Author Topic: Block Bug - confirmed, further testing?  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Shpongled

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • Totally shpongled, mate...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Shpongled, Merc_Shpongebob_Tightpantsh, Merc_Shpongtastic
Block Bug - confirmed, further testing?
« on: July 03, 2011, 02:12:47 am »
After seeing a post made by Vargas about this, I feel it is time to come forward with my findings in the hope that this can be resolved.

I was on the duel server teaching my girl to parry. I would hold an attack direction and wait for her to parry correctly before releasing. We were sitting next to each other so I could look at both screens.

A strange thing happened. I had not released my attack, as on my screen the parry was in the wrong direction. My gf asked what I was doing, I said that she was blocking the wrong way. She assured me that she was blocking correctly, so I looked at her screen.

On her screen she was parrying left (the correct direction, as I had a right swing chambered). On my screen, however, she appeared to be downblocking. When I released the attack, it hit her as it should have given what I saw. However, on her screen, the attack went straight through her parry.

I was surprised at this and put it down to lag and we kept going.

In the next 10 minutes, it happened maybe 5 more times. I cannot recall the specifics (ie which attack/block directions they were. It may have been the same ones but I'm not sure.

However, each time it happened I got her to wait and even run around a bit before I struck. This was to test if it was due to latency, and I do not believe it was.

After it had happened a few times, I got the rest of the players to come and watch it happen. Maybe someone else can confirm, as I did not have the time to do more exhaustive testing.

Moral of the story: there is a bug that will cause an enemy to swing through the correct parry. When I realised this, it made a lot of sense. All those "I swear I parried right....." moments have been vindicated.

Shpoing

I neither claim to know how it works or how to fix it, but it does exist. Of that much I am certain.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I gotta turn down my merc application as i was in a pub and would be of no use to you. Maybe it's good for you in the end, although i was motivated to see the first merc's defeat ever in strategus."
 --- Beauchamp

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
Re: Block Bug - confirmed, further testing?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 02:33:45 am »
::enter swarms of newbs unable to manual block using this as an excuse::

Not that I don't believe you or anything.

There's also another block bug: I block the INCORRECT WAY and the block works. I'm not talking about a left block blocking a right block (as this is a feature,) but a left block of mine blocking an overhead attack by changing to the correct block on impact without player involvement.

The two bugs might be related.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline BcBKC

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kill Cult
  • Game nicks: KC_BcB
  • IRC nick: BcB
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 02:49:00 am »

Not that I don't believe you or anything.

There's also another block bug: I block the INCORRECT WAY and the block works. I'm not talking about a left block blocking a right block (as this is a feature,) but a left block of mine blocking an overhead attack by changing to the correct block on impact without player involvement.

The two bugs might be related.

You were blocking the right way, it just shows the wrong block because you are desynced with the server. This happens with attacking too, and is quite noticeable on servers past their load.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 02:49:43 am »
The important thing is that he is introducing a new player to the game! +1
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 03:10:27 am »
yes, a known bug caused by server lag.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 04:54:28 am »

bam. Right on the mark.

Anyway, that does happen. I think it's packet loss. It does happen every now and then. Not frequent enough as other people claim.

I just take all the "swear I blocked right" claims with a grain of salt.

aforementioned grain

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 05:15:30 am »

aforementioned grain
(click to show/hide)

+1
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective

Offline Ginosaji

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kukurutz, Whale_of_pure_Harmony, Topfentascherl, TRAFFIC_LIGHT
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 12:58:22 pm »

A new female player! That should be worth more than +1 :D

Wrong block directions happen to me from time to time, aswell as wrong attack directions. On some days I completely fail at manual blocking, but sometimes I'm 100% sure that I blocked right. One time after getting killed through my block people confirmed via chat that I blocked down instead of right.
Wrong attack directions are also bad if you swing left to not TA the buddy on your right and suddenly your weapon warps to the right and swings right through your teammate.

I also think that the local client of the game doesn't send further information if you hold down your mouse button, so it doesn't matter if you block/chamber for some time and run around.

Offline Gondemar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Torayama clan, Ninja, ex-Shogunate, ex-Pecores
  • Game nicks: Torayama_Munemori (main) ; Satsujin_the_Unseen ; Gondemar_the_Fat
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 01:09:01 pm »
One theory about this :
The server enforce manual blocking, but is the option in the game options set to "automatic" -default- or "manual" ?
The bug could, due to server lag or something similar (disynchronisation), come from the fact the game autodetect the attack direction and shows the animation of the correct block, not considering the movement of the mouse while the server does and shows it.

So maybe just turning the autoblock option to manual could solve this, in a few cases at least.
Just a theory though.

And 90% of the time -not in that case but still...- it's just that you blocked too late or released a block to early - human error, server lag...

The Way of the Samurai is found in death ; Torayama Clan
                          Munemori's armory

Offline Ginosaji

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kukurutz, Whale_of_pure_Harmony, Topfentascherl, TRAFFIC_LIGHT
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 01:13:58 pm »
One theory about this :
The server enforce manual blocking, but is the option in the game options set to "automatic" -default- or "manual" ?

I never play with automatic block direction, so that can't be the reason in my case.

Offline Kenji

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Casual Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 01:24:37 pm »
It is possible to block overhead/thrust with left/right blocks if you face your foe at the right angle. And upper/lower blocks blocking right/left blocks occurred to me more frequently when on sloped terrains or stairs.

Offline Templar_Ratigan

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 02:43:54 pm »

Yeah this is something I wished to avoid in my elephant in the room topic.

Frankly I know when ive played poorly, hah ive actually had -1 or 2 scores before from a bit of bad luck and occasionally poor judgement and it hasnt phased me one bit.

It's when something happens like this, that I dont understand and cannot explain, that usually frustrates me. I have noticed it happens a bit more when on nearly full, big servers, as opposed to small ones.

I like to learn from my mistakes, it's hard to do that when you cant even pinpoint the mistake. The other side of it might be to do with being right handed, most people are of course, but right blocks usually fail me more than any other, bending your wrist out to the right is not a natural position for the right hand to be in.

Perhaps because of this I often jerk my muscles a bit and it causes it to do a down block, which is what it sometimes flickers to.

Of course there is a flipside to this, which is swinging then the attack changes midflow to something completely different and it catches both you and your opponent off guard.
He reached for his pants and grabbed the cheese, missing the bees whose honey he needs.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 07:51:53 pm »
Confirmation that this is due to packet loss/lag bug, and that nothing can be done about it ?
Or is there a known solution (like not playing with over 50 ping, or whatever ?) ?

If just happened to nuff, nuff said.

[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;