Author Topic: CRPG has lost that luvin' feelin'  (Read 19181 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: CRPG has lost that luvin' feelin'
« Reply #180 on: September 08, 2011, 03:24:17 am »
Seriously though, i keep cRPG fresh by playing other games from time to time.

Right now, i'm really enjoying Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It's like reading a good scifi pulp book... not high class literature, but very entertaining nonetheless.

The thing that keeps me coming back is the combat mechanics and the teamplay. And the clan i guess. It's like a good pub, always cozy and lots of friendly people.

That's exactly my view on things.

Dead Island is out tomorrow...and I know me and Lorenzo and a couple of our mates are planning on cooping that for a while. So expect to see my even less on pubby. I'll still go to battles and do clan stuff because honestly, that's the main thing that keeps me in crpg atm, but shifting to other games for a little while is no bad thing.

Pub analogy is perfect.

Offline Puppybull

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
  • Faction: The Free Companies of Calradia
  • Game nicks: Apsalar / o2O / Chaotic_Good / Xaeros_Unicorns / 2Laggy4U
« Reply #181 on: September 08, 2011, 08:45:15 am »
+1
We can all learn from the mantis and puppy.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Henry_Broodsonson

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfhny3oz3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 08, 2011, 12:55:36 pm »
cRPG may only move in one direction.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2011, 01:30:47 am »
+1
I preferred the xp radius thingy because it didn't emphasized on winning as much as the one we have now

It was even worse. You had to survive a long time to get the most of the round, as well as winning to get the amount shown in the box and not only a small part of it, AND you had to be close to the killing all the time.

But the money wasn't as important back then, because of no upkeep, so I can understand that part.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #184 on: December 29, 2011, 11:58:09 am »
hmm...cRPG has definetly lost that loving feeling..partially. 1 1/2 years ago I was a poor, poor peasent who was lucky to get a kill and be able to afford a new weapon. It was satisfying to kill somebody especially if he was using good equipment, and it was nice to develop your char and buy new things etc. I think I loved crpg the most when I didn't understand anything, knew nobody and got raped all the time. I loved it cause it was new. I had been raping bots in singleplayer for almost 3 years and I almost allways topped the scoreboards in native for 1 year (including beta).

Nowadays its a bit different for me. I hardly ever get raped, I'm stinky rich and know alot of people. To be honest I get almost all my fun out of trying to be the best and kill the best fighters in crpg. I know that this might sound weird for some of you butthe thing that really satisfies me right now is to top the scoreboard with an awesome score or kill an awesome player like eg GTX or Xant or Candiru in a duel. It feels so good to me. Now that I can't develop my character and my equipment any further, I want to develop my skill. It's hard to do so in Native, because its way too random with too many unfixed things and too much cav/ranged for a 2hander like me. My skill doesn't really increase when playing native. If you dont get shot or backstabbed by cav you get feintspammed to death by one of the "top" twohanders. Mount and Blade is the only game that I've ever played long enough to be competitive and I really don't want to lose my skill in this game. cRPG afterall is still a great mod (game) and I've been enjoying it for 1 1/2 years now and I'm definetly not thinking about retiring. We got caring Mods and Devs and - allthough there are many retards - a quite nice community. sry for terribad english, I'm tired as fuck. :D

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #185 on: December 29, 2011, 12:49:26 pm »
Personally I just think they need to take crpg back to it's roots. Tell the community to fuck off and just do it your way dev's, it's your mod afterall.

Crpg was originally just a version of Native where you could pick your gear and stats and frankly I preferred it then.  Now it is a bizarre mishmash of odd projectiles and occasional mad animations.

I miss the fun builds and the silly weapons, IE: boulderonastick and the loony toons axe. What happened to the Crpg sense of fun? Now everyone seems to be a miserable bastard hell bent on squeezing the most efficiency out of their build or gear, it's even affecting me, im fast becoming a miserable bastard myself because this game has become one of the most frustrating wastes of time ive ever took part in.
Those of us old enough to remember the change from 1st/2nd Edition D&D to 3rd share your pain.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #186 on: December 29, 2011, 12:55:03 pm »
+4
In my opinion cRPG has only improved the 1 ½ year I've been playing.

This doesn't mean my experience of playing the game has increased.

Research shows that adults try to mimic their fascination of christmas from when they were 6-10 years old. In that age christmas is magical and fantastic and so adults try to recreate this feeling of fascination often resultining in large disappointments. The magic of childhood cannot be recreated.

I see a parallel of "classic cRPG" vs. "new cRPG". When we played back then, the grind towards the first gear it was a new and exiting feeling. Affording your first plate, horse whatever. Problem was, that his experience could not be recreated over and over and instead resulted in bad multiplayer gameplay.

The improvements of the newer versions of cRPG actually made the game replayable.

Main focus of devs should be on two things:
1) Make strat work. Strike a balance between strategy & action game.
2) Make a league for tournaments. Solo, small team and large team. Make seasons and wipe the ladder every 3-6 months. Give bragging rights on forums and medals.
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline ulfardarri

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cannibal Holliday and 14 more
« Reply #187 on: December 29, 2011, 09:40:23 pm »
I say Long Spear out of the game :twisted:

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #188 on: December 29, 2011, 10:21:37 pm »
+1
This is a bumped up old topic but still pretty relevant.

For me, a lot of the problem was worrying about EXP/retiring in general. Retiring to level 1 and leveling to level 20+ is a pretty horrible experience. After the market came out, I was like screw that. I am having much more fun with my gen 3 character. He is level 33 (respec'd at level 33 before). Don't have to worry about EXP, multiplier, or anything like that. I get on, play, and get off when I feel like it, even at X5. I found that much more enjoyable. I only have 1 loomed weapon but it doesn't even matter in the long run.

Classes aren't that out of balance, but I feel that improvements are still possible, such as the fixing of exploits and  the tweaking of annoying gameplay mechanics.

All I ask is for devs to continue to take into account the enjoyment of their player base when making design decisions.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #189 on: December 29, 2011, 10:32:52 pm »
All I ask is for devs to continue to take into account the enjoyment of their player base when making design decisions.

No, you really don't want that. Mostly because the player base isn't a monolithic entity with one opinion, as can be seen from the variety of "nerf" and "buff" calls on this forum, interspersed with other gameplay suggestions. You can't please everyone. They should just make the game something that they want to play and ignore the vast majority of  player's "opinions" (charitably calling it that). Although there's been a lot of great ideas from the community, so not automatically dismiss everything of course. They should use their own judgement on that. But setting out to keep the "playerbase" happy, that anonymous, schizophrenic monstrousity, is a bad idea.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1094
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 29, 2011, 11:29:18 pm »
First thing first, democracy is an illusion.

No, you really don't want that. Mostly because the player base isn't a monolithic entity with one opinion, as can be seen from the variety of "nerf" and "buff" calls on this forum, interspersed with other gameplay suggestions.

Great minds think alike, fools think otherwise.

You can't please everyone. They should just make the game something that they want to play and ignore the vast majority of  player's "opinions" (charitably calling it that). Although there's been a lot of great ideas from the community, so not automatically dismiss everything of course. They should use their own judgement on that. But setting out to keep the "playerbase" happy, that anonymous, schizophrenic monstrousity, is a bad idea.

Trying to please everyone is stupid concept. After some time inferior will adapt to the better (which was suggested by superior).

To me it seems that they are trying to please inferior majority. That's why grind is essential part of the mod and easy mode classes like ranged are powerful. Good idea from their perspective but bad for elite part of this community, those with enough brain to realize that something is rotten in the land of chadzia.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #191 on: December 29, 2011, 11:35:11 pm »
Let me guess, you're obviously part of the superior elite? Hate to break it to you but you're just a biased and self-centered as any other player of the mod. Your opinion isn't any more worthy or better than anyone else's. I'd even go so far as to say your opinions are even more worthless than the average player's because they're compounded by ridiculous arrogance, but I'm probably biased.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #192 on: December 29, 2011, 11:58:21 pm »
Oberyn you say what? :lol:

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #193 on: December 30, 2011, 12:07:35 am »
No, you really don't want that. Mostly because the player base isn't a monolithic entity with one opinion, as can be seen from the variety of "nerf" and "buff" calls on this forum, interspersed with other gameplay suggestions. You can't please everyone. They should just make the game something that they want to play and ignore the vast majority of  player's "opinions" (charitably calling it that). Although there's been a lot of great ideas from the community, so not automatically dismiss everything of course. They should use their own judgement on that. But setting out to keep the "playerbase" happy, that anonymous, schizophrenic monstrousity, is a bad idea.

I think I didn't phrase that with enough clarity. What I was thinking when I typed that was after they decide what they want to add/change for themselves to consider how it will actually help the community, not necessarily pandering to the players whims because player consensus can often times be immature and view changes in the short term.