Author Topic: General bitching.  (Read 653 times)

Offline Visus

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • TripSteppin'.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Visus_of_Chaos
General bitching.
« on: August 12, 2011, 05:23:37 am »
Nevermind.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 06:52:06 am by Visus »
الايرلندي ليوبارد

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Someone explain Awlpikes to me.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 05:24:54 am »
Ask Aldryk, he has good points on why the awlpike is a fantastic weapon  :P (it probably also helped though that he was a dedicated pokemaster for so many generations)
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Visus

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • TripSteppin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 05:32:41 am »
Ask Aldryk, he has good points on why the awlpike is a fantastic weapon  :P (it probably also helped though that he was a dedicated pokemaster for so many generations)
The point is you shouldn't have to be Aldryk to use it well. You certainly don't need to be dedicated with other weapons to use them effectively.

Aldryk isn't polearm anymore anyways. And he started playing it because it was a challenge for him.

Two attack directions are hard against good players. Especially when underpowered.
الايرلندي ليوبارد

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 06:00:52 am »
That is all bullshit. The Awlpike has one purpose on the battlefield. Kill. Plated. Shit. Shouldn't it make sense to have it be exceptional at this one task, considering it is so flawed in many other ways?

As you already covered in your post:

It's a support weapon.  When used properly as a support weapon it becomes far more effective than most other weapons used in combination.  Two moderately skilled players, one with a 2h sword and the other hoplite-ing with an awlpike, can charge archers, using the awlpikeman's shield, kill cavalry, using the awlpike to disable the horse and the 2h to finish the rider, kill most players in under three seconds ((1) stab+slash or (2) 2h-slash to distract then pokestun to get guaranteed damage and to setup a second slash), and effectively disable every single crushthrough weapon.  I find the awlpike very potent and not in need of a buff.

The long awlpike, on the other hand...  :rolleyes:

Offline Visus

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • TripSteppin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 06:07:54 am »
As you already covered in your post:

It's a support weapon.  When used properly as a support weapon it becomes far more effective than most other weapons used in combination.  Two moderately skilled players, one with a 2h sword and the other hoplite-ing with an awlpike, can charge archers, using the awlpikeman's shield, kill cavalry, using the awlpike to disable the horse and the 2h to finish the rider, kill most players in under three seconds ((1) stab+slash or (2) 2h-slash to distract then pokestun to get guaranteed damage and to setup a second slash), and effectively disable every single crushthrough weapon.  I find the awlpike very potent and not in need of a buff.

The long awlpike, on the other hand...  :rolleyes:

So its ok for a normal weapon to do as much damage on three of its attacks, as the MW Awlpike can do on its most effective attack? That doesn't seem right.
الايرلندي ليوبارد