Author Topic: Angle check  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
Re: Angle check
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 05:41:45 pm »
This would make most stabs completely redundant. If you don't spin, it whiffs, or has a high chance of doing so. This would need to be solved first.

But mostly, if someone spins, block down.

I'm not too fond of removing it, though I've never got the hang of it myself. Not much stabbing with my preferred weapon. But, I don't think it should be removed. It's a valid tactic to an attack direction that would otherwise be gimped.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Angle check
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 07:20:49 pm »
Well... when done right a 2h sword right swing-spinthrust feint is extremely hard to read. Duel Phyrex and you'll never think the same again about spinthrusting. I don't know anyone that does this trick better, and few can do it actually. But it's really gamebreaking at that point.

I think you are wrong. Footwork is a huge part of melee combat. It takes skill to maneuver yourself so that you can step to the side and behind another player when he starts his massive overhand smash. It is less than interesting for that player to negate that skilled footwork and overcome their own lack of timing by simply spinning their mouse around. Same thing for someone who thrusts at you and misses, but can then turn the smooth haft of their spear into your side and do damage as if they just shoved all of that right through you. Its like throwing a punch, missing, and then rubbing your arm against their face. It doesn't knock people out.
Footwork should matter. This change will remove the str builds ability to negate the agi builds natural advantage.

Footwork already matters a lot. And frankly, not in a good way. Spinspamming a 2h/polearm is one the cheapest duelling techniques yet it works very well and many many many people do it. The worst thing about it is that many of the spinspammers don't even know how to fight in a different manner. So I don't think it should be "buffed" in any way.

Overall I think the spinattacks should not be changed. Removing the possibility of spinning thrusts and overheads would remove a good part of the skill involved.