Author Topic: Cryonics and cheating death  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
Re: Cryonics and cheating death
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2016, 12:54:06 pm »
Actually, if you read the article (and the linked sources), it is clear that the current process is far from what might be considered good enough for brain preservation.

Yes, this is still very early stage. The people researching cryonics & co are very avant-guardists and still have much to do before the public trust them. People undergoing those operations today are betting their life and could be considered anvat-guardist too.
Whats reasonable to consider is that in a couple decade or so it will be a much more commonly accepted method to preserve the terminally ill; even possibly warp around time, for those that have the money and the desire.

I consider this topic extremely interesting, on par with space topics. Cheating death and reaching for the stars should be #1 lifegoal of the human race.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2016, 06:16:13 pm »
"Betting their life", as opposed to the sure chance of dying if they don't undergo those operations. The plane analogy within the link is very fitting. The new breakthroughs with animals the article mentions are very important and show that as a concept, it has an extremely good chance of working.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2016, 06:37:05 pm »
So let's say I freeze myself, and it's a 100% success. My body wakes up some time in the future with all the memories and everything. But how can I be sure that it's me who wakes up, not just the body? You might as well kill me and create an identical clone.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2016, 08:17:29 pm »
Huh? Because it'd be no different than going to sleep and waking up. It's... your brain. Where do you think "you" exist?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2016, 08:20:57 pm »
"Betting their life", as opposed to the sure chance of dying if they don't undergo those operations.

You know that this isnt aimed only at terminally ill people right?
Even to those people, it could be preferable living their remaining days, opposed to dying today being the subject of an experimental technology that will potentially fail.
=> Even people that "have a sure chance of dying" would bet the life they still have, in case you have reading comprehension issue.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2016, 08:54:51 pm »
Huh? Because it'd be no different than going to sleep and waking up. It's... your brain. Where do you think "you" exist?
It would be a lot different. When you go to sleep, your heart continues beating, blood continues flowing, brain is still active - you're alive. When you get frozen, you die. Then your body gets reanimated, but there's no guarantee it will keep its previous point of view.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2016, 09:01:31 pm »
It would be a lot different. When you go to sleep, your heart continues beating, blood continues flowing, brain is still active - you're alive. When you get frozen, you die. Then your body gets reanimated, but there's no guarantee it will keep its previous point of view.

Would you say the same for sleep? There are a few arguments about the stream of consciousness ending when one is not awake/conscious. Thus a new you exists every time the stream is interrupted.

Unless you mean that the freezing possibly alters your brain, then that's a different story.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2016, 09:32:56 pm »

What is the difference between a being that lives continuously and one that does not? There's no "stream of consciousness", not even between the moment you read this word and this one.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2016, 10:34:18 pm »
You know that this isnt aimed only at terminally ill people right?
Even to those people, it could be preferable living their remaining days, opposed to dying today being the subject of an experimental technology that will potentially fail.
=> Even people that "have a sure chance of dying" would bet the life they still have, in case you have reading comprehension issue.
I know a whole lot more than you do. One of the things I know is that you didn't read the article, and your misconceptions would be cleared up by reading it.

What does beating of the heart and flowing of the blood have anything to do with anything? How do those things affect who you are?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2016, 11:09:00 pm »
What is the difference between a being that lives continuously and one that does not? There's no "stream of consciousness", not even between the moment you read this word and this one.
I know a whole lot more than you do. One of the things I know is that you didn't read the article, and your misconceptions would be cleared up by reading it.
What does beating of the heart and flowing of the blood have anything to do with anything? How do those things affect who you are?
How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real?