Author Topic: How to take video of matches?  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Bashere

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lyrical_Genius
How to take video of matches?
« on: September 28, 2011, 04:38:57 am »
title says it all

Offline Mihilist

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: HeyZeus, Steppe, Just1Hand
Re: How to take video of matches?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 05:03:23 am »
+1
http://www.fraps.com/ is probably the most popular.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:27:30 am »
Unless you have a beefy ass rig, running the game + fraps will give you a LARGE frame rate reduction.  One way to minimize this slow down is have fraps record/save to a NON booting harddrive.  I havent tried my external USB harddrive yet, but saving to your boot drive will kill fps.

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:32:59 am »
+1
in-game to take a video

hold down alt and press X
the timer should be on top left near fps (if on)
hold down alt again and press x again to turn off recording
should save to default video folder on ur computer

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 10:46:59 am »
in-game to take a video

hold down alt and press X
the timer should be on top left near fps (if on)
hold down alt again and press x again to turn off recording
should save to default video folder on ur computer
^something is wrong here.......just saying
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline PikeDan

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro Fide, pro utilitate hominum
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Pikedan
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 11:13:13 am »
I stream using Livestream typically. It works well enough and the stream saves on my livestream account, it works pretty well.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is our oath.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 05:26:47 pm »
http://www.fraps.com/ is probably the most popular.

Yeah fraps rocks. Well worth buying.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Mihilist

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 06:19:44 pm »
Unless you have a beefy ass rig, running the game + fraps will give you a LARGE frame rate reduction.  One way to minimize this slow down is have fraps record/save to a NON booting harddrive.  I havent tried my external USB harddrive yet, but saving to your boot drive will kill fps.

Really don't need that much of a system to record this game (there's almost no compression in the FRAPS video file which is why they're so freaking huge).  I run a Q6600 stock with an 8800GT and 3.5gB of ram on WinXP.  Most of the system impact from FRAPS will come from writing to your HD.  You can seriously mitigate the impact of this by saving to a secondary drive (e.g. drive the game is not installed on).  I can record at a solid 30FPS at 720p in 100+ person games using a 7200rpm HD.  If you have the luxury to record to a solid state drive or ram drive you could even more dramatically reduce the impact it creates. 

I'd guess going to USB would be really slow unless it's a 3.0 interface.  Most you're going to write will be around 22-25mB/s and if you have SATA drives those are going to be significantly faster.  If you could convert the drive to eSATA you'd be a lot better off.

Offline Herald_Hardrata

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 06:45:53 pm »
My laptop has a built in webcam above the screen. I just hold up a medium sized mirror and set the webcam to record while I play. Works pretty well.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 10:10:43 pm »
FRAPS.

And then some sort of video editing software.  I use Adobe Premier Elements, which is pretty full featured and helps a lot with removing or changing the volume of the audio, adding in music, changing the speed of the video (speed up the boring parts or slow-mo the good stuff), etc.  I'm sure there are free video editors out there that are decent enough.  The Windows one is basic, but will get the job done.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 12:22:38 am »
Really don't need that much of a system to record this game (there's almost no compression in the FRAPS video file which is why they're so freaking huge).  I run a Q6600 stock with an 8800GT and 3.5gB of ram on WinXP.  Most of the system impact from FRAPS will come from writing to your HD.  You can seriously mitigate the impact of this by saving to a secondary drive (e.g. drive the game is not installed on).  I can record at a solid 30FPS at 720p in 100+ person games using a 7200rpm HD.  If you have the luxury to record to a solid state drive or ram drive you could even more dramatically reduce the impact it creates. 

I'd guess going to USB would be really slow unless it's a 3.0 interface.  Most you're going to write will be around 22-25mB/s and if you have SATA drives those are going to be significantly faster.  If you could convert the drive to eSATA you'd be a lot better off.

thanks captain redundancy.  if the guy doesnt about video capture I'm fairly sure he isnt going to have a 2nd internal HD or even know what external Sata means.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 12:40:52 am »
FRAPS.

And then some sort of video editing software.  I use Adobe Premier Elements, which is pretty full featured and helps a lot with removing or changing the volume of the audio, adding in music, changing the speed of the video (speed up the boring parts or slow-mo the good stuff), etc.  I'm sure there are free video editors out there that are decent enough.  The Windows one is basic, but will get the job done.

I'd recommend Sony vegas. Very easy to learn and easy to use. However all the advanced gizmos are also available. Taste thing I think.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Mihilist

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 12:42:46 am »
thanks captain redundancy.  if the guy doesnt about video capture I'm fairly sure he isnt going to have a 2nd internal HD or even know what external Sata means.

Wasn't for him, it was for some guy that thought recording to a USB drive would be a viable alternative.

Just because someone doesn't know about a piece of software doesn't mean they're ignorant to hardware.