Author Topic: Viability of 1H/shield with no armor  (Read 2168 times)

Offline galneon

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Viability of 1H/shield with no armor
« on: June 01, 2011, 02:38:17 am »
I just started playing today and am considering the following build for my first character:

Level 31 (8 892 403 xp)

Strength: 12
    Agility: 24
    Hit points: 47

Ironflesh: 0
    Power Strike: 4
    Shield: 8
    Athletics: 8
    Riding: 0
    Horse Archery: 0
    Power Draw: 0
    Power Throw: 4
    Weapon Master: 8

One Handed: 170
    Two Handed: 1
    Polearm: 1
    Archery: 1
    Crossbow: 1
    Throwing: 50

My idea for gear would be a light shield, plain clothes, a side sword or a long espada (can I get some opinions on which of these two?) and some darts to soften up plate targets (they seem more useful than shurikens in this right).  The idea is speed, but I'd be paper and 1-hittable by almost anyone, especially considering all the 2-handers out there.

Is this is a romanticized build or is it viable?  I've only started playing Warband today and before that hadn't played M&B original since beta.  Even if I wasn't a newb, could this type of build ever kick much ass?  If I want to be a cookie-cutter slow tin can, I'd have chosen 2H or pole arms, so I'd really like to keep armor to a bare minimum, preferably none.

If this sounds like garbage, would the identical character but with polearm instead be preferable?  Would 15/21 work better for the 1H build?

Thanks for the input!

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: Viability of 1H/shield with no armor
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 02:53:45 am »
I actually have an alt that I use this build on and it works quite well. I would drop the throwing though and put it in IF for a little more health or ride if you want to go that way.

4 in throw isn't going to do much for you and the act of throwing itself would slow you down which is death for a character like this.

If you're careful, situationally aware and don't get swarmed you can take people apart with a build like this. The only problem is that pretty much everyone will one hit you and the weakest archer can kill you with a couple arrows if they shoot around your shield.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 03:33:41 am »
If the side sword or long espada is not.. Up to your expectations, I recommend just getting a speedy/powerhouse 1h weapon. Combined with a shield, you're fast enough to get in on any opponent.

A weapon that is hard hitting and fast will be okay, like the steel pick. Your agility would make up for its lack of range (as well as most of the other short 1h weapons).
Your agility will help you get out of sticky situations where slower builds will get surrounded.

I'd save those 4 points you put into power throw, at least until the next patch that fixes throwing comes out.

Offline galneon

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 05:07:46 am »
Thanks guys, I'll hold off on throwing.  It's currently bugged?  What exactly is wrong with it?  I've tried finding bug reports on it, but just come across the fact that it's broken.

Also, I guess I was thinking a little backwards regarding weapon range. I thought I meant need a long-range 1H in order to weave in and out of range, but in truth I should probably be getting as close as possible and turning a lot.  Is the steel pick recommended due to piercing damage?  What are some other good short 1Hs?

Edit: Just read the "Suggestions to re-balance throwing" thread.  Sick what they've done to throwing in this mod.  Guess I'll toss it out of this build :(
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 05:54:01 am by galneon »

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 06:27:30 am »
Power throw needs a few points to become usfull ( like 6 or 7), anyway i similar builds with 12/24 with a short sword.
Major problem was the quite low powerstrike, because if a hit bounces off, then you are toast.
Speed sounds nice on paper and may work in duell situations but in a battle it is not the best option.
You will need a few successful attacks against your higher armoured opponents (which are not so slow at all) while they need only a lucky hit.

Offline Astinus

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Armata Brancaleone
  • Game nicks: AB_Astinus
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 07:36:52 am »
I suggest you to forget about throwing, saves 2 points from wm and 1 from shield and go for a 15/24 build, to do some little more damage. Also with 15 strenght you'll be able to use almost all 1h weapons

Offline Shablagoo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 08:11:43 am »
Throwing was nerfed to the point of uselessness.  I assume it will be fixed eventually but you're better off forgetting about it now and maybe trying it on your second generation (If it's fixed by then).

