Author Topic: Suggestion: armor looting, more valuable = more likely  (Read 987 times)

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
Suggestion: armor looting, more valuable = more likely
« on: November 10, 2011, 10:34:11 pm »
+8
The main reason archers dominate in Strategus at the moment is that it just makes more sense to buy expensive bows than expensive armor.  I can buy a bunch of nice horn bows or rus bows and be pretty guaranteed to keep most of them if we win the battle, as dead archers can run out and pick their bows back up.

It makes little sense to buy a suit of plate mail for anyone, though, because when they inevitably die, that armor is lost forever and costs a crapload.

Why DOES their armor get lost forever, anyway?  Did they explode?  We were fighting in a swamp?  Do we just always bury warriors in their armor as a sacred ritual so that they can be protected in the afterlife?  Sod that.  If you die, I'm taking your armor back.

To that end, I think chadz could solve this easily in the web interface.

Examine: equipment before the battle vs equipment after the battle.

There is a percent chance that the victor can recover lost items.  The percent chance increases based on the value of the item.  Plate will get recovered more often than not; peasant gear will get lost more often than not.

Alternatively, perhaps there could be some sort of "salvage" mechanic.  Lost gear gets turned into "junk" which the victor can recover.  The more valuable the lost items, the most junk you get.  Junk can get taken back to a village and quickly converted into new gear.  So, say, every 500 gold of value (cRPG prices) turns into 1 junk.  You lose 1 Milanese Plate, you get 63 junk.  The conversion rate from junk back to items is 2:1.  So 126 junk can be turned into 1 Milanese Plate.  Or you can turn it into some Mail Shirts.

Money is still leaving the world at a good clip, but if you lose your 20 armored knights, you can at least create 10 new armored knights for free, from the junk.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 07:42:47 pm by Slamz »
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
Re: Suggestion: armor looting, more valuable = more likely
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 10:37:05 pm »
P.S.
Junk conversion into armor could be handled automatically via the existing interfaces.

If I say I want to craft Mail Shirts, then it will first check to see if I have enough junk.  If so, it will use the junk and charge me no money.  If I don't have enough junk, then I will pay the usual cash amount for the crafting.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 10:57:34 pm »
Hmmm. Making the junk weigh a lot would also work PRETTY well with the new encumbrance system. You COULD get half your items back, but you would make your depleted army vulnerable to counter attacks. Your moving slower because of the higher junk weight AND you probably lost quite a lot of men!

Sounds good?

Another way would be for all items to get a -1 to them. EXAMPLE: MW Pike, becomes Balanced Pike or a Normal Pike becomes a Bent Pike. Could be that it's -1 for items used, but not lost (still equipped when battle is over), -2 for used equipment (someone died with it and nobody picked it up). With a possibility to repair them in fiefs. Dunno if we should be able to "restore" their 'loomed version. Personally I would say no, but maybe you guys have a nice reason for it to be possible.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Visconti

• Count
  • Renown: 278
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Velucan
  • Game nicks: Tristran_Steward_of_TKoV
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 01:36:00 am »
Sounds like a great idea, +1
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Offline Wiawins_ATS

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 02:28:06 am »
+1 in some from, this should definitely happen.

Offline Relit

• Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 109
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Relit
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 03:13:38 am »
I like this idea a lot.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 05:48:19 am »
+2
Increasing armor loot, decreasing weapon loot?
I like.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 07:39:44 am »
+1
If you choose to loot armor/junk your character should be locked for a very short period of time after the battle depending on troop size and battle size (unless it were in a fief), small battles = instant. It wouldn't make sense that people flee an area right away and still managed to loot a ton of stuff from the battle.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 02:58:10 pm »
Someones been playing TLD.
Monkeys!

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 04:27:52 pm »
I like the idea. Of cause the winner should get the "junk" of the opponent too by looting the slain enemies.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)