Author Topic: The great thread of swear words  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
Re: The great thread of swear words
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2015, 11:13:00 am »
I remember hearing an anecdote about an English speaking guy who visited Turkey. His friend/host took him to a market to sample all kinds of Turkish food, and the English speaker saw some lovely looking perfectly ripe peaches. He said to his friend (in English) "Can we get some peaches to have with dinner?" and the Turkish guy got super freaked out and kept saying "You can't say that word here! It's a very bad word! Don't say it again!" The English speaker had no idea what bad word he said.

The Turkish word piç sounds almost exactly like the English word "peach." It means bastard, and "bastard" is a much stronger insult in Turkish than it is in English. It's up there with motherfucker and cunt (American/British cunt, not Australian cunt. that's a whole 'nother cunt). The English "bastard" is so tame we barely even use it any more.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, Turk forum buddies. I don't remember all the details of the story 100% but I checked google translate and piç does mean bastard in Turkish at least :)

also: goddamnit Sweden, really? Really?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

What wrong with nogger? Doesnt even sound like niger. People hating on icecream, soon 88:an will probably be removed for being näzi.

Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: The great thread of swear words
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2015, 06:11:29 pm »
Thread like this without 7 dirty words? Blasphemy!