Author Topic: So, I've played around a bit..  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: So, I've played around a bit..
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2011, 06:09:40 pm »
I may be talking out of my ass here, but I'm assuming given the long periods of war between France and England there was probably a lot of military tech exchange/copy/evolution. I don't know enough about the weapon or period to know if it was parrallel evolution or who invented first or whatever, but not surprising that they're basically the same weapon.

Only to a point.
Due to the radically different terrain, England never invested as much into cavalry advancements as France did, hence why French Cavalry are always depicted as usually being more armoured then the English counterparts of the same era. When the feudal system was starting to break down for troops and the standard troop become a soldier of the state and not a soldier of a specific lord, England moved more towards the same route that Castile/Leon/Spain did and went for more lightly armoured but mobile cavalry, where as France continued to to invest in the "tank" mentality to stupid high levels where you literally had multi-layered rigid plate skirts going down to about shin level, and were admirably proofed to a point against firearms, though this made them rather expensive, and the rider was still a primary target as he could only be so armoured compared to the horse.

On an infantry level, they were more or less the same, though tactics radically differed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:11:01 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Shpongled

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • Totally shpongled, mate...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Shpongled, Merc_Shpongebob_Tightpantsh, Merc_Shpongtastic
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2011, 08:45:35 pm »
Not generally a fan of fantasy weapons in Crpg, but some of those could make really cool masterwork versions of weapons.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I gotta turn down my merc application as i was in a pub and would be of no use to you. Maybe it's good for you in the end, although i was motivated to see the first merc's defeat ever in strategus."
 --- Beauchamp

Offline H4rdn3ssKill3r

• Baron
  • Renown: 107
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Crummy Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: naaaaaaaaaah
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2011, 10:35:35 pm »
Christo, you forgot about this sexy looking sword called the English Longsword, check it out it's at Shredzorz_weapons.BRF ;)

EDIT: Oh my fucking god, GERMAN BASTARD SWORD? ME GUSTA!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:37:52 pm by H4rdn3ssKill3r »
f8uasdlöadk blablablababa lbalba
^ Analogy of discussions on forums.