Author Topic: How many people...  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1155
  • Infamy: 1317
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
How many people...
« on: September 08, 2011, 11:24:25 pm »
... are playing this mod/game just because of superior combat system and don't give a dime about medieval wars, history and such themed stuff?

I'm really interested am I alone or there are some others. Actually I like history but that's not the reason why I'm here, I'm here mainly because of unique combat system, I would play this if it was about: robots, cowboys, modern warfare...

Since combat with 2H swords has most tricks, options, coolest moves, naturally, I enjoy the most using those weapons.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: How many people...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 11:27:26 pm »
I love medieval stuff, but if I were a true history geek I would have to rip my eyes out after playing cRPG. Medieval weaponry is just badass, to be able to use them with a good combat system makes this indeed the most interesting game. The history pulled me to the original Mount and Blade, the combat system made me stick to this franchise.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 11:28:00 pm »
I play this game because my RL friend (who is known here as Bothersome Aldryk) said that they finally made a game that him and me always discussed (where your individual slashes could be controlled, and had to be manually blocked), and that the game was a pretty cool game.

Since Calradia is a fictional land, I don't give two hoots about historical accuracy. if this mod was like the Stainless Steel mod for M2TW:K then I would be rabid about it being historically accurate, but this mod has nothing to do with historical accuracy so bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh to all the people who want to shove it in.

This game has a cool medieval fighting thing going for it, so I like it. Yay.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 02:20:23 am »
Love the mechanic

Like medieval stuff in general

Don't care about historical accuracy...

:)
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 05:17:28 am »
I am doing a Major on Medieval Studies at my Uni, so your guess is as good as mine ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 03:12:14 am »
... are playing this mod/game just because of superior combat system and don't give a dime about medieval wars, history and such themed stuff?

I'm really interested am I alone or there are some others. Actually I like history but that's not the reason why I'm here, I'm here mainly because of unique combat system, I would play this if it was about: robots, cowboys, modern warfare...

Since combat with 2H swords has most tricks, options, coolest moves, naturally, I enjoy the most using those weapons.

hmm i remember some years ago when I dl'd the mount and blade demo

you could level to about lvl 6 or 7 i think before you couldnt progress any more

i played the tutorial and I thought "this is a bit shit looking" until the horse riding part and then my interest grew

I got out onto the campaign map, had a fight with some looters (a total fail noob fight as you would expect)

I made it to a town, walked around and checked it out, did some more checking out, realised I could get my own army and own fiefs and decided to buy the game - i was lvl 4 i think.

A bit off topic but thats why im playing now. I fell in love with the game then and thats why im still playing it now. I do like war and i do like medieval stuff but i play because i just enjoy the game.

My interest has stayed because of all the cool fighting mechanics involved in mp but if there was no mp id still be playing sp mods for sure.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 03:28:17 am »
I've had M&B for 6-6.5 years now. The gameplay, as well as the theme, has always fascinated me.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 11:00:28 am »
the melee mechanic was awfull hard to master and thats why i love it, but it brings satisfaction when you become decent/good with it. so theres a bit of rage if you invest hours in mastering this (the hardest part of the game imo) and then you encounter 20 ppl on the roof just not giving a fuck, but hey thats life.

as for the history part, im not much of a historian i know some basic stuff from school and college and some interesting stories off the classical history books from my friend who is a historian but i in general love the raw, brutal mentality of the time and slicing someones face off  :mrgreen: brings me pleasure and i still have some good times with my mates and the mauls hahah. oh yeah and the death screams etc. are awesome.

if ppl just werent such griefing douches...

Edit: i forgot to mention i am also not anal  :mrgreen: about being 100% historically accurate and i dont hold grudges from the past, like me being Croatian and us waging wars for centuries with the Turks i dont have a problem with them in this time of day and age and will certanly wear Arabian clothes in game same goes for Russian, English, German etc. gear.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:06:27 am by Prpavi »
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 02:21:05 pm »
Me 100%! Well, sort of. Love the conbat mechanics since many years now. Since I played the original M&B the first time I couldn't touch any 3d rpg anymore. Everytime I tried to play a eldersrolls game or gothic 2 or so I couldn't bear the bad fighting mechanics. This has only worsened with Warband.

I allways dream somebody would make a really good singleplayer rpg someday. With a combat system like in Warband, a spell/sorcery system like in Arx Fatalis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-rQW5B87xY&feature=related (watch that, really cool game and spell system, where you had to draw certain runes and combinations of them to cast spells), and atmosphere and story like baldurs gate. Men, that would be awesome.

Back to the question I actually study history, but I'm not so much interested in the military aspects and it doesn't prevent me from loving unhistorically movies like Gladiator.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 02:23:43 pm by The_Bloody_Nine »