Author Topic: What kind of GFX card is needed to turn off "load texture on demand" for crpg?  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Fesor

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Hello!

I'm getting lots of freezes, mostly on the beginning of the round when new players spawn, and also later when there is around 100 players or more.

I tried turning off "load textures on demand" but the game hangs at the loading screen with "loading setting data".

There is a RGL error process in the process manager, and in the rgl_log.txt the last line is "Error on creating shaders: Out of video memory!"

I'm using a nvidia geforce 8800 gts with 640 mb ram. It runs the game fine except for the loading freezes.  How much video ram is needed to load all the data at the beginning? Has anyone succeded with a card similar to mine?

Offline Kabookie

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kabookieson
  • Game nicks: Kabookie
I am using an NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT/GTO which has 256 MB memory. Does well most of the time, but recently had my PC overheating (processor heat mainly) causing a lot of slow loading which made it where I was getting disconnects at each map change and load times were dragging to where I missed first rounds.
A thorough cleaning out of the dust helped matters a lot.
Not sure about it helping your RGL errors.

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
Not sure how much vram is required for that but i could do it with my old 512MB card so i am not sure what the problem could be but there were more items added so that might have raised the requirements over that sweetspot.
Maybe some of your Vmem fried?

Anyhow i would also advice everyone who experiences freezes to check the "force single thread" in the advanced options of the launcher.

Removed all screen freezes i got ingame since the game is obviously not really optimized for multithreading.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Most of the freeze problems (2-frames-switching freeze) have something to do with your cpu RAM. The game needs fast-clocked and abundant RAM to avoid freezing.

Try increasing the "render_buffer_size" up to half your VRAM max, in the rgl_config file (Documents/Warband).

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
I have an older Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT that has 1GB of video ram.  I used to operate MUCH smoother with LToD off until most recent patch (fucking gay turkish stuff).  Also when there are more than 80 players on a server I would start getting pauses every few seconds, like losing frame rate but wasnt reflected by Fraps.

I think anything over 1GB should work

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
I have an older Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT that has 1GB of video ram.  I used to operate MUCH smoother with LToD off until most recent patch (fucking gay turkish stuff).  Also when there are more than 80 players on a server I would start getting pauses every few seconds, like losing frame rate but wasnt reflected by Fraps.

I think anything over 1GB should work

Ofc all depends on the age of the card, since the technology has alot to say. So remember to keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 08:14:08 pm by _GTX_ »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Ofc all depends on the age of the card, since the technology has alot to say.

Textures are all about video memory.  Doesnt matter if you have FAST memory, if you cant hold it all.

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
Textures are all about video memory.  Doesnt matter if you have FAST memory, if you cant hold it all.

Ive only got 1 gb like u, but im running 240 fps(or whatever the limit is set to as default) stable at highest graphics.

But sry to interrupt if im wrong :oops:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 09:38:20 pm by _GTX_ »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
Most of the freeze problems (2-frames-switching freeze) have something to do with your cpu RAM. The game needs fast-clocked and abundant RAM to avoid freezing.

Try increasing the "render_buffer_size" up to half your VRAM max, in the rgl_config file (Documents/Warband).

OMG thank you for this.  I didn't know other people experience this problem.  I've been running the game in DX7 (looks like shit) just to avoid the freezing.

In the event that doesn't work, do you have any other suggestions or threads that discuss this issue?

I've got a ATI Radeon 4850 512mb
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 08:29:32 pm by Garison »

Offline Mihilist

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: HeyZeus, Steppe, Just1Hand
To see if it's a memory issue, download GPU-Z  http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ and run it before jumping in game, set it to log to a .txt file.  This will show your GPU utilization, and memory utilization -- you can then see where your video card bottleneck is, if there is one.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 09:37:10 pm by Mihilist »