Author Topic: Demented ravings of Lord_Ulrich  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Lord_Ulrich

• Knight
  • Renown: 35
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Demented ravings of Lord_Ulrich
« on: January 11, 2011, 02:35:48 pm »
Seems that veteran players are feeling the patch was a step backwards, and new players like the easy leveling.  My opinion is that before the patch the balancing was almost perfect, but there were some silly things like crossbow overpowered, archery skills borked, two hand too powerful compared to polearms which technically have more range and various anomolies.  I think most of the problems were cause by the sillyness of wpf and xp bonus for retiring being too good.  I love the idea of players getting rewarded with extra skull crushing power for putting in the time, the mod is called cRPG after all.  I must say playing this mod has been a by far the freshest gaming I have had been priviliged to have in ages and I thank chadz for his work on this.    Lets face facts, you cannot have a modern rpg without grind.  Grind is what seperates fps from rpg.  Uncapped leveling keeps people playing, and building their characters.  When I realized I can no longer be an effective huscarl type character I tried to come up with something else to be, mixed characters cannot get enough skill points to be effective.  Would it not totally fix the whole old system by simply reducing the retirement xp and wpf bonuses?  And for gods sake make the crossbow require at least some wpf or xbow skill?  I had to have 6 power throw and around 130 wpf in throw to be an effective thrower while at the same time 2 handers running around with their 0 requirement sniper crossbows could be just as deadly.  I am not whining I am just giving my input on the beta and I am not alone in thinking these things.  Every other patch before this improved the game in my eyes, this one has created a whole new monster.  The grinders will still do so and have massive gold reserves, new players will all be forced into restrictive boring builds and now even winning or losing the round doesnt even matter?  There are many problems with the new patch but I still have faith in chadz.  Long live chadz, and everybody do not hesitate to tell the devs what you think about everything they do, that is the entire purpose of beta testing.
Now I must away,
Lord_Ulrich

Offline BoZo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _BERSERK_
Re: Demented ravings of Lord_Ulrich
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 02:57:06 pm »
I just wish the upkeep system could be made to appeal more to common sense, ie; give every item a durability of 100. Every time you swing your sword at someone, decrease durability. Everytime you get hit, decrease armor durability etc. I'm not sure if this is even possible though... Just adding some dementia to the thread.

Offline Delro

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Taking Arrows To The Face Since 2008
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Delro_ATS
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 04:40:32 pm »
Not gonna happen Ulrich, see below for why.

And shut up.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,486.msg5110.html#msg5110

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lord_Ulrich

• Knight
  • Renown: 35
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 04:59:50 pm »
What the hell, you tell me to shut up?
This is a forum, nobody is forcing you to read it, why don't you take a hike.

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 06:48:42 pm »
I love the new patch.  "Veteran" players who prefer the old version probably used high level as a crutch, in my opinion.  There are a lot of new challenges with regard to upkeep and i really like it.  I love that the old "big blob" v. "big blob" mechanic of battles is gone.  I love that everyone is on much more equal footing with the soft cap.  RPG's don't need grind, only shitty ones like WoW need grind so that people subscribe.  Playing a game for fun is more fun. 

Offline Goretooth

• Duke
  • Renown: 634
  • Infamy: 237
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 07:37:39 pm »
I love the new patch.  "Veteran" players who prefer the old version probably used high level as a crutch, in my opinion.  There are a lot of new challenges with regard to upkeep and i really like it.  I love that the old "big blob" v. "big blob" mechanic of battles is gone.  I love that everyone is on much more equal footing with the soft cap.  RPG's don't need grind, only shitty ones like WoW need grind so that people subscribe.  Playing a game for fun is more fun.
Should just copy and paste this into almost all the posts on the forums now.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Braeden - Clanless maybe? or Free Peasant not sure - Rarely plays, plus might be retarded
Tydeus - Nord EU Scum - Hates adminning

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 09:01:50 pm »
Should just copy and paste this into almost all the posts on the forums now.

Indeed.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 09:12:46 pm »
Almost all of the veteran players I know are enjoying the patch, myself included.