Author Topic: Hey so I remembered how fun this was and came back!  (Read 656 times)

Offline Fareas

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Hey so I remembered how fun this was and came back!
« on: July 26, 2011, 04:44:48 am »
I was a decent archer a while ago before the upkeep/animation change of archery patch. Since i just came back from such a long time I thought I would share my thoughts on whats changed for the better or for worse.

For those who were not there, I can honestly say archery was broken we shot quickly and most people died in 1 or 2 hits paired with the old gen retirement wpf boost and some people quickly became death machine guns.(Kesh)
Of course measures were taken in the patches that came after. Archers were hit hard in the next patches they had to bleed for what they had done to cRPG(dominating matches instead of people in plate armor or people on plate horses(or both))
They had a slowed firing rate from the new animation also the gen wpf boost and extremely high levels that could be reached(which is what rendered them overly powerful in the first place) were also removed and most bows became cut weapons save for the slowest one. This was pretty extreme in my humble opinion but you see it was not supposed to be a problem that bows would become cut since the upkeep system was supposed to make players very very rarely wear plate because of the high costs which would render the cut type a viable option, we all know how that worked.

Now like most melee players would say when a weapon type gets nerfed it doesn't matter as much since the player can compensate for the nerf with his very own player skill but now archery can't even do that. Some players said archery required no skill but I think aiming far at the distance estimating where the opponent will move towards takes skill but now when I shoot I simply pray that my very slow randomnly shooting weak arrow will hit the target for minimal damage since we can't even accurately shoot from a close distance. Paired with weapon slots the only weapons pure archers could carry into battle that could hurt plates a bit used to be 2h or polearms but now if we want to hurt them with pierce we have no choice to use longbow and 2 set of arrows or deal with the fact we wont have enough arrows 2 minutes in the game so that we can have a 1h weapon.

I also see throwing isn't doing much better. I currently see the game as more broken then what it was when I left but I suppose since 2h/polearm/horse riders dominate over anything else everything is fine and dandy

I played plenty of games those that succeeded did this :

Nothing should ever dominate games.
Any thing purely invested into should be equally powerful as something else purely invested into.
Costs should not justify Balance in any mean.
Realism should never justify the current state of game.(never use that argument for anything seriously)
Nerf vs Buff
Nerfing makes what you used seem weaker making you feel weaker reducing fun, Buffing however lets you keep what you liked how it was while other classes get up to par.
Winner is Buff

I am not saying archery should be back to what it once was but it certainly shouldn't be what it is right now, same for throwing and crossbows.

All in all perhaps the game is worst then what it was because of the upkeep system not working like how it was designed to, or maybe that's just me. Kudos to you who currently play archers actively because like me you purely enjoy it and simply prefer the play style no matter the nerfs.

Thanks for reading my rant on the current cRPG.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:45:55 am by Fareas »

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
Re: Hey so I remembered how fun this was and came back!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 04:51:25 am »
ima say it
tl;dr
Now that thats out of the way you came back at the worst time for archers.You missed your chance to make a bajillion gold from lack of upkeep and being able to do other archery stuff like kill ppl at range.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 05:07:34 am »
I was a decent archer a while ago before the upkeep/animation change of archery patch. Since i just came back from such a long time I thought I would share my thoughts on whats changed for the better or for worse.

For those who were not there, I can honestly say archery was broken we shot quickly and most people died in 1 or 2 hits paired with the old gen retirement wpf boost and some people quickly became death machine guns.(Kesh)
Of course measures were taken in the patches that came after. Archers were hit hard in the next patches they had to bleed for what they had done to cRPG(dominating matches instead of people in plate armor or people on plate horses(or both))
They had a slowed firing rate from the new animation also the gen wpf boost and extremely high levels that could be reached(which is what rendered them overly powerful in the first place) were also removed and most bows became cut weapons save for the slowest one. This was pretty extreme in my humble opinion but you see it was not supposed to be a problem that bows would become cut since the upkeep system was supposed to make players very very rarely wear plate because of the high costs which would render the cut type a viable option, we all know how that worked.

Now like most melee players would say when a weapon type gets nerfed it doesn't matter as much since the player can compensate for the nerf with his very own player skill but now archery can't even do that. Some players said archery required no skill but I think aiming far at the distance estimating where the opponent will move towards takes skill but now when I shoot I simply pray that my very slow randomnly shooting weak arrow will hit the target for minimal damage since we can't even accurately shoot from a close distance. Paired with weapon slots the only weapons pure archers could carry into battle that could hurt plates a bit used to be 2h or polearms but now if we want to hurt them with pierce we have no choice to use longbow and 2 set of arrows or deal with the fact we wont have enough arrows 2 minutes in the game so that we can have a 1h weapon.

I also see throwing isn't doing much better. I currently see the game as more broken then what it was when I left but I suppose since 2h/polearm/horse riders dominate over anything else everything is fine and dandy

I played plenty of games those that succeeded did this :

Nothing should ever dominate games.
Any thing purely invested into should be equally powerful as something else purely invested into.
Costs should not justify Balance in any mean.
Realism should never justify the current state of game.(never use that argument for anything seriously)
Nerf vs Buff
Nerfing makes what you used seem weaker making you feel weaker reducing fun, Buffing however lets you keep what you liked how it was while other classes get up to par.
Winner is Buff

I am not saying archery should be back to what it once was but it certainly shouldn't be what it is right now, same for throwing and crossbows.

All in all perhaps the game is worst then what it was because of the upkeep system not working like how it was designed to, or maybe that's just me. Kudos to you who currently play archers actively because like me you purely enjoy it and simply prefer the play style no matter the nerfs.

Thanks for reading my rant on the current cRPG.

YOURE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WELCOME BACK

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 05:20:10 pm »
I have an Archer Alt which I like to play.

I Use one Set of Barbed arrows.

I RARELY run out of arrows, and if I do, I Just pick some off the fucking Ground because there are so many on it.

No accuracy at close distance?Are you level 10?

Also, you cant do shit to plates without a Longbow?Hell yeah, dont shoot at Platers!Plenty of enemys with weaker armor around, and you are a goddamn Archer, you can CHOOSE if you want to melee.

Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."