Author Topic: cav build heavy lance+1h and shield  (Read 3855 times)

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: cav build heavy lance+1h and shield
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 02:30:27 pm »
1h/polearm-hybrid is not a good idea.

For a beginner, I d say go heavy lance + courser and backstab. This is the easiest. There are some maps where its a bit difficult/ needs some experience. But as a pure polearm, you always have the option to spawn without horse and go pikeman. 6 riding is enough. power strike is more important.

The second best choice would be large warhorse, shield and 1h. 5 riding is enough. bump-slash.

for battle, the sarranid/ arabian warhorse is not as worse as the plated charger, but its more for people with lots of exp in cav-play, and even then, in most situations the above mentionned are better. Although, you might need a new keyboard in some weeks.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 04:41:11 pm »

For a beginner, I d say go heavy lance + courser and backstab. This is the easiest. There are some maps where its a bit difficult/ needs some experience. But as a pure polearm, you always have the option to spawn without horse and go pikeman. 6 riding is enough. power strike is more important.

The second best choice would be large warhorse, shield and 1h. 5 riding is enough. bump-slash.

for battle, the sarranid/ arabian warhorse is not as worse as the plated charger, but its more for people with lots of exp in cav-play, and even then, in most situations the above mentionned are better. Although, you might need a new keyboard in some weeks.

1h/polearm-cavalry/footman hybrid is actually a great idea.  Just ask me, Huey Newton, or TommyHu.  Having the ability to 1h/shield on foot (for sieges and when dismounted) as well as having decent athletics allows us to basically become footman at any time.  You could go straight polearms, versus 1h/shield, but that's up to personal preference.  I don't find my shield blocking many projectiles from horse, but it does happen.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Daniisme

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 66
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 04:36:38 am »

Playing cav is totaly not new for me im one of the best cav in VoN in native but crpg cav is a bit diffrent so I need tips :P

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 01:46:44 pm »
Hybrids are bad in general but as lancing from horseback requires no WPF it's not a problem.

A few things first:

Power strike

Lance:
- Not needed while couch lancing. No difference between 0 PS and 7 PS for example.
- The more skilled you are as a lancer (speed of horse, timing and thrust attack to the head) the less important this skill is.
I have tried out 12 power strike with an alt recently and that was enough for me to be effective with the heavy lance.
I have also tried out couch lancing only. But sadly the great lance is not much better than a heavy lance.
So I would pick heavy lance over great lance just to get the thrusting capability - even with 0 PS and 1 WPF in polearm.

Sword:
- The more skilled you are as 1H cav (speed of horse, timing and attack to the head) the less important this skill is.
- My experience as 1H cav is very limited. I assume a hit to the head at high speed will 1 hit kill most of the time with only 4 power strike but I'm not sure.
But in general I think you need more power strike as 1H cav than a lancer.

Weapon master

- Not needed for lancing from horseback
- Not needed for 1H from horseback
- Only get WM if you want to be better while fighting on foot (or if you want a hybrid build)

That means you can be effective as a lancer with 4 PS and 1 WPF in polearm (thrusting and couch lancing combined).
That means you can probably be quite effective as 1H cav with 4 PS and 1 WPF in one handed.
That should help you to make a hybrid.

Level 30 final build (if you will retire at lvl 31)

If you got the skill this is the build for you.
With this build you should be able to take on every player in crpg, no matter the map, the situation or if you are on horseback or not.

(click to show/hide)

Level 35 final build:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 05:08:46 pm »
+1
Also 1H/pole cav hybrid here, the only difference between the builds that have been proposed is that I like having more polearm wpf, around 140 in pole and 100 in 1H. Sure, it's not "needed", but if your primary goal is to fight enemy cav then pole wpf along with a highly maneuverable horse with fast acceleration/decceleration is a bonus.
I also tend to never use 1h on horseback with that build, it's only purpose is after being dehorsed.

Offline Daniisme

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 66
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 05:49:11 pm »
Also 1H/pole cav hybrid here, the only difference between the builds that have been proposed is that I like having more polearm wpf, around 140 in pole and 100 in 1H. Sure, it's not "needed", but if your primary goal is to fight enemy cav then pole wpf along with a highly maneuverable horse with fast acceleration/decceleration is a bonus.
I also tend to never use 1h on horseback with that build, it's only purpose is after being dehorsed.
Thats excatly my goal.... Im a strat fighter if most of you dont know and cav is requierd there so....

I think i will try 12/21 because i can have alot in shield and ath but i will put more into polearm insatd of 1h

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 05:53:39 pm »
+1
Thats excatly my goal.... Im a strat fighter if most of you dont know and cav is requierd there so....

I think i will try 12/21 because i can have alot in shield and ath but i will put more into polearm insatd of 1h

I have played as lancer for almost 20 gens and with 12 str even with 4 iron flesh you will die in 1 arbalest shot if you charge into them. Also with 4PS you lance won't be able to kill people in 1 hit, PS does affect couch damage, before i thought only speed affect it, but PS does affect it. Tried 0 PS on 10 riding my couch rarely kills people. In cav duel if you miss you will also die in 1 hit, with that kind of hp you have it is unlikely you will survive after dehorse, but fun build to try :D

if you are using heavy lance get as much wpf as possible, if using lance like light lance you don't need any wpf since its already fast and deadly

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1459
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2012, 05:58:12 pm »
18/21 65 hp

6 IF
6 PS
5 SH
7 AT
7 RI
7 WM

79 polearm
160 1H

I'm seriously considering this build. But I would split wpf because I don't find difference between 100, 120 and 150 wpf in 1H that noticeable.

Another build I have in mind is similar, just 21/18 because of 7 PS which I think could be useful for foot shielder. But I'm not sure. Also, not planning to ride Arabian.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2012, 06:19:47 pm »
+1
Like CrazyCracka said, "For whatever horse you want to ride your agility should just meet the minimum requirements". If you can get more str/ps and still ride the horse you want it's worth it. The hit on total wpf isn't that bad, I also don't find the the differences post 100 too noticeable. 130 pole has very little difference to 140 for example. Enough that it can give you a small edge sometimes, but maybe that's just an impression.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2012, 08:02:26 pm »
I personally like having my polearms WPF up around 120ish, I notice the difference between that and 0 WPF (like some suggest to use for lancing, that's bad advice IMO).  Also, power strike affects your couch damage, and I can tell you that with 100% certainty.

12/21 sounds like a terrible build....I'd at least go 15/21 (if you're going to be 1h/polearms and shield) if you were just going polearms you could be 18/21).  That's if you want to ride an arabian, if you want to ride a courser, only go up to 18 agility (and then you can have more STR/power strike).  Same if you want to ride a destrier, only have 15 agility and max strength.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 11:14:11 pm »
Deciding on how much WPF you want is tricky... I think that is the hardest part when making a build with split up WPF. I guess the best thing you can do is to use STF and test it.
Start with a lower amount of both PS/WPF then raise them.

1-50 WPF in polearm isn't the best for a lancer. The more WPF the better of course, as with every class.
But as long as you do hit and run attacks 1 WPF will be sufficient. That goes for both charges vs infantry and cavalry.

With 160 WPF however (maybe 100 is sufficient) you can give much better close range infantry support, as you don't need to wait ~1s from thrust realease to hit.

Maybe I'm not the right person to suggest low WPF after all with my 160 WPF in polearm ;)
On foot however, a fast attack is a really good thing and if you want to use 1H you should not have it as low as I have with my main, which is 66 WPF.
I can only really use 1H from horseback. On foot my attacks are so slow most enemies can block with ease making it quite useless.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:41:58 pm by Riddaren »