Author Topic: Bring back siege mode and save Crpg  (Read 691 times)

Offline MR_FISTA

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Prepare your angus
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoW
  • Game nicks: SoW_MR_FISTA_the_Retribution
  • IRC nick: SoW_MR_FISTA
Bring back siege mode and save Crpg
« on: November 18, 2017, 05:25:36 pm »
+4
I came across this in another thread and it perfectly sums up why myself and alot of others ive spoken to eventually stopped playing crpg.

Why did I fall in love with CRPG? In hindsight it was due to one thing: the euphoria of feeling like a goddamn knight slaughtering the peasants. When I started out right before the level and gear revamp, when levels were uncapped and people rode around in plated chargers and full plate, my main game mode was Siege. Back then people ridiculed siege as noob mode, and all the serious players played on battle. But I loved Siege, I didn't have to wait minutes to respawn and play again, i felt amazing standing on the walls or a bridge just decking people left and right. I was hooked.  Occasionally i would go to battle and play a few rounds just to see where i was at, but when i wanted to have fun, I played siege. This changed when the introduction of the multiplier and upkeep mechanics. Although in theory this was suppose to help out new players level faster and encourage teamplay, in hindsight this killed CRPG Siege and the fun for me because:

1. The goal now was to get multipliers as fast as possible and not really kills, battle became much better for grinding out exp and gold than siege due to the latter's long and fixed round times

2. For some reason, Upkeep was much worse on siege than battle, so players paid more money playing on siege than battle

3. Battle was often dominated by clans or teams that would just stack multipliers because they would just steamroll the noobs/average players.

Siege began to die slowly, as the well geared players moved to battle to avoid the upkeep cost and the noobs left for battle for better grinding and possibly get teamed up with the dominant clan of the day. But ultimately, the death of siege also meant the decline of new players entering CRPG. Noobs playing in battle will never feel that awesome feeling of being unstoppable, because battle is too unforgiving and too unpopulated compared to siege. Without that feeling, why would anyone keep playing CRPG? This is what happened to me, i left around the time WSE2 was introduced and really never looked back until recently.

If your after player numbers a revamp of siege would see many return.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
Re: Bring back siege mode and save Crpg
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 05:44:35 pm »
+3
How would you revamp siege?

(click to show/hide)
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Krex

• Earl
  • Renown: 403
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • How did I get here?
    • View Profile
    • Steam
  • Game nicks: Krex
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 07:43:26 pm »
Personally, I've never really enjoyed battle on cRPG and left shortly after siege died. As far as I can tell, siege losing pop was the first sign of the mod being ded
Quote from: Tomeusz link=topic=45416.msg717346#msg717346
horse just standing on 2 feets and does "yhohohohoh".

Offline Nickleback

• Hero of The Chamber of Tears
  • Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 263
  • cRPG Player
  • Sheogorath -a Daedra Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 12:05:29 am »
Lel i was gonna endeavor to explain but torben already did,hjust think about it dumb shit why are u tiring us.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 01:00:59 am »
People have made the point before but siege as a gamemode was always more vulnerable to population falling. You can still reasonably play battle with just a dozen people, you need at the very least 20+ people for siege.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 12:56:27 pm »
+2
Siege really shines when there's a lot of players fighting over the castle, if the mod manages to bring back enough players with DTV, Battle and maybe even Strat, there's surely hope for siege aswell

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 01:17:41 pm »
+1
Siege is pretty fun but I tend to like having some time to rest/get a beer/answer a text between fights. I could definitely see myself playing some siege here and there if it was populated but Strat/Battle would always be my #1.