Author Topic: Where do strategus battles take place?  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
Where do strategus battles take place?
« on: January 16, 2011, 03:20:56 am »
I have not played Strategus so I have no idea and there doesn't seem to be any guide about it.
The reason I'm asking is because I prefer to play on horse with a heavy lance but I fear there is no use of mounted players in Strategus.
I'm also about to start out my 2nd generation character so it would be nice to know if I should skip the riding skill or not.

Does open terrain battles exist?
Does village battles exist?
Do I need to join a clan to battle in Strategus?

Offline Eyerra

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Where do strategus battles take place?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 07:49:20 am »
The battles are open-terrain if they are fought outside of town and villages.
Village battles do exist and they happen when other player attacks a village.
You don't need to join a clan to battle in Strategus (of course it doesn't hurt :wink:).

In my opinion you should play whatever build that you enjoy and are good at.

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:06:02 am »
Cavalry are incredibly useful in Strategus.  Mounted units flourish under organized commands and Strategus (occasionally) has those.  But really, build however you like.

The thing about clans and Strategus is, without one it is very hard to take part in the game of control and conquest.  You can still take part in the battles via some clans that hire randoms, but at least in the NA community even that is becoming rarer.  Really, Strategus is designed for groups/clans, not individuals.  So basically, you can battle without a clan but you need one to make war.

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Erasmas_the_Grey
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 02:25:04 pm »
When you see the upcoming battle, first have a look at the Calradia map; the battle will take place in the exact location where the parties involved are at the moment. So - if it is in the open field, the battle will take place in the open field. If the attacker conquers the village, the battle will take place in that village, if town or castle - you will have a siege.

You need to apply for the battle, and wait until you are accepted.  It may never happen. Sometimes (in big battles) there is more applicants than places in roster.

Cav is very useful indeed. Very expensive as well. And you need to remember that the parties need to provide equipment to all troops i.e. if you have 1000 vs 1000 battle, each party have to buy eq for 1000 warriors. 1000 boots, 1000 armour, weapons etc. For that reason there are battles with or without cav, depending on terrain, but the principal decision is made by commanders who buy equip taking into consideration budget they have.

About builds - some players think about Strategus when deciding on class they want to play. I fully agree with Elleryie and Braeden - make a build that suits you, just to have fun playing cRPG. Apply for Strat battles and try to do your best. Join the clan!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 02:26:56 pm by Erasmas »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 07:13:33 pm »
I will continue my cavalry path then :)
Thanks for the answers guys!

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 10:57:52 am »
If you apply for a battle write you character specs in the comment field. More information the more likely you get hired.
In general you hire own clan members first -> known good players / allied clan members -> high level player  -> rest to fill up if there is any.

The fasted way to get blacklisted (every faction owns one i think), do shit in battle (like not listening to orders, wasting equip, doing stupid in general) and of course not showing up for battle. Better unsign yourself when you're not sure if you can make it then not show up.
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 12:18:21 pm »
About build, you can do what ever you want, but archer was the last master of the field in Strategus, other style were there to fight and destroy archers or to protect them. But archers ruled Strategus with cross fire in open map and village, and ofc in siege.
Dunno if the last patch will make Strategus more balanced and more fun for other class.