3 (75%)
No
1 (25%)
Didn't read
0 (0%)
Hate chadz
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Shop stats (suggestion)  (Read 483 times)

Offline BD_Guard_Bane

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guards
  • Game nicks: BD_Guard_Bane
  • IRC nick: cmpxchg8b
Shop stats (suggestion)
« on: January 22, 2011, 02:20:45 am »
So, here's a suggestion to improve gameplay:

In the cRPG shop, take away all the info about the weapons and armour, and replace it with non-specific information. Some of the info can be kept (requirement, name of weapon, picture of weapon). The rest gets replaced.
Cost gets replaced to a range - so instead of price: 134, it's price: 100-150 range.

To give an example, using the Long Iron Mace:

Long Iron Mace   Price Range: 3500-5000   
weight Quite Heavy (a maul would be described as Very Heavy)
requirement 11
spd rtng Quite Fast (where a katana would be described as very fast, or a maul as very slow)
weapon length Fairly Short (while a Flamberge would be Very Long)
swing damage Medium (the type of damage can be removed)
thrust damage Low

The special flags are removed completely to add to the fun. 

The designations (i.e. damage: very low, low, medium, high, very high) would only be relevant to the weapon category, so a Flamberge has Very High damage for a 2hander, but this can't be compared to very high for xbows, for example.

This way people will have more fun shopping for weapons (they won't have to concentrate on stats, and each weapon will be a mystery for them until they use it enough and gain familiarity with it). Players can buy items more for their look, and if they want to find the best weapon they'll have to spend a lot of money and time testing to try to deduce the correct values. I think it would make a lot of people more relaxed about making their characters.

As another bonus, threads about nerf/buff weapons will be reduced drastically. A more harsh option would be to remove all item info except a price range, requirements, and a picture. I think it'd increase the fun of the game because of the mystery element. Where a player might have overlooked a weapon because of it's stats previously, this time they will buy it, use it, and come to love it (realising in the process that skill/practice makes more difference in their fights than a few more points of damage or speed). Also, people will make mistakes, which will increase gameplay content for them - they'll have to realise their mistake and sell the item, and try another one.

For armour, all that is needed is a picture, the strength requirement, and a cost described as very cheap/cheap/average/a little pricey/pricey/damned expensive. People will have to judge the weight and protection by the picture, adding yet another challenge for even more fun.

For ammo, the quantity doesn't need to be shown, nor does damage. For ranged weapons, you can change the stats to general descriptions in a similar way. The same goes for horses.

For extra fun, you could add a short description to an item (for example: Courser; 'Said to be the fastest horse in all Calradia!'), or a quote from a satisfied customer (e.g.: 'This Wimple with Veil has served me well through many battles, protecting my head from hails of bolts, arrows and thrown weapons. I am very happy with my purchase, and would recommend it to anyone seeking reasonably priced and fashionable head gear!').

Feel free to comment on this suggestion. Though if you disagree, I will send threatening PMs. 
I defended the village and all I got was this stupid title.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: Shop stats (suggestion)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 02:40:12 am »
Only thing I can say about this is that as an MMO gamer, even if you remove all the info we will test and test and test some more until we have a reliable collection of data in order to put out a player-created weapon-wiki that details the stats of each weapon (damage, range, speed) and ultimately the "best" ones of each catagory.

I understand what you would like to happen, but I mean gamers have done this and drove devs nuts with it forever.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?