Author Topic: Crushing blocks with polearms  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Sharky

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Legione Italica
  • Game nicks: LEGIO_Sharkyborn_Sharkatron Legio_Lollia_Paolina Legio_Sharkatrower Legio_SharkaNukes
Crushing blocks with polearms
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:09:17 pm »
I want to start a new char with high power strike, able to crush blocks. I wanted to try the polearms to do that, but i see that all the polearms have low weight  :(
Are two handed weapons the only viable choice, or is it possible to use some polearm to crush blocks, other then the long great maul (that i don't like much)?

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
Re: Crushing blocks with polearms
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 04:20:50 pm »
Sadly only 1 polearm can crush through and it's terribly slow.

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 04:35:58 pm »
Sadly only 1 polearm can crush through and it's terribly slow.

However, since every class in CRPG got nerfed with the patch, with the sole exception of polearm users, polearms are an incredibly solid choice for a character.

The 2 handed weapons that have crushthrough don't reliably do so(I tested it with PS 12), with the exception of the great maul, which is shorter and just as slow as the long great maul.
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 04:39:29 pm »
A crush through weapon doesn't necessary need to be 200 range to be effective else it would be OP.

A crush through weapon is there as a side arm not as a weapon you should use all the time (Burrick) I use an iron mace and I don't ever remember crushing trough with but I like it because it's a fast blunt weapon eventhough they changed it's thrust animation to polearm =/

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 04:46:59 pm »
The OP was looking for a build built around crushing through blocks, so that was the aspect of the conversation I focused on. There are several weapons that have unreliable crush-through and short length that are still excellent weapons due to their other stats/special abilities.

Offline Sharky

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Legione Italica
  • Game nicks: LEGIO_Sharkyborn_Sharkatron Legio_Lollia_Paolina Legio_Sharkatrower Legio_SharkaNukes
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 06:27:45 pm »
I saw many times iron maces, bar maces and morningstars crushing trough my shielder, but probably is because he is still low level. I don't want to use great mauls or mauls, they would be really too slow with a pure strenght build   :(

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 07:56:34 pm »
I saw many times iron maces, bar maces and morningstars crushing trough my shielder, but probably is because he is still low level. I don't want to use great mauls or mauls, they would be really too slow with a pure strenght build   :(

Yes, it's because you're using a crappy shield. Get a better one and they won't crush through it.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 08:00:13 pm »
1h/shield always have less resistance to block crush than pole/2h but a heavier shield will help
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 08:01:46 pm by Banok »

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 08:07:02 pm »
1h/shield always have less resistance to block crush than pole/2h but a heavier shield will help

This isn't entirely true. During my block-crushing tests, I crushed through two-handers and polearms more than I crushed through huscarl shields.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 08:10:13 pm »
The heavier the weapon/shield your blocking the crush through with the less chance he/she has of succeeding.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 08:12:11 pm »
depends on the weight, cmp gave me the code yesterday. the attacking calculation I dont entirely get yet but defenders is easy.

block_factor = blocking_item.weight * 0.2 + 5.0

if (blocking_item.type is polearm or 2h) * by 1.2

so a polearm need to be heavier than 3.5 to be better than huskarl shield (9).

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 08:44:10 pm »
Oh, the master of barmace has spoken.

Polearms have a heavy crush through weapon, its called long maul or something. With only 5 powerstrike I usually crushed through a shield (with the right "movement"). However, its risky, if you miss him, he will simply outspam you because its so slow.

So maybe 2h and barmace or morningstar is a better choice. However, you need to be really good at manuell blocking because your opponent has in most cases a longer weapon.

So, it depends, on what you want.

Both is possible.

Some are very effective with 2h crushthrough (Burrick, Banok), Ape was very effective with Boulder on a stick (nowadays long maul, the mentionned polearm).

I cant tell you whats better, you just have to find out for yourselves.

Good luck, and have fun with the game!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline AirPhforce

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 08:48:42 pm »
However, since every class in CRPG got nerfed with the patch, with the sole exception of polearm users, polearms are an incredibly solid choice for a character.

The 2 handed weapons that have crushthrough don't reliably do so(I tested it with PS 12), with the exception of the great maul, which is shorter and just as slow as the long great maul.

Polearms were the only character-type not nerfed?

That leaves only archer. Someone has now said that about every weapon type but archery now.