Author Topic: Trouble in the mid-game.  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Game_Blouses

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Trouble in the mid-game.
« on: June 10, 2011, 09:34:53 pm »
So I am building my first character to 30 and am trying to go a riding knight with one handers.

The problem is that I bought mid level armor and my repair costs for it and my horse shot way up, but I still die a lot.  Now sometimes I actively lose money.  I've tried stripping off my armor or going back to basic gear but am quite ineffective and feel like i'm not helping my team.

What do people do in mid-game to stay effective and make money?  Should I just run around as a peasant and de-equip my horse until I have tens of thousands in the bank and then buy massive armor and weapons?  Do I just need to learn to play better and die less?

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: Trouble in the mid-game.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 09:43:06 pm »
Well, both in fact.

Playing Cavalry requires a constant amount of money, so in a bad day, you can take that gold loss, but you won't get bankrupt from it.

Just.. get to a stable state with your cash/upkeep, and then slowly add up items, see what you can handle.

Playing Cavalry also requires attention, and you can go down fast, so the fun/upkeep ratio can be mean if you ask me.
Also yeah, keep up levelin', and learning the game mechanics.

(tip: Don't play around with horses in the early levels, you'll just end up dying even faster.)

Hope this helped.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:49:08 am by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 10:01:48 pm »
Another tip for you : 1h cav is gimped.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 10:14:36 pm »
Another tip for you : 1h cav is gimped.

uh no, not really.  you have to adjust your gameplay.

What horses are you using? What armor are you using?

Speed is a dangerous think on horseback.  Wearing heavy armor doesnt matter if you are going full speed on a courser and run into pikes, as they'll impale you no matter what armor you are wearing.

Sure you can try and play like a jouster, sneaking up and wacking people in the back of the head, but you also have the option of close infantry support.  Circle around enemies that you're infantry is advancing on and distract them.  Wait for a good time and either bump, bump slash or slash them.  ALWAYS WAIT FOR ENEMIES TO BE FIGHTING.

I would suggest using mail armor with mail boots while you are at lower multipler with rouncey.  ONce you get up to 3x/4x use destrier.  If you get 5x, bust out the charger/plated charger!

Offline Belhade

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 11:49:50 pm »
Playing as a 1H cavalry (with shield I assume) means you've got more equipment slots filled than most non-cavs, and horses are just expensive.

Offline Game_Blouses

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 10:43:10 pm »
On certain maps where there is not a ton of incredibly skilled players I bust out my horse and lance and at times end up in the positive ratio of KDR.  On most other maps or maps where my team is loosing I have a cheap peasant outfit and a xbow to try and help the team some and keep gaining money.

Second question.  Should I upgrade my horse, my armor, my shield, or my 1hander first?  Right now I just have a Sumpter and this is a liability in calvary battles and against horse archers.  Well it's just a liability in general.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 10:47:02 pm »
Sumpter is a waste of time.

Get something that's useful, like a Courser/Destrier/Anything that's Req 3/4.

Upgrade weapons first, at least that's what I'd do.
But when you think about it, your horse is actually helping you kill, so if you find a good one for you, (and can pay for it's upkeep costs)
You can also upgrade that horse. But it's always nice to have an upgraded melee weapon, in case you fall.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 12:25:21 am »
rouncey is just fine for close infantry support cav.  I would upgrade your 1h weapon and get good with that.  I like Nordic Champ sword myself.  Dont skip on your shield, because when you get dehorses its what going to keep you alive to fight.

My x1 setup is mail armor, nordic champ sword + kite shield, rouncey,

Offline Game_Blouses

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 07:05:33 pm »
Hey just an update I bought a courser and things are going much better.

When my team is fail I go for a x1 peasant outfit and use a crossbow to help the team out on foot.  I get slaughtered when caught in close but it avoids heinous repair bills and money loss.

When I'm doing well I equip my courser and my best armor and weapons and pitch in.  I'm usually in the positives and just bought a heavy lance and a bec for when I fall off/get my horse shot out from under me.

I screwed my my skill points but w/e.  I'm just going to 31 to loom something and then i'll fix it.

Thanks for the help guys,