Author Topic: Archer bow secondarys  (Read 535 times)

Offline Valdian

• Knight
  • Renown: 63
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis, Irish Band
  • IRC nick: Valdian
Archer bow secondarys
« on: October 11, 2011, 02:09:27 am »
Ok ive been playing a archer for a while now and this idea came to me because of how slow you pull out your melee weapon my idea is mainly for 2 handed bows but a seconary mode that allows you to block with your bow and use it as a staff(very low dmg) the dmg would be like a practice staff maybe less but you can knock ppl down with it allowing the archer if hes smart enough to run away.
1 slot bows arnt good for much you could maybe block a blow or 2 but you wouldent be able to attack but stuill that ability to block would be key to servival if the archer gets jumped by ppl.
To counter the 1 slot bow non hit ive had another idea that puts a small buckler and a bow together as 1 item(maybe make it with not much hitpoints or coverage but still the ability to block like a shield) so that archer would need a little shield skill to use the bow but the defencive bonus would make it worthwhile(great for a horse archer)

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
Re: Archer bow secondarys
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 06:41:52 am »
Only if you can hit only once and then brake the bow.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline indigocylinder

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 07:31:13 am »
or maybe if you can switch to melee and you can't switch back.

like fixing the primitive bayonets in empire total war.

Offline Valdian

• Knight
  • Renown: 63
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis, Irish Band
  • IRC nick: Valdian
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:05:01 am »
Naw the archer would need to be able to switch back most ppl suck at blocking anyways unless they use a autoblocker, there are a few skilled blockers 80% of them are in clans lol. and the dmg im talking about would be finite there would be no dmg almost, the weapon would turn into a 2 hander or a pole archers dont hit hard in melee anyways the basic of the idea is smash them down run away

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 10:16:32 am »
Naw the archer would need to be able to switch back most ppl suck at blocking anyways unless they use a autoblocker

o.O

I know alot of archers that can block as good as most melee players.

shieldskill for archers to use 1h bows?   Why should anyone waste athletics, weaponmaster or powerdraw to shieldskill? o.O

Blocking with a bow?  Yeah for sure, 1 hit with an axe and my lovely longbow lies infront of me, broken into pieces  :rolleyes:

Not being able to switch back to archery? Are your retarded?
What do you think will someone do with his bow when a melee guy is coming?  Instead of throwing it to the ground or putting it on his back so he can fight, he will break it on his knee or what?  :rolleyes:

Seems your suggestion wasn't even halfway thought about

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 05:38:23 pm »
Only if you are not allowed to use the bow again due to you breaking it. A chunk missing out of a staff? No problem keep swinging away. A chunk missing out of a bow that is then subjected to extremely high amounts of stress? Bad things will happen...

Realism perspective, this is a bad idea.
Game Balance perspective, this is a bad idea.

So... no to the idea.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.