Author Topic: Make knockdown time standardized.  (Read 921 times)

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
Make knockdown time standardized.
« on: June 13, 2011, 08:54:06 am »
When a horse knocks a player down because of a charge, the player is vulnerable for long enough to take a swipe from surrounding melee. When a player gets thunked in the head and knocked down he is up immediately, long before too often long before any sort of offense can be made. Why is horse knockdown so much longer than weapon knockdown? Would it be possible to increase the knockdown on weapons as to make their effect more useful? Going prone in melee should be a major concern, not a minor split-second annoyance.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
Re: Make knockdown time standardized.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 09:21:37 am »
I'd assume it's because the horse is much heavier, and hitting a much larger area of your body at great speed. I find the knockdown of melee weapons adequate.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 11:27:56 am »
When a horse knocks a player down because of a charge, the player is vulnerable for long enough to take a swipe from surrounding melee. When a player gets thunked in the head and knocked down he is up immediately, long before too often long before any sort of offense can be made. Why is horse knockdown so much longer than weapon knockdown? Would it be possible to increase the knockdown on weapons as to make their effect more useful? Going prone in melee should be a major concern, not a minor split-second annoyance.

Everytime I see someone knocked down by a weapon, he dies 99% of the time before he can stand up.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 12:30:35 pm »

Everytime I see someone knocked down by a weapon, he dies 99% of the time before he can stand up.

I' rarely see a shielder knocked down who isn't blocking the followup swings on his way up. Knockdown is so random no one plans for it and by the time most people are back in range for the 2nd swing, the shield is already up (somehow while the animation still shows on the ground). Hop on the duel server, grab a cudgel and test it out while fighting normally.

A horse being heavier should have nothing to do with how fast a man in armor can push himself from the ground to standing (not instantaneously). Not that this is a a realism argument, the speed is simply ridiclously swift at the moment.

Perhaps give the animation a modifier based on equipment weight so low weight builds get up super quick, but super heavy builds might need more time? Base on STR or AGI? Still no?

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 12:55:36 pm »
The problem is if you buff weaponknockdown a bit more it will be unbalanced and the new op-stuff.
You will see 100 Threads in no second that those weapons should be nerfed etc.
Nobody wants to see this.

I do use a knockdown weapon from time to time and it gives you some free kills but what is also important
some more time if you fight multiple opponents. Its just a good thing if you knock one down kill the other one
and get back to the first while he couldnt attack you when you killed his bro.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 02:57:42 am »
Knockdown is fine granted i think its only fair that people should be able to get up as fast when knocked down by melee as when they get bumped.
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 11:06:57 am »
What i love it how shooting ennemy's on the ground makes them stand up automatically. (when they were bumped or knockdowned, not when they're down cause their horse got shot).

Knockdown time is fine imo, gives the little advantage you wanted. Not that much against shielders, true.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Shablagoo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 12:36:27 pm »
I think the point is that you get a free swing, not a free hit.  So you can block on the way up but you can't attack.  It seems like it would be overpowered if you were guaranteed a free second hit.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 12:51:22 pm »
If you haven't stepped out of range it is a guaranteed hit. From using one-handed maces during clan matches in native, I've come to learn that one knockdown equals three hits, if you do it correctly. The knockdown itself is one of the hits and you'll get two more before he can block again. Often, one knockdown with a one-handed mace spells the end of the guy you're fighting.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 01:22:34 pm »
Rarely see anybody standing up again against knockdown weapons (not 1h or spiked mace ofc).

WeaponKnockdown is okay the way it is.

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 04:42:41 pm »

I thought you might you say "Everytime I see someone knocked down by a weapon, 99% of the time it's Roxtanos." It sometimes feels like that: I always seem to be knocked down if it's at all possible.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 10:58:55 pm »
Well, I was really thinking what I typed. Someone down = one free hit on him. In every duel (on the duel server) I did and knocked someone down, I had to stop the next swing to prevent myself from attacking the opponent when he's on the ground. In a group melee, however, it's possible to avoid that hit, when a good player tries to save you and hits the enemy first. So I don't really see the point of this suggestion.