You also might struggle with glancing blows as a newer player with such low strength.  Maybe 18/18 would be a better starting build?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 09:38:15 am »
I suggest you to forget about throwing, saves 2 points from wm and 1 from shield and go for a 15/24 build, to do some little more damage. Also with 15 strenght you'll be able to use almost all 1h weapons

Agree here, get atleast 5 PS.

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 09:49:34 am »
You should plan your build for level 30. Level 31 takes a long time, you want to be "complete" before that.

Here's my ideal speed build, currently running something like this with a steel pick (with less agi, not yet lvl 30).

Level 30
Strength: 12
Agility: 24
Skills to attributes: 2
Ironflesh: 1
Power Strike: 4
Shield: 8
Athletics: 8
Weapon Master: 8
One Handed: 173

With light armor (tunic over mail or other ~9 weight) you'll be very fast, hit hard enough with the pick and shield holds forever. I wouldn't recommend going with cloth only, a simple armor doesn't cost much and gives you a lot more survivability.

Remember though that this is mainly a support build intended to cover other people and/or strike at ranged units - heavily armored people still take quite a few hits. More strength would obviously give more killing power, but in my opinion speed > all.

I made the mistake of taking throwing as backup as I got annoyed by all the cav and not being able to do anything to them. With slot system huscarl+pick takes 3 slots, so there's not much room for throwing. Ofc if you drop the huscarl and get a 1 slot shield you can get 2 slots worth of throwing, but personally I never really used it much. Even before the slot change I had pick+huscarl+ 2 stacks of franciscas and they were more a distraction than benefit - I would get shot trying to throw them and die. :P
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:53:35 am by Vargas »

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 10:12:01 am »
A light armour is almost a need, rather than a luxury.

Without any armour, a full speed bump from a courser can take most of your HP and all strongbow archers with bodkins can 2 hit kill you. Almost every 2h/polearmer can 1 hit kill you and the majority of shielders will too.

If you want to go for a speedy build, use the one Vargas posted for level 30.
I'd recommend combining it with a fast shield, but that's because I'm not a big fan of huscarl shields.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline galneon

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 11:15:44 am »
Thanks again to all, I'm going to go with Vargas' build...  I was planning the no armor thing for style points, but now I realize it's just not viable to run around only in a robe, at least not at my skill level...  I'm also not optimistic about the future of thrown weapons even after the patch :/

This goes more to play tactics than build, but should this style of build stay in the pocket no matter what versus a 2-hander (think heavily armored versus me with a steel pick), or would I want to move in and out of range versus hammers and shield breakers even with a short weapon?

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 11:22:26 am »
If you wanna go light armor, go with the weight 5-ish armors like studded leather. Or be safe, take the movement penalty of the weight 9+ armors. Also remember that head armor counts 3x, weight wise. Don't go for a weight 3 helmet, it will slow you down too much.

Oh and try the maces as an alternative to the picks. Good luck.

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 11:28:07 am »
If you can manual block, that build is extremely effective without shield too. Pick is insanely fast and hard to block, so you can outspam most opponents once you get to range. You can't miss your blocks though, average 2-hander kills you with two hits.

Maulers are pretty easy to avoid with that build, you can just move away or spam them.

Axemen are probably the hardest ones to deal with. You want to either look for teammates to help you or put the shield on your back and fight without it.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 12:51:38 pm »
If you wanna go light armor, go with the weight 5-ish armors like studded leather. Or be safe, take the movement penalty of the weight 9+ armors. Also remember that head armor counts 3x, weight wise. Don't go for a weight 3 helmet, it will slow you down too much.

Oh and try the maces as an alternative to the picks. Good luck.

I agree to try the maces instead of the picks. If you use say, the Winged Mace it will take (on average) one extra hit to kill people. However you will get knockdown which gives you a free hit in a lot of situations. Also with this build you can easily dance in and out of range of shield breakers. I generally don't put my shield away when using this build since it's so easy to dodge axe swings.

Knightly Heater is a good shield for this build, though if there isn't much ranged on I like to use the buckler to increase my movement speed a bit.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 01:34:21 pm »
If you are running in low armor and worried about weight, the helmet is the first thing I would drop. A low armor helmet will not save you from a headshot or most head strikes anyway, so it is either a good one or nothing. As a bonus I get to see my boldness shine.