Author Topic: Is all this perm death a joke now????  (Read 5107 times)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Is all this perm death a joke now????
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2011, 04:04:03 pm »
And we didn't expect ANYONE to fall for it, we really thought people would read that line, have a smile, and read on.

Well I TRIED to crack a joke at it Mr chadz but you deleted my post because you "wanted to be first reply" bah... Hehehe
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline runemaster

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vic_Rattlehead
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2011, 06:57:11 pm »
No harm, no foul. Thanks for making it right with the OP.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2011, 09:55:07 pm »
ITT whining idiots whining.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Myltinous

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: Rhemus_Myltinous, Pippin_McGee
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2011, 11:55:31 pm »
As soon as you institute both a grind and a carrot on a stick (rewards for said grind;  IE  Heirlooms, bonus xp, etc) then the focus inherently becomes about grinding, rather than enjoying the game itself.  This is a time investment, not instant gratification, therefore having an attachment to one's uber-grinded character is actually completely normal and rational.  Time is finite for us and so typically when someone/thing wastes said time there's bound to be a negative emotional response.

If it was about playing the game and enjoying the game everyone would simply have skip the fun level 30's with no heirlooms.
I guess your somewhat right. But Alexander didn't get it that bad, he retired, got a loom point, and didn't loose his char. I would completely understand him being pissed off if his char got perma-killed, but it didn't. This is the case where one should look on how much fun they had with their char going to lvl 32 instead of thinking of how much time they "wasted" playing to that point. The grinding you're talking about is different to what Alexander was doing, he wasn't retiring at 31, he was going to lvl 35 i'm guessing. Personally, the only part of the game that I focus on grinding over playing is the initial lvl 1-15 jump that one needs to make in order to have a chance at contributing (unless you count being a peasant-target contributing :mrgreen:). So I guess I don't understand the feeling Alexander and others are showing, for that I apologize. I do not, however, apologize for stating my opinion of the situation.
"One who thinks is one who conspires"
Ryan Myltoft
1992-present

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2011, 12:15:27 am »
no its not, here stolen from wikipedia, also I can attest to this definition as I have been on online since before the 1990's

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory[citation needed], extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted". While the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling describing intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context. For example, mass media uses troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[4][5]

The contemporary use of the term is alleged to have appeared on the Internet in the late 1980s,[8] but the earliest known example is from 1992.[9] Early non-internet related use of trolling for actions deliberately performed to provoke a reaction can be found in the military; by 1972 the term trolling for MiGs was documented in use by US Navy pilots in Vietnam.[10]

Early history

The most likely derivation of the word troll can be found in the phrase "trolling for newbies", popularized in the early 1990s in the Usenet group, alt.folklore.urban (AFU).[11][12]

Commonly, what is meant is a relatively gentle inside joke by veteran users, presenting questions or topics that had been so overdone that only a new user would respond to them earnestly. For example, a veteran of the group might make a post on the common misconception that glass flows over time. Long-time readers would both recognize the poster's name and know that the topic had been discussed a lot, but new subscribers to the group would not realize, and would thus respond. These types of trolls served as a practice to identify group insiders. This definition of trolling, considerably narrower than the modern understanding of the term, was considered a positive contribution.[11][13] One of the most notorious AFU trollers, Snopes,[11] went on to create his eponymous urban folklore website.

By the late 1990s, alt.folklore.urban had such heavy traffic and participation that trolling of this sort was frowned upon. Others expanded the term to include the practice of playing a seriously misinformed or deluded user, even in newsgroups where one was not a regular; these were often attempts at humor rather than provocation. In such contexts, the noun troll usually referred to an act of trolling, rather than to the author.

/ontopic LOL @ the guy who retired thinking he was gonna die, only problem was it wasn't kesh or it would be ultra LOL
tl;dr
visitors can't see pics , please register or login