Author Topic: I am now a proud gun owner.  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: I am now a proud gun owner.
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 04:06:52 pm »
Yes, I did, but you clearly didn't, since you think the person you quoted is somehow presenting an argument for (or against) cleaning guns with water.

I've been in the military. You haven't. My arguments therefore carry 100 times more weight when it comes to cleaning guns.

Jesus christ man how can you not read and think you're still so smart. He's saying the way the military does it is fucked but he doesn't want to raise the issue because he's almost out. Is that simple enough for you to understand now? Again, if you read the links you posted THOROUGHLY, you'll see that some people (mostly military) do and other people don't. Your argument, if that's what I can even call it at this point, is as full of shit as you are. You were only in the military because your government made you be. Let's face it.  :lol:

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 04:11:07 pm »
Jesus christ man how can you not read and think you're still so smart. He's saying the way the military does it is fucked but he doesn't want to raise the issue because he's almost out.
No, he's saying that the way his unit does it is fucked up, because they're not doing it properly. See, the thing is, I'm smart and can understand nuances. You're not, so you can't -- you see "we do X with water even though we shouldn't, this results in bad things" and think "hmm, water = bad."

Is that simple enough for you to understand now? Again, if you read the links you posted THOROUGHLY, you'll see that some people (mostly military) do and other people don't.
Yes, imagine that -- a thing that some people do and some don't. Clearly this means the portion of people doing it are wrong. And even better, you've decided to cherry pick one of the people who aren't in favor (of doing it wrong....) to champion your cause, while not quoting anyone who thinks it's good. Again, something that a lot of the less clever folk don't realize is that cherry picked opinions don't mean anything, even if (as isn't the case here) they're talking about the right subject.

Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 04:23:54 pm »
Xant he clearly says "in the Army", not in my unit in the Army. L2Read. Go reread your links as well. You'll see it's about a 50/50 split as I've said before. As per my previous statement IR Kouin is a new gun owner so he should stick to the easiest and most effective way to clean his gun, until he gets familiar with breaking it down piece by piece. Here we go again with the cherry pickin'. How bout you cherry pick your ass to the nearest place that's hiring and quit leeching off your government.

water + carbon steel = flash rust (if it's not 110% dry)

Please stop being retarded.

Since you want quotes I'll give you quotes:

"
In general, if you aren't using corrosive ammo, I wouldn't bother with water. I use it for some hard to clean gun parts myself, but mostly just with corrosive and blackpowder. " ~ some guy on the internet

"However... firearms of today are much more complicated affairs. Lots more moving parts machined to higher tolerances, and many more tiny crevices for water to hide in.

I think that you would actually end up costing yourself more work, since after your gun was dripping wet, you would HAVE to clean and oil every square millimeter of it. Had you stayed away from the hose, just the bore and action would have needed your attention." ~ another guy on the internet

"You don't need to use water to clean firearms if you're shooting only modern non-corrosive ammunition in them. You can as the Marine Corps manual states, but modern cleaning materials will get the job done without exposing your gun's metal to water, which may cause rust if not thoroughly dried" ~ some guy from the internet

"Be careful with really hot water, as flash rusting can occur. I always use a dash of Ballistol in water I clean guns with, and forget the detergent!" ~ another internet warrior

"It's OKAY (as in probably won't damage your gun) if you dry the gun off well afterward and make sure that all the internal components are dry. I'd avoid using any soaps or detergents as they can leave a film on the firearm.

That being said, even if you dry the gun well afterward, water is usually not as great a solvent as Hoppes, CLP or other powder solvents.

I would just find a preferred solvent and use that instead of water." ~ not the hero we need

"If you fire corrosive ammo in your weapon I would recommend using water, and a very mild soap. If not firing corrosive I wouldn't recommend it." ~ wow another guy from the internet

"Like some others here, I use hot, soapy water for blackpowder. For a poly or stainless gun, water may be no problem. However, I'd be careful about springs (especially small plunger springs) since they would be carbon/spring steel." ~ this is getting boring

"
I don't, because I no longer shoot corrosive ammo except in the Mosin Nagant, and that gets boresnaked. That's the only thing I've heard of using hot water for. I don't like the idea of water messing up the wood or getting between it and the action and rusting it." ~ cherry picked number whatever

"I have seen rifles cleaned in very hot water in the Army. The water usually evaporates bedore it gets a chance to start any corrosion. I can't see how this does any better than a solvent but I have seen it done." ~ More quotes from the internet

"I never did the water thing when I was in the army [1980's] but new a couple of guys that did. I allways thought water+metal=rust." ~ Ooooo a contrary army response what will we do now?!?!

"I don't.

Isn't the old saying, "Water and wood, no good. Water and steel, bad deal."?

I also don't use degreasers. I use CLP type products.

The only reason can see to take all the lube off a gun is to get something to stick to the gun, like a new finish or sight paint, etc." ~ Shit man we good?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:39:38 pm by Bronto »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 04:35:20 pm »
Xant he clearly says "in the Army", not in my unit in the Army. L2Read. Go reread your links as well. You'll see it's about a 50/50 split as I've said before. As per my previous statement IR Kouin is a new gun owner so he should stick to the easiest and most effective way to clean his gun, until he gets familiar with breaking it down piece by piece. Here we go again with the cherry pickin'. How bout you cherry pick your ass to the nearest place that's hiring and quit leeching off your government.

water + carbon steel = flash rust (if it's not 110% dry)

Please stop being retarded.

Since you want quotes I'll give you quotes:
"In the Army" means "when I was in the Army, in my unit we did X", since a single person cannot experience all of the Army at once (which should be extremely easy to deduce even with ~70 IQ), and as other posters affirm, what he describes is not common practice in the Army as a whole (for obvious reasons).

Why would I need to reread my links? How do you think a 50-50 split proves me wrong in any way? I suppose I shouldn't have expected you to understand the context, but you said:
"NEVER and I mean NEVER use water to do it" to which I replied that there's nothing wrong with using water. Yet somehow 50-50 split of people (and note that those not doing it aren't not doing it because they're principally opposed to using water to clean their guns, but in fact in many cases simply don't feel the need or hadn't heard of it) vindicates your "NEVER, I mean NEVER do it!!!!!!!" argument. As any halfway reasonable person will note, a 50-50 split strongly supports my claim and contradicts yours.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2017, 04:41:40 pm »
+2
My Never and I mean Never do it, is because he's:

1. not in the military
2. not firing black powder
3. new gun owner
4. you're wrong
5. I'm right
6. Deal with it

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2017, 04:43:47 pm »
My Never and I mean Never do it, is because he's:

1. not in the military
2. not firing black powder
3. new gun owner
4. you're wrong
5. I'm right
6. Deal with it
I suggest you research the definition of "never" and then think about your line of reasoning again.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2017, 04:47:45 pm »
My line of reasoning is sound. He's not a fucking navy seal. He just needs a simple way to clean his gun and I'd assume he doesn't want it to rust in places he can't see.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2017, 04:48:42 pm »
My line of reasoning is sound. He's not a fucking navy seal. He just needs a simple way to clean his gun and I'd assume he doesn't want it to rust in places he can't see.
Navy seals don't use guns.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 04:56:21 pm »
+3

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2017, 06:02:45 pm »
+5

(click to show/hide)

Don't water your gun

Thanks A LOT Paul now my plant is DEAD
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:12:54 pm by njames89 »

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PeaceNiks
  • Game nicks: Archibot, MongolKhanTheBeerThirsty, Yerowbix
  • IRC nick: Archibot
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2017, 06:12:56 pm »
+4
I was in the military and never cleaned a gun once lol, I would recommend windex and nitric acid to really get it clean and shiny.  I am 100% more qualified in my opinions.

I've been in the military. You haven't. My arguments therefore carry 100 times more weight when it comes to cleaning guns.
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut