Author Topic: Make chamber blocks more useful vs shields  (Read 767 times)

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
Make chamber blocks more useful vs shields
« on: September 30, 2011, 07:39:55 pm »
+1
When playing against competent shield users, it has been my experience that chamber blocks are almost always blocked (with the exception of thrust chambers). I still usually go for them, just because it makes fights more exciting.

If chamber blocks were made more useful vs shields, then 1v1 shield combat between good players might become more entertaining. Currently I just put my shield away, and hope my opponent does the same.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Make chamber blocks more useful vs shields
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 07:49:39 pm »
What do you suggest to make them more "useful"

Edit

I do agree though, 1v1 against a competent shielder can be very boring. But the way I see it is that a shield is best used in group fights to stop friendly attacks, then as you said, put your shield on your back for 1v1 situations.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:54:16 pm by Siiem »

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 08:03:49 pm »
What do you suggest to make them more "useful"
There a few ways this could be done. The most obvious is that the attack could be made more likely to hit. This could be tied to shield speed, with slower, more durable shields being more susceptible. Another possibility is that the shield could take considerably more damage than normal.

Held attacks and quick (overhead or thrust)-to-side feints can be used to defeat chamber block attempts, and both are fairly simple to pull off. As a result, I think it's reasonable to ask that chamber blocks be made more effective.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:06:16 pm by Vodner »

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 08:15:24 pm »
+1
Make it so when you chamber block with shield equiped it does not damage the shield
Just a soldier

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 08:34:25 pm »
I might be making too many metagame leaps here, but I think that allowing chambers to get through shield blocks based on speed would only encourage spam.

If a shielder goes up against someone who can chamber, they won't be able to do simple swings b/c they'll take a chamber hit.  So they'll have to do hold attacks or quick feints as you mentioned.. which can get defeated by indiscriminate spamming.

It puts shielders at a further disadvantage against savvy 2 handers, which I don't think is needed.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 08:48:02 pm »
If a shielder goes up against someone who can chamber, they won't be able to do simple swings b/c they'll take a chamber hit.  So they'll have to do hold attacks or quick feints as you mentioned.. which can get defeated by indiscriminate spamming.
These are the exact same mindgames that high level 2h / swashbuckler fights already have. Simple attacks beat out-of-turn attacks, out-of-turn attacks beat feints and holds, and feints and holds can beat chambers. You have to try to predict your opponent based on his past actions, and his footwork. When I fight opponents who are really good at chamber blocking, I find it makes for some really deep, interesting gameplay.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 08:49:53 pm »
Blocking a chamber-block is easier without a shield as it is. You just need to turn into your attacks/chamberblocks more and/or use a faster weapon.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 08:58:35 pm »
These are the exact same mindgames that high level 2h / swashbuckler fights already have. Simple attacks beat out-of-turn attacks, out-of-turn attacks beat feints and holds, and feints and holds can beat chambers. You have to try to predict your opponent based on his past actions, and his footwork. When I fight opponents who are really good at chamber blocking, I find it makes for some really deep, interesting gameplay.

I agree it's good to have that type of combat, but your proposal is saying that shielder being chambered = takes a hit, while another class being chambered = they have a chance to block.  Makes it a bit too powerful against shielders that way because there isn't an effective counter/negation to the chamber on the shielder's side.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345