cav
Scale Gauntlets: well, that one is loomed too and it was really crippled during last patch like all gauntlets  :( and I have the feeling its the gear that gets damaged most
Knightly Heater Shield

Now tell me: Does that already count as heavy armor or is it still medium?

And the weapons I use are far away from high tier weapons:
Light Lance and Short Sword

With that gear I dont make much money... below 2x or 3x I constantly loose money.

EDIT: Problem is cavalry

I am cav! And I only ride a rouncey because of the heavy repairs of all other horses.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:47:10 pm by dodnet »
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 12:25:40 pm »
How? Because casual players should be able to wear heavier armour than noncasual players?? I dont get it: They arent gonna be charged MORE, and upkeep is not like a subscription fee, you dont have to pay X each month reguardless of how many hours you play, you Pay as you Play.

as to this:

I personally would like to see Upkeep rate DOUBLED or TREBLED: I dont have a dragons goldhorde, but as it is its too easy to for me to run around with a greatsword and medium/heavy armour. So it is for everyone else also. All the armour means is that we all use more massive weapons so we can still onehit and feel like bosses. Increasing upkeep would IMPROVE THE GAME, it just might not still be the game that some ppl want, since it seems currently the aim is to buy the heaviest armour your build can wear, strap a mace and a arbalest to your back or grab your greatsword/poleaxe, and spam down the 10 guys plate'n'mail on enemy team, scything thru your teammates with abandon, cause tbh, you dont loose anything for hitting them, so who cares really.

Increase upkeep so it IS effective at stopping the masses of heavy/med armour with huge weapons on horseback, because despite chadz's best efforts the game is veering more and more back to where it was preupkeep: just buy the best you can and wield it all the time.

EDIT: Problem is cavalry, ideally there needs to be 2 upkeep systems, since cavalry are so expensive they need a different equation for horses, because an IDEAL cutoff would be 10K: Over this and your loosing money. Really if you just wanna tank up and be such an epic hero that you cannot make money stupidly fast on current system, I suggest you try singleplayer. Its good.

Lol... so you want to FORCE everyone to play EXACTLY like YOU want them to play... How generous.

Try heavy armor. Try cavalry. It's not even half as good as you pretend it is "ride an armoured bear while firing lazer beams from behind their adamantium armour.". Heavy armor will save you from two or three more hits, while in the meantime slow you down to the point you will be three times as much more likely to be hit by anything. Cavalry is well and good if you know how to play it (that is, like a ninja), but as soon as the map isn't flat or that there are roofs, half the enemy team is immune to you. You can also note that attacking any ranged camping group is a suicide mission, even on perfectly flat ground. Look at how noob cav do. Compare with noob infantry or noob archers. Is the horse worth it ? No.

If anything, it's the light gear and agi that need to be looked at for nerfing. A human weight, no matter the armor, is at the very least in the 50kg range, and not 10g like high agi + light equipment allows. This would also go a long way towards fixing the retarded spam&footwork-centric melee metagame we have ended up with.

Increasing upkeep will unbalance the game towards light gear even more than now, and hurt the few poor souls that still want to roleplay a knight in armor, despite the whole mod being designed to repel them.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 05:02:49 pm »
I think all this needs to be balanced with a few things in mind. People say stuff like "mod is d.ead" or that the servers aren't as active as they used to be. Getting new players into the game and keeping them playing is kinda important atm. No one wants the game to die off. I'm not saying it will but every game has a life span..people who have played for years get bored and move on and unless you have new players to replace them then you get a shrinking population.

I'm a new player still really. All my M&B experience is from cRPG from mid October so I can say first hand what its like for a new player. The game is definitely not set up well for newbies. You start with a characters thats absolutely useless and gives you a false impression of how the game will be later on. The first 20 levels or so are painful and tbh every new account should start their first guy in the mid 20's just so you don't get that terrible first impression (this is after you got an account sorted..I didn't have a problem but the amount of people asking how to get their password suggests something could be improved). Then you got people running around with +10 (was +14) body armour just with the gloves and torso armour and have more damage and faster weapons. This isn't the main obstacle for players though, in addition to older players virtually being higher level like in an MMO with stronger gear, they also are experienced with the game. The learning curve is nearly vertical for M&B. Just learning how to attack properly and block takes a long time, putting it into practice against people who did it for years who also feint etc, who also can afford upkeep for better stuff, in addition to +10 body armour from looms and more damage on their weapons puts you at a big disadvantage. You don't have to play 1v1 though, and battle is pretty tactical like that. You need to learn how to block and attack quickly though and a whole bunch of other stuff. For me I enjoyed it from the start except for some things, but I dunno if I would want to start from scratch again. I liked the challenge and trying to get better, but there must be a lot of people who never get past the initial learning curve

Hurting newbies more by increasing upkeep isn't going to help the game but I realise it can't just be balance around new players. It should be kept in mind tho as its important for the long term life span of the game. I've been playing quite hardcore for a couple months now and recently got my first +3 item. I now only have half the deficit in body armour bonuses to other players, but still don't have a loomed weapon. So i'm still using weaker gear to save up. Got some money saved though from using ~10-20k gear and should have either a +2 item or +3 next time I retire. If I wasn't saving gold the last month or so I would just be getting a +1 now (after the +3). For a casual player they might not even have a +1 yet. As I said tho the main obstacle is the learning curve but the impression people get that you need looms doesn't help. People running around in rags to save up isn't going to do the game any good at all. People should be allowed to enjoy it short term rather than think about how they will be in next month or so. If upkeep was increased you would get even less variety in the gear people use and it would be harder for new players to get into the game. But if people don't have to save for gear, either by giving free looms to new players (and current players too so its not unfair) or by nerfing looms again then maybe upkeep could be increased. But part of the appeal of the game is long term progression. Some play just for the treadmill aspect, getting new gear or high levels etc. Giving new players a helping start wouldn't be bad for the game though imo, but making it harder for them won't do any good

Any other ideas for help new players would be worth implementing too, I think its one of the main things cRPG should look into now. Making the newbie experience better. Video tutorials for stuff, ingame tips, more XP/gold for first character, better GUI for the website, making it more organised whatever. Strat is a whole other beast with hardly any instruction when you access it. I believe there isn't even a link to it from the main website.

Long term players shouldn't be neglected either though. People like character progression and balance concerns shouldn't be ignored, stuff like 1 shot crossbows are pretty universally disliked for new or old players. Theres a lot of things cRPG devs could do to improve the game for new or old players
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:16:21 pm by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 11:41:45 pm »

Lol... so you want to FORCE everyone to play EXACTLY like YOU want them to play... How generous.

Try heavy armor. Try cavalry. It's not even half as good as you pretend it is "ride an armoured bear while firing lazer beams from behind their adamantium armour.". Heavy armor will save you from two or three more hits, while in the meantime slow you down to the point you will be three times as much more likely to be hit by anything. Cavalry is well and good if you know how to play it (that is, like a ninja), but as soon as the map isn't flat or that there are roofs, half the enemy team is immune to you. You can also note that attacking any ranged camping group is a suicide mission, even on perfectly flat ground. Look at how noob cav do. Compare with noob infantry or noob archers. Is the horse worth it ? No.

If anything, it's the light gear and agi that need to be looked at for nerfing. A human weight, no matter the armor, is at the very least in the 50kg range, and not 10g like high agi + light equipment allows. This would also go a long way towards fixing the retarded spam&footwork-centric melee metagame we have ended up with.

Increasing upkeep will unbalance the game towards light gear even more than now, and hurt the few poor souls that still want to roleplay a knight in armor, despite the whole mod being designed to repel them.

I dont want to force ANYONE to do ANYTHING, and as usual Kafein, you have made conclusions...I love cav, playing as cav and fighting against it. I dont want it nerfed, but it was NEVER meant to be a match for aware infantry, as you say: "like a ninja" YES, cav must ambush for its kills. You dont need:

Here's the equipment I usually use:
Light Kuyak: well mostly for the looks and cuz its loomed already
Sarranid Veiled Helmet: mostly for the looks - I like full facecovered helmets and cuz I dont wont to get oneshotted off my horse by some roofmonkey through half of the map.
Splinted Leather Greaves over Mail: necessary as cav
Scale Gauntlets: well, that one is loomed too and it was really crippled during last patch like all gauntlets  :( and I have the feeling its the gear that gets damaged most
Knightly Heater Shield

While you are ambushing unaware players. If you are trying to fight them headon as a cav...thats silly.

As to nerfing speeds because of footwork...no, that WOULD kill the mod, since as it is, ITS VERY hard to play as lightly armoured player, you get constantly owned: 1hit by anything when you make one mistake, and that I can live with, but also 1hit by every FRIEND who cannot be bothered NOT to hit you, since he suffers no penalty for killing his teammates. Friendly horses usually claim at least 50% of my HP's about 1 round in 3, if you take from lightly armoured playstyle the ONE thing that makes them, you are just gonna make a game where EVERYONE just strives to wear the heaviest thing they can, and while 90% of the pop DOES do that, there should be the choice not to. Im not forcing anyone to play as I want, like you claim, but you DO want to force everyone to walk around real slow and boring.

I like speed, Im addicted to it, when my agi bonus was removed and the game slowed down I was heartbroken, but I lived with it. Also when the cash income became so much more, so everyone can afford heavy armour, and then the upkeep was nerfed so you can currently afford to wear pretty much what u want whenever, I was heartbroken again: I saw the mod becoming what it IS mostly: All armour, all the time.

IMHO:

Kuyak, greaves, veiled helmet and scale gauntlets:

Now tell me: Does that already count as heavy armor or is it still medium?

Very mofo'ing heavy! But I dont want you not to be able to wear it: if it makes you happy, thats great.

I'm just of the oppinion: My sword is armour. And some gens my shield is too :D

BTW anyone want MW Short Sword or MP round shield, PM me! Very good price :D
I don't know enough