Poll

Should the English Bill-Hook have "bonus against shield"?

Yes!
16 (45.7%)
No! (please justify)
19 (54.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: The English Bill-Hook  (Read 1033 times)

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • For England, and Saint George!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Killmoar_the_Lone_Knight
  • IRC nick: ToxicKilla
The English Bill-Hook
« on: May 28, 2011, 01:47:24 pm »
The English Bill-Hook is at the moment, a more expensive less usefull version of the Swiss Halberd. Both weapons served the same purpose on the battlefield, anti-cav and anti-shield. But the Bill-hook doesn't have "bonus against shield". It needs it. Then it may just be nearly worth the 9000 gold it costs.

Offline Diavolo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Engineering student - Will pwn your ass in physics
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templars
  • Game nicks: Templar_Diavolo, Aleta
Re: The English Bill-Hook
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 02:06:52 pm »
The english bill-hook is the longest "melee-able" polearm. Im guessing they didnt add bonus vs shield on it to avoid people backpedaling and swinging with it since its so long, making it hard for shielders to beat.

For the balance with the swiss halberd, the damage is about equal. The speed is 2 less, and the lenght is 12 more. I think there are 2 options in balancing the weapon:

• Reduce price of the English Bill-Hook to about the same as the Swiss Halberd
or
  • Add bonus vs shield of the English Bill-hook and increase its price to about 11500ish. 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 03:42:08 pm »
Honestly I don't think it needs it. I use it a lot actually. It's a fantastic support weapon especially with its overhead of doom. If I really need to break a shield, I just pull out my German Poleaxe.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 04:11:56 pm »
Bill-Hooks weren't designed to break shields; they were designed to pull knights off horses, and trim trees. Giving them a bonus to shields would be like giving a scimitar a bonus to shields: it would not fit the weapon in question.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 04:45:48 pm »
Wut? The bill is an awesome weapon and a great long range tin opener. I got a whole character dedicated to billing and its fun. No buff needed.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 05:32:15 pm »
Bill-Hooks weren't designed to break shields; they were designed to pull knights off horses, and trim trees. Giving them a bonus to shields would be like giving a scimitar a bonus to shields: it would not fit the weapon in question.
This.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 06:56:04 pm »
you want to break shields use a slashing weapon nub. Pierce weapons are OP enough.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 07:47:06 am »
Wut? The bill is an awesome weapon and a great long range tin opener. I got a whole character dedicated to billing and its fun. No buff needed.
I have to agree. It is the best at opening tin cans. And it is one of the if not the best overheading weapon in the game for use in a support role too!
I have so many gimmick character names I want to make use of it still based on can openers, bill collectors, tax men, tree trimmers...
One day.

Now, on the note it should be given bonus to shield? it wasn't used vs shields. Yes, you could hook and pull a shield from somebody, but that was not it's primary role. It was best at pulling knights off horses and pinning them down. You could hook into the armor slots on a dismounted knight too and completely incapacitate (then kill) him with 2 or so more of your peasant buddies! A great weapon historically.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:49:38 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 11:26:29 am »
I am not sure why it does pierce damage on overheads - it has a curved blade, but it is still a blade, not a beak. If it could have knockdown that would be more appropriate, but I think KD only works on blunt damage even if it has the KD flag.

Anyway, old Bill it perhaps the best 2-way polearm. It is not less useful than the Swiss, quite the opposite, except that the swiss is a bit easier to use in close quarters (which neither is very suited to). I don't consider "bonus vs. shields" a big thing unless you have a very high damage (40++) weapon that can repeatedly hack on the shield. The Swiss looks so cool and I suck so bad anyway that I used it even though I had 1 wpf in poles.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 06:20:14 pm »
In my opinion the Swiss needs a buff rather then the English bill who has and insane nice overhead  :lol:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.