Author Topic: The Great Long Axe  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Iggore

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
The Great Long Axe
« on: June 30, 2011, 06:11:55 am »
Hello everybody I recently started to use polearms and bought the GLA and .... I SUCK... REALLY REALLY BAD WITTH IT so i have to ask can anybody please share with me how to use this huge stick... because for me either I can't swing back because i have to block.. or i keep glancing with every strike.. anyhelp would be appriecated thankyou :D!! -also recommended builds would help :)
level 18
My stats:
Strength   18   
Agility   5   
One Handed   1   
Two Handed   1   
Polearm   94
Archery   1   
Crossbow   1   
Throwing   1   

skills
Iron Flesh   6   
Power Strike   6   
Shield   0   
Athletics   1   
Riding   0   
Horse Archery   0   
Power Draw   0   
Power Throw   0   
Weapon Master   
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 06:14:12 am by Iggore »

Offline Myltinous

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: Rhemus_Myltinous, Pippin_McGee
Re: The Great Long Axe
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 06:19:32 am »
This might not help much, but if your new to crpg you might want to go with 2h over polearm. polearms are hard to use effectively if ones new, at least in my experiance.
"One who thinks is one who conspires"
Ryan Myltoft
1992-present

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 12:41:24 pm »
I sincerely doubt you glance with the GLA and 6 Power Strike. Regarding blocking: As a rule of thumb, you can swing back safely every time you make a successful block, as long as you are quick. There are exceptions, but they're not worth worrying about initially.

Anyway, your build looks fine. I would go for the following at level 26.

(click to show/hide)

At that point you should have a better idea of what route you want to go. If you want to be pure infantry, I would go for 24/15 or 21/18, prioritizing PS > Ath > IF/WM. If you want to include some cavalry play, go for 21/15 or 18/18, putting at least 4 points in riding. For either build consider putting a single point in Shield - it will be invaluable on archer infested maps.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:42:55 pm by Elerion »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 02:14:46 pm »
Go for Tor's build, which is arguably the best GLA user.

iirc, it was something along the lines of :

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 18
    Agility: 21
    Hit points: 59

Skills to attributes: 8

Ironflesh: 3
    Power Strike: 6
    Shield: 0
    Athletics: 7
    Riding: 0
    Horse Archery: 0
    Power Draw: 0
    Power Throw: 0
    Weapon Master: 7

One Handed: 1
    Two Handed: 1
    Polearm: 164
    Archery: 1
    Crossbow: 1
    Throwing: 1

The GLA hits hard enough so you don't need to be str oriented. Because of it's length, the extra points in ATH can give a clear edge on shorter weapons. The 3 IF can be converted to shield or riding, btw. You might even want to drop one point of WM for 4 riding if you go  cav.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 02:23:12 pm »
until u have enough wpf,  you should go with a faster weapon,  or work as a support troop together with a shielder,  overheading and retreating to the shield when needed-
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bosco

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Steady...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 02:25:36 pm »
Or go for 9 PS like myself and one-shot most faster players.  :twisted:

Offline hellowrold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • proud republican
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 03:00:01 pm »
You should try the Long War Axe, it has 2 less swing damage and length but it has 2 more speed.
Imo it's much better than the GLA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 08:32:11 pm »
Tips for using the GLA, as asked for.
THis is pretty general advise for all polearms, or even all weapons!

You should be fine with 94 wpf for now, but increase it of course..  I can get a 1:1 k/d ratio in some games with 11wpf with polearms...so you should be fine there.

The "left-to-right" swing is the fastest.  The "right-to-left" and "thrust" attacks are the slowest, but have a better range.

After you block an attack, attack back immediately and they will have to block.  However, be aware if they are circling you, or dancing out of range, you might not be able to do this.  Keep your enemy in front of you.  Be aware of feints (fake-outs).

Aim for the head.  Angle the camera up a little when you side-swing.

A great way to hit the head is to use the "up" attack.  Be careful though, it's easier to dodge this one.  When you have the axe raised, use the end of the axe pole (near the players hands) as an aiming tool.  When the butt of the axe (the part does not have the blade) is lined up with the enemy's head, release the attack!

Get some athletics.  Footwork and positioning are just as (if not more) important than your damage and hit points.  Being faster will help you position yourself for defense or attack.

Just my advice!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:38:12 pm by Garison »

Offline Iggore

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 01:41:41 am »
Tips for using the GLA, as asked for.
THis is pretty general advise for all polearms, or even all weapons!

You should be fine with 94 wpf for now, but increase it of course..  I can get a 1:1 k/d ratio in some games with 11wpf with polearms...so you should be fine there.

The "left-to-right" swing is the fastest.  The "right-to-left" and "thrust" attacks are the slowest, but have a better range.

After you block an attack, attack back immediately and they will have to block.  However, be aware if they are circling you, or dancing out of range, you might not be able to do this.  Keep your enemy in front of you.  Be aware of feints (fake-outs).

Aim for the head.  Angle the camera up a little when you side-swing.

A great way to hit the head is to use the "up" attack.  Be careful though, it's easier to dodge this one.  When you have the axe raised, use the end of the axe pole (near the players hands) as an aiming tool.  When the butt of the axe (the part does not have the blade) is lined up with the enemy's head, release the attack!

Get some athletics.  Footwork and positioning are just as (if not more) important than your damage and hit points.  Being faster will help you position yourself for defense or attack.

Just my advice!

Thanks alot guys for the advice :D I would switch weapons but... I hierloomed it and now I have to use it.. so I might as well try to get good at it.. in any event I am currently doing a Long awlpike + Heavy GLA because
1. I use the awlpike for calvary its a great way to stop them and 2. I use the gla for infantry currently I want to be a purely infantry build so if anyone tells me whats best for purely infantry? that would be great thank you :)! also I might post of video of me playing so that way someone can show what i do wrong etc.. etc..

Thanks alot guys!

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 01:59:13 am »
are you an NA player? if so PM me and i'll help you get amazing at the weapon. I' ve been using the GLA exclusively for 7 gens and i can teach you tricks for getting easy kills, at the very least 2:1 kdr in seige.

Offline Iggore

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 02:09:01 am »
:) okay sent the pm