Author Topic: Help me finalize my build  (Read 641 times)

Offline Philippe

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Help me finalize my build
« on: July 31, 2011, 01:16:47 pm »
Its not for today, but I m already planning my definitive build in order to test and make a few adjustements in the next generations.

Considering that :
-I like to play as a late 14th century heavy knight with Sugarloaf, Transitionnal armor, Mittens and Schynbalds
-The weapon I use the most on foot is a Sword of war
-A knight is not a knight without his horse !
-It really bothers me because its the coolest weapon, but the great lance is really bad right now and sadly impractical to use, so I need some points in polearms to have a decent speed with a regular lance.
-I like to have the option to use a ranged weapon from times to times, I considered a few points in throwing just because I like the fun of it, but the amount of wpf to invest when you wear heavy armor is completly ridiculous and makes it impossible (beyond ~60 wpf for 2 little PT points with that gear, correct me if I am wrong). So crossbow it is, and I have to invest a few points just to avoid the money sink

That leaves me with a few options : push to 21 agility with 7 in weapon mastery or stay at 18 agility with 6 in weapon mastery and 1 more point in power strike. Anything below than 18 agility makes me a bit too too slow, and I need enough WM to add some diveristy to the build since I will be stuck with it forever.

For a level 33 build :
If i take the 18 agility path, as I see it for a level 33 build its either 140 2h and 80 pole wpf with around 60 crossbow, or 150 2h and 80 pole and i forget the crossbow.
If I take the 21 agility path, I have more options, 140 2h 100 pole and 60 crossbow, 150 2h 80 pole 60 crossbow, 140 2h 90 pole and 80 crossbow or even 140 2h 80 pole and 90 crossbow

In fact, going for 150 wpf shuts a lot of doors.

Is the difference between 140 wpf and 150 wpf worth it when wearing such heavy gear ? What about going below 140 2h wpf, like 130 ?

If you were using the very same equipment, what would you do ?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 03:45:50 pm by Philippe du Val de Lys »

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: Help me finalize my build
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 04:20:19 pm »
If I were you, I'd specialize.

Sure, you can put WPF into everything, but it won't work well on the long run.

Ask yourself a question, what is the closest playstyle for me? What fits me the most?

Is the difference between 140 wpf and 150 wpf worth it when wearing such heavy gear ? What about going below 140 2h wpf, like 130 ?

Yes, it is worth it in my opinion. The more points you can get, the better.

Problem is that the correct wpf/armor penalty is unknown, so we can't state how many points you'd have.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:22:38 pm by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Philippe

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Help me finalize my build
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 05:02:37 pm »
Thank you for sharing your opinion Christo.

Unfortunatly I cant specialize more than a 2h polearm hybrid if I want to use a horse. I cant bear the idea to drop the sword for a polearm or to drop the lance, i doesnt fit my idea of a knight. The most I can do is not putting any point in crossbow.

I m not a good player by any means, a lot of players could kill me with 10 levels less and a hand tied in the back and I have a lot of practise ahead of me before reaching a point where overspecializing could make any difference. I m ok with the idea to be a little bit less effective in a particular field to have more options, as long as I stay potent and not make the right build choices according to what I like to do. And that 18 or 21 agility is a tough one to make along with where to allocate those wpf points.

Problem is that the correct wpf/armor penalty is unknown, so we can't state how many points you'd have.

I tried a few days ago using "skip the fun" on another character to make a thrower with the exact same gear weight. With 4 points in PT I still had the the message with 102 wpf. I dont know how much more was needed, but that means the wpf penalty with that gear seems to be more than 45% if you compare it to the 56 points needed when wearing nothing. According to that going from 140 to 150 would only add 5 to 6 in the best case on my effective wpf. I dont how to relate that to the speed increase on a 94 speed weapon though.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:03:57 pm by Philippe du Val de Lys »