Author Topic: Help with sheild/polearm hybrid equipment  (Read 1085 times)

Offline LAGIACRUS

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Help with sheild/polearm hybrid equipment
« on: July 20, 2011, 08:54:44 pm »
Level 31

Strength: 21
Agility: 15

Ironflesh: 5
Power Strike: 7
Shield: 5
Athletics: 5
Riding: 5
Weapon Master: 5

One Handed: 125
Polearm: 100

This is the build i'm lookin to try but on equipment i'm not sure what to do. I'd be interested in using a polearm that can also be used as 1hand with sheild. Is this viable? or should i be using a sword/axe in combination with a huscarl/heavy board sheild? What polearm and/or sword axe i should be using is my real question.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 08:56:33 pm by LAGIACRUS »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: Help with sheild/polearm hybrid equipment
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 09:18:34 pm »
Build looks good, but I would bump 1h up to 130-140 range, depending on how heavy armor you like to wear.  Polearm doesnt need that much WPF to be effective as support.

Spear & Shield is support weapon only, and not really viable 1v1 unless you are fighting some really noob enemies.

Axe or Blunt would make a good compliment to spear & shield setup.

I would recommend you first try out a FAST shield such as elite cav/knightly heater and a fast polearm like shortened/red tassel/spear

Whatever you do, dont thrust into enemy shields...it stuns your weapon and gets you killed.  Hold your thrust for when they open up or let go and feign then thrust.

Find a good fragger on your team and follow him around.  Circle around enemies and poke them when they try to counter-attack your fragger buddy.

Offline LAGIACRUS

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 09:25:32 pm »
since i'm looking to use the heavy board sheild, and it takes 2 slots, it seems my only option is a good polearm that can be used 1handed and 2handed. I'm wondering what weapons can be used both 1handed and 2handed. Also, when a polearm is used 1handed, is it then covered by 1handed proficiency?

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 09:47:43 pm »
since i'm looking to use the heavy board sheild, and it takes 2 slots, it seems my only option is a good polearm that can be used 1handed and 2handed. I'm wondering what weapons can be used both 1handed and 2handed. Also, when a polearm is used 1handed, is it then covered by 1handed proficiency?

board shield is horrible choice for spear & shield combo. Besides taking 2 slots, its too slow and after you thrust it takes too long to raise and will get you killed.  just because the animation shows it up, doesnt mean its protecting you.  So all those 'omg wtf i was blocking! he hit me thru my shield' momments are because you're using a slow shield.

ALL polearms can be used 2h.  Pretty much any polearm under 150 length can be used as 1h, but still uses POLEARM WPF.  Any polearm used with 1h will have a 1/3 dmg/speed penalty btw...which is why its a support weapon, not a killer.  You stagger, stun and impale opponents to help your TEAM.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:49:06 pm by Digglez »

Offline LAGIACRUS

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 10:01:34 pm »
Thanks for your input diggelz. So it seems the huscarl is my most viable option. If i'm using spear+sheild and sword + sheild when is the time to switch between the two, or to use just the pole arm 2handed? pretty new to this game so please, bear with me lol

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 10:41:50 pm »
Thanks for your input diggelz. So it seems the huscarl is my most viable option. If i'm using spear+sheild and sword + sheild when is the time to switch between the two, or to use just the pole arm 2handed? pretty new to this game so please, bear with me lol

huscarl is not a very good option either, specially for a beginner...TOO SLOW.  Like I said, try a fast shield, 90 or faster.  Your shield doesnt need to be as tough because you can use your spear to ward off would be attackers, they'll have to keep their distance more.

Try the elite cav out for a week.  If you absolutely have to have a big shield, try round or heavy round.  Stay away from kites, as they have poor melee coverage.

Blunt or pierce is a better option since the people that are going to be getting in your face are heavily armored.  Cut does little damage to anyone in plate armor.  Blunt is a great support weapon as well, as you have about a 25% chance to knock enemy down and allow allies to beat on them and you get a second free shot, which can knock them down as again! vicious cycle 4tw.

In my experience the best time to switch weapons...

against a shorter weapon, jump backwards and switch weapons in air...press block immediately (another reason why fast shield is important)

if you are getting face hugged by a 2h'er, wait til they miss an overhead or if they thrust attack into shield

I wouldnt bother using spear in 2h mode as a new player unless...
you are fighting off cavalry.  If they hit you, your dead anyways.  Using polearm in 2h mode means its going to pull back and stab quicker.
if your team has guaranteed victory, try a little 2h stabbing remaining enemies and blocking manually.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:45:27 pm by Digglez »