Poll

Do you think that one-handed weapons are too slow given their length and weight compared to other weapons that would be more cumbersome?

Yes, one-handed weapons need a speed boost to compensate for their short range.
No, I think one-handed weapons are too fast already.
No (it's all perfectly balanced)
I don't know, I just want a bagel.

Author Topic: Are one-handed weapons not fast enough? (comparative)  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
Re: Are one-handed weapons not fast enough? (comparative)
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 04:17:17 pm »
1h only have speed penalty on the first hit, because of the shield lowering time. After the shield is lowered you swing faster and can outspam any 2h/polearm with similar build (except katana).

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 07:06:57 pm »
Try waving a bat in real life as fast as you can wave your arm. If you can manage to do that you get +10 master-fap points.

I love all of these realism geeks who try to push it on the game and who simultaneously totally fail to take realism into account.
Someone who practices waving the bat around like that is going to get really really good at it.  thats why they make you practice sports and martial arts.  hence WPF points that exist in the game.  proficiency levels.  It means your guy practiced it, and put time and effort into learning that particular skill.

of course YOU cant do it.  you dont go outside and wave the bat around for a few hours a day to get better at it.  dont try comparing yourself to an RPG character or a real life warrior who supposedly DID spend his time doing just those excercises
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:09:21 pm by jspook »
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 08:15:32 pm »
1h only have speed penalty on the first hit, because of the shield lowering time. After the shield is lowered you swing faster and can outspam any 2h/polearm with similar build (except katana...

... bastard swords, spears, quarterstaves and people who turn their attacks).

Offline Diavolo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Engineering student - Will pwn your ass in physics
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templars
  • Game nicks: Templar_Diavolo, Aleta
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 09:47:48 pm »
When Im playing as infantry I hope to encounter people with polearms. They are slower and I can hit them if they dont block too well. Second best I hope to encounter 2handers. They are faster than polepeople, but I can still kill them if they dont block too well. And then there are the 1h/shield people. Those are the ones who kill me every time, the people I just cant kill. They block all my hits and their shield never breaks, even if I use a bonus vs shield weapon. The shielders also have the option to facehug me, making more of my hits glance if get one in. Only effective way to kill a shielder is feinting or chamberblocks.

So, if all shielders suddenly were gone from cRPG it would be easier for me to play. (though it would be less fun, I like diversity) Does that mean that they are underpowered? Nope. I think shielders are balanced.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Joseph

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • I am your worst french nightmare.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 09:59:25 pm »
I feel that one-handed weapons are at a disadvantage, especially those that cannot block.

Several daggers have a high rate of speed, but it seems to have very little effect (negligible?), and their arming and recovery are too slow for how light of a weapon they are.
Two-handed weapons can recover and rearm just as quickly and that seems sort of silly to me. Try waving a bat in real life as fast as you can wave your arm. If you can manage to do that you get +10 master-fap points.

Even if the game isn't realistic, mostly because it's a game, when you miss target or whatever with your sword, you do a kind of circle with it and you gain even more velocity. Have you ever tried to throw a paper ball and a baseball one? wich one will go further? you got your answer.
"Dam those peasants bite hard"

Offline verinen

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Verinen
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 03:16:43 pm »
"No, I think one-handed weapons are too fast already."

Said guy with Danish Greatsword, who is faster even than the guy with 1h spammitar.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 03:18:50 pm by verinen »

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 03:30:38 pm »
"No, I think one-handed weapons are too fast already."

Said guy with Danish Greatsword, who is faster even than the guy with 1h spammitar.

Well, obviously, if the 1h spammitar got 30 str and 6/agi, he'll most definitely be slower thanan 18/18 Danish Greatsword user. -_-
Stop the failing already... when we do "usefull" feedback, speak about same wpf for both users.
Spammitar isn't called so for nothing.

"No, i think it's well balanced" is my vote. And it also seems to be the community one so far.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Wildling

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 04:14:17 pm »
The only thing that needs to be tweaked is 1hand- thrust.