Author Topic: Polestun duration  (Read 568 times)

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Polestun duration
« on: September 02, 2011, 05:25:59 pm »
As the title says, why is the stun with polearms so pronounced?

Before people say 2h is superior to polearms - polearms have incredible variety, utility and they hurt. There's everything from short and painful (Bec) to long and incredibly annoying (Long Spear). Then you have all the variety in between. Concerning 2h, the greatswords are largely the same length and speed with a little variation in stats while the same goes for mid-tier weapons like Longsword and the Heavy Bastard (same fucking sword, just one has a scabbard). Facing two opponents and one having a long spear to poke you and loloverhead through his teammate is the epitome of frustrating as you're attempting to fight the guy in front of you. As far as damage is concerned, the values are comparable. The poleaxes do greatsword damage and have longer reach. Not to mention they have balanced shield breakers and a balanced pierce weapon.

Granted, the animations on polearms do give 2h an advantage. I can't get used to them; they just feel weird to me. But that a personal preference, and I see many people dominating with polearms.

Before people say polearms have to be different from 2h - polearms have incredible variety, utility and they hurt. That's different enough. Why do you need to be staggered as well? I find it incredibly illogical that you can shrug off a slash from a sword while a swing with the blunt side of a spear can have you staggering and unable to move.

Is this is a rage post? Nah, I just woke up :D I'm just genuinely interested in the reasoning behind this mechanic and am not looking to argue about it. I don't consider it a game breaker but I have to admit it's frustrating when you get stunlocked. If its something hardcoded then I apologize for wasting forum space.

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Polestun duration
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 01:51:57 am »
What do you mean by the stun is too pronounced? If you're talking about x on 1, with x>=1 then jolly well fun [I could be a dick and assume you mean that you're unable to block the next attack in which case I could set up an argument that if n people are on you, you could be stunlocked regardless of their weapon composition. Finding n, and seeing if it's greater than the amount of people who could physically hit you in a complete surround would then see if staggering at all is acceptable. If n is less than that number, then we could set an upper bound of staggers and rescale the stagger times of weapons].

If you're talking about 1 vs 1, the only time I recall stunlocking somebody [I use polearms] is when I jumped down and spammed a fransica on somebody [with 1 wpf]. I almost stunlocked somebody with a hammer and 64wpf today, but three of his teammates came out [I hit him about 4 or 5 times]. The vast majority of the time I'm stunlocked 1vs1 is when I'm hit by a one hander, although I was almost stunlocked, once, by some poke/overhand only polearm and possibly a bec [also once]. I was also stun locked by a military cleaver [1vs1], but the situation surrounding that was sketchy and not really worth talking about.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 02:17:57 am »
best part is while 1vs1 a polearm agi build can almost stunlock you, when you meet 2 polearm, you get stunlocked to death for sure.

the only way to fix stunlock imo is by changing the stagger animation (shared by polearms and throwing stuff... yes when you get hit by a jarid you trigger the same polearm stagger animation)

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 02:26:02 am »
We all know polestun's shit - it's been said 1000 times and the answer is still the same:

Nothing can be done until WSE.

Therefore, we'll just have to suck it up.

I suggest 2h stab damage buff!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